Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
AC909 OP
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,075
DR650 Tank Panniers that do not hit riders knees?

I have searched and tried nearly every set of tank panniers on the motorcycle and ATV market and cannot find a set of tank panniers that do not either hit my knees or sit under my knees while riding. I have the IMS tank installed and would love to have a little storage on the tank besides a tank bag. Anyone have any suggestions that have worked for them? It absolutely drives me nuts to have something banging up against my knees while riding. Pictures are a plus!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,727
I have a set of some ATV tank panniers that came with my DR. The p.o. had it velcro'd to the (IMS) tank so they would not interfere with his knees, while he was riding. I don't prefer this set up but can appreciate your query. Let me see if I can at least determine what he bought (as I still have it, someplace). You may need to look for something that has securing straps so that the pannier can be held (somewhat) in-place and away from your knees. Aerostitch Tank Panniers come to mind (available in 2 sizes, I believe).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
I have searched and tried nearly every set of tank panniers on the motorcycle and ATV market and cannot find a set of tank panniers that do not either hit my knees or sit under my knees while riding. I have the IMS tank installed and would love to have a little storage on the tank besides a tank bag. Anyone have any suggestions that have worked for them? It absolutely drives me nuts to have something banging up against my knees while riding. Pictures are a plus!
How long are your legs? I just sit further back on the seat, but I have a 30" inseam.

I also have lowered passenger and rider pegs, as well as having a set of touring pegs bolted to the skid. You could also try a taller seat. My rider pegs are also moved rearward about 1".

The only tank panniers I can see being further forward than most would be something like Wolfman's. They use 2 straps across the top of the tank, instead of a piece of fabric with a hole for the filler. With the strap design, you could position the panniers as far forward as the straps allow, but you're probably going to be interfering with steering lock by then.

If you can't find a set of tank panniers that work for you, look at front fender packs, handlebar bags, numberplate bags, numberplate (front) racks, or maybe a hydration pack. A rear fender bag can also be pretty easy to access.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,972
I sold the Wolfman tank panniers that came with my used DR650 because they hit my knees, and I have a 30" inseam. This was on a stock gas tank.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
AC909 OP
Great Job!

I tried the Wolfman bags and they hit my knees as bad as any of them. I thought about trying the Velcro idea but I thought that the fumes from the tank would eat up the adhesive like they do with non perforated tank decals. I even tried the Giant Loop Buck n Roll tank bag that wraps around the top and sides of the tank with no success.
I am not a big person by any means with a 32-33 inch inseam and have a Sargent seat. I have a front fender bag as well as the Wolfman number plate bag but that big blank canvas of a tank keeps me wanting to put some luggage on it.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

My velcro sticks pretty well to my IMS, but I use a 3" wide strip that runs the full length of the tank. It's been on there almost a year now.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
AC909 OP
Great Job!

I will keep the velcro in mind in that case. My only concern is that if the velcro ever lost its hold your bags are pretty much goners. Also, I would think that you wouldn’t be able to put too much weight in them if they were just held by velcro. Then again, I would more than likely not put anything besides smaller items like wallet, camera, etc. in them anyways. Do you secure yours in any other ways as a backup incase the adhesive would give out?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Mine drop over the fuel filler, then are held in place by the cap. The weight of the contents also helps to hold the bags down. The velcro comes apart occasionally if I don't have much inside a bag, but it fastens right back down. It would stick better if the velcro on the bags themselves was as big/good as the huge pieces on the tank.

My tank panniers are cheapies, BTW. They're ATV Logic, and my knees are snugged right up against them....30" inseam, w/lowered rider pegs.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
There is more room if you use a Safari tank for tank panniers. I little thought with the webbing and the Wolfmans work fine. On mine, the rear of the bags is more or less in line with the tank filler. I'm 6'2" or so and I can get right forward no worries.

Using velcro on a plastic tank is only temporary. The fuel vapour will leach through and weaken the adhesive, just like it does to stickers and paint.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
AC909 OP
Great Job!

While I was doing my search I did see that the panniers worked much better with the Safari. Your Wolfman Expedition tank panniers look awesome on there! I wish that Wolfman still made theirs in the Expedition line. I am going to experiment a bit more with the Giant Loop Buck n Roll tonight and see if I can come up with a solution as I really like the size of them. If I can get them mounted properly there should be absolutely no leg interference with the BnR bag as well. I will post whatever I may come up with tonight good, bad, or ugly.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Wilderrider is riding his DR down to Panama. He's now in southern Mexico, one month into his trip.

He's using a set of Aerostich tank panniers on his Safari tank. I use a Giant Loop Fandango tank bag, but it does interfere a little with "the boys" when standing and leaning forward. I too have a Safari tank, so I asked him whether he felt they fouled his knees. He said something to the effect of "they touch my knees, but it's not a problem."

Here's his RR for more info. You may want to email or PM him directly for more info about his setup.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824076
Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Found this other pic which gives a better idea of how forward mine are. They too, just kiss my knees, and the tank bag just kisses too, especially when packed. It could be taller, but not any more back for me.

Wilderrider's do look too far back for me.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
AC909 OP
Great Job!

"He's using a set of Aerostich tank panniers on his Safari tank. I use a Giant Loop Fandango tank bag, but it does interfere a little with "the boys" when standing and leaning forward. I too have a Safari tank, so I asked him whether he felt they fouled his knees. He said something to the effect of "they touch my knees, but it's not a problem.""

Cool RR. I see the picture of his bike and my legs already get claustrophobic. I have not tried the Aerostich bags but they look like they would be the same as the Wolfman for me if not worse.

BergDonk, I have seen your bike in the past while doing DR research and have drooled over your VSM parts (especially the front sprocket guard) and your bad mama jama skid/storage plate! One of these days Im just going to brake down and order me one up.
Thanks for all of the help everyone. I will post pics of what I come up with out in the garage tonight. I am still open to any other ideas!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
"He's using a set of Aerostich tank panniers on his Safari tank. I use a Giant Loop Fandango tank bag, but it does interfere a little with "the boys" when standing and leaning forward. I too have a Safari tank, so I asked him whether he felt they fouled his knees. He said something to the effect of "they touch my knees, but it's not a problem.""

Cool RR. I see the picture of his bike and my legs already get claustrophobic. I have not tried the Aerostich bags but they look like they would be the same as the Wolfman for me if not worse.

BergDonk, I have seen your bike in the past while doing DR research and have drooled over your VSM parts (especially the front sprocket guard) and your bad mama jama skid/storage plate! One of these days Im just going to brake down and order me one up.
Thanks for all of the help everyone. I will post pics of what I come up with out in the garage tonight. I am still open to any other ideas!
Don't get too excited about the VSM sprocket guard. Mine broke all by itself from vibration induced fatigue. Supposedly they have been beefed up, so may not be an issue any more, although having seen what they did, dunno. Sharp creases in al sheet. I made my own in the end, fits better, and stronger.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #15
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,685
I use 2 sets of long skinny ATV fender bags tied together. I used a hose clamp to fasten a small washer to the oil cooler guard as a tie-down point on the right. I did the same thing on the frame downtube for the left. Use small bungy cords to pull around and hook into the washers. Nothing fancy but has worked well for miles and miles. I get them here:

http://www.discountramps.com/atv-fender-tank-bag.htm

Sarah