User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
For those that Fly & Ride????

Quick question for those who fly and rent a bike when they get there. Do you take your own helmet with you and do you have any problems with them as "carry-on". My wife and I are going to Costa Rica in a month to ride for a week and relax a few more. I plan on taking our own riding gear (atgatt) and will check most of it, however I want to carry my wifes and my helmets as carry-on. I plan on calling the airline first but that doesn't mean what they say on the phone will match what they say at the gate. Anyone "been there done that"?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
cafebmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Just did that last month to Ireland, no problems carrying on a helmet with a carry on bag. I got some flack on the way home as I packed my gerbings controller in my carry-on by mistake. Security loved that one, but it made sense to them as my heated gloves were in the carry-on as well. I brought gear to California before doing the same thing. I would rather wear my own gear then get something that doesn't fit right.
cafebmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Absolutely no problem at all over the past ten years. I always carry on all my riding gear so it doesn't get lost in transport. I have only had one complete search and that was this year in Barcelona, Spain returning from riding the Pyrenees. I usually pack things like gloves and toiletries in the helmet. I can see that heated gear may cause a problem going through security.

The only problem carrying my helmet on the plane is getting it in some of the overhead compartments, but that is usually only a problem on the small two or three seating row commuter planes.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Robert^
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I haven't had problems. I consider it a "hat" as far as what I am allowed to board with and what is counted as carry on. Similarly, I consider my gear to be a "coat" and "pants" or outerwear. A Roadcrafter will pretty much fully pack a carry on sized volume.
Robert^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

Thanks. I can probibly fly in most my gear, it's comfortable enough and carry our helmets. I'm also taking my tank bag on as carry on. I've lined it with foam for my camera, extra lens, and HD camera. Helmets can be loaded with stuff and my wife can do another carry on. Should be good even if our luggage doesn't make it. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
DirtRider....
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Did it also last month and had no issues. was a lil cumbersome to carry due to shape. i just put it in my helmet bag and carried it by the strings. no flack from security at all. i had my scala installed on my helmet and they didn't even check it out.
DirtRider.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Yeah, no problem carrying on. I've got a standard helmet bag like this one:

Gloves, sunglasses, etc. can go inside the helmet. When I flew to London and then on to Mumbai for Enduro India in 2010, we were very restricted as far as checked luggage weight went. I ended up taking my helmet bag as a second carry-on and wore my MC jacket and boots onto the plane. Not the most comfortable way I've ever flown, but it freed up a lot of space in my luggage...
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Throw another one in here. I've carried-on my helmets back and forth from the USA-Middle East and back again no problems. The helmets will fit under the seat in front of you on some ACs and in most bins.

As a side note, I always wear my jacket and pack it up with stuff for the flight. It's also comfy, looks good and occasionally you'll get some conversations going during a layover in the terminal pubs, especially with the helmet in tow. I leave the pads in - one less thing to pack and mess around with.

Enjoy the trip!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

Yea we're planning on wearing our jackets, can't miss me I'm hi-vis yellow. I'm gonna travel in riding boots. The mrs plans on good hiking boots but I still want here to take her riding boots. Starting to get things ready, 18 days and counting.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Did a Edelweiss Trip in the Alps a couple of years ago with the wife. We just took an extra carry on with all of our riding gear in it. Worked out great, just cost a couple extra bucks. Been to Costa Rica, but without the bike, you will have a great time however you choose to do it.
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Inked
Tattooed Biker

Oddometer: 175
No problems at all.

No problem....I just rode in Spain/France and also in Netherlands and Belgium...carried helmet on with no issue. My Arai fits in the overhead of the larger trans-atlantic planes, but not the smaller planes. I just slid it under the seat in front of me....No issues whatsoever with TSA.

Regards,
John

BMW R1200 GS Adventure
Inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Quick suggestion on the shoes. Don't know what your riding boots are, but I envisioned something like the Sidi Adventures or Crossfires! I usually wear my Redbacks ("Austrailian" slip on boot, like a Blundstone's) on flights. They are easy to get on an off, very comfy, no laces or metal/plastic tabs to break off and are a nice camp boot too. If you don't know, don't be surprised that your feet and legs might swell a bit on the flight - it's normal. Enjoy!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy'east View Post
Quick suggestion on the shoes. Don't know what your riding boots are, but I envisioned something like the Sidi Adventures or Crossfires! I usually wear my Redbacks ("Austrailian" slip on boot, like a Blundstone's) on flights. They are easy to get on an off, very comfy, no laces or metal/plastic tabs to break off and are a nice camp boot too. If you don't know, don't be surprised that your feet and legs might swell a bit on the flight - it's normal. Enjoy!
Sidi Canyons well worn in and comfy. Might be a pain in security but probibly no worse than laced shoes. I usually wear slip on while flying.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,680
Sitting in Asheville airport waiting to board.

It was a small plane so I carried on the essentials that I "had" to have. Helmet, boots, gps, spot, camera, water bottle . I checked the rest of my gear thinking I could always buy a jacket and pants if luggage was lost.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Sitting in Asheville airport waiting to board.

It was a small plane so I carried on the essentials that I "had" to have. Helmet, boots, gps, spot, camera, water bottle . I checked the rest of my gear thinking I could always buy a jacket and pants if luggage was lost.

Love the boots with shorts look. Pick up any chicks in the airport? In all seriousness have a great time where ever you're going.