Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,752
I never use the low octane fuel (LOF) switch. Tried it, didn't see much of a difference. Its effect is mostly above 25% throttle opening, much more throttle than I use when off-road.

You could use TuneECU to retard the timing, esp. in the low throttle/low rpm. It should give you more control and less snap. But, it would reduce the fuel mileage and power too.

I've had an idea for a while to create two power settings. Use the LOF ignition map to create this 'soft throttle' setting using TuneECU. Then put a switch on the handlebars to control which map to use. The LOF map for off-road and the normal map for on-road mileage and aggressive situations.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
You could always unplug the octane wire and run 87 octane gas. Depends on the A/F map. Some say it makes things worse. On some bikes it just takes the edge off. It's free, so worth a try.

Good call! I forgot about that as it was the first thing I did to mellow the lurchy throttle while offroad. That butters up the throttle a bit for sure.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
I've had an idea for a while to create two power settings. Use the LOF ignition map to create this 'soft throttle' setting using TuneECU. Then put a switch on the handlebars to control which map to use. The LOF map for off-road and the normal map for on-road mileage and aggressive situations.
Sort of what I had in mind. Just never have enough time on the dyno to finish it. Advancing the timing on the regular map for my elevation. Then switch the standard maps into the LOF map so when I go to sea level I can have no worries.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #19
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
How does it work? The LOF switch, a switch in the ECU, set by TuneECU - or the KTM diagnostic tool - to switch the ECU to use this LOF ignition map, an alternative ignition map??

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #20
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
How does it work? The LOF switch, a switch in the ECU, set by TuneECU - or the KTM diagnostic tool - to switch the ECU to use this LOF ignition map, an alternative ignition map??
There is a wire under the front of the seat. Forgot the colors. Someone will chime in and tell you. Just unplug it. It's pretty common in FI ECU's these days. When the ECU comes on it looks for a ground. If the wire isn't grounded then it reverts back to a different map. The 990 map is just reduced ignition timing for Low Octane Fuel. As if you were going somewhere and only 86 octane was available.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,752
Tahoecr, I'll take BROWN for a guess.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #22
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
I disagree, you are able to go a lot slower then a stock 990 with greater control even in 2nd gear and as for the deceleration all you need to do is blip the throttle and she engages and slows you down. As for bump starting you are able to bump start the newer Rekluse.

I say this from experience and not from something I've read.

I too thought "I don't need no stinkin Auto Clutch" but now that I have one I can go places I couldn't before. Find someone that has the newer version and take it for a spin, you'll be impressed with the transformation.
My experience as well. In the super slow tight stuff it slips the clutch far more accurately than I could ever do. Also, slow technical climbs in second gear really tame the off idle fueling kick and give you much better traction.

Some folks like it, some dont. I happen to love the Rekluse on the big bike.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote