your bike is becoming a sexbomb. Very nice work
Ha ha.... Thanks.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #32
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Looks great, I want to do try this over the weekend. Not quite sure how I will set it up yet but something similar in fabrication though. The fork hardware is a pain in the butt! I believe I will be taking the current fork clamps and bending/drilling a new hole so I can slide them up the tube to get away from the issue during full suspension travel. Will see and I will let you know. Will try my Frankenstein job today and see it that fixes the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Ended up with 3 layers of 6 oz 2x2 twill, with 3 extra strips about 1.5 inches wide to strengthen the mounts. The fork hardware had to be remade, as it did not work as I thought.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #33
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Looks great, I want to do try this over the weekend. Not quite sure how I will set it up yet but something similar in fabrication though. The fork hardware is a pain in the butt! I believe I will be taking the current fork clamps and bending/drilling a new hole so I can slide them up the tube to get away from the issue during full suspension travel. Will see and I will let you know. Will try my Frankenstein job today and see it that fixes the issue.
The nice thing about the composites..... Just sand/cut the sliders into the shape you like. The clamp's in question that torqued, were mounted in the fork groove that the stock clamp was on....yes??? I am moving onto the cable sliders today.......and hear you loud and clear on the flex issue...

Erling
Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #34
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Yeah I used the stock fork clamps, I figured they were there so I might as well use them. I was hoping that they wouldn't have an issue but that wasn't the case. I used a small piece of sheet metal and created an offset. This worked just fine during a dozen wheelies and jumping a creek bed. I just pulled the fork clamps off and bent the portion straight, re-wrapped it up higher on the fork, bent a 90 and tapped it while cutting off the excess and that worked fine. Here is a picture of my test fab. As lone as the bracket/guide is at this relative height it should be fine and not interfere with the caliper mount etc..

Photobucket
Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #35
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Right side done..... with a Stainless ring, and some....uhmmmmmm... Carbonation......

This is not final, as I am not real keen on the Brake line dance under stroke.....

Erling
Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #36
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

What about making the ring CF bracket a smidge shorter? What size cables did you run? Mine had a lot of slap but when I put the KTM fender on that reduced it dramatically as it keeps them somewhat in place. I like the bracket a lot though! Might make something similar
Old 10-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #37
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What about making the ring CF bracket a smidge shorter? What size cables did you run? Mine had a lot of slap but when I put the KTM fender on that reduced it dramatically as it keeps them somewhat in place. I like the bracket a lot though! Might make something similar

..... There is a secret to the carbon madness......... It is easier to make big fire, and stand way back.... than the opposite....... That applied.... that sausage looking long thing will get cut down as I progress. You start with an oversize, and then grind to size......

Erling
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #38
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Left side finished.......

Then tomorrow, it is on to the top part of the lines...... as of where to anchor them.....

Erling
Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #39
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Erling, on your left brake/speedo line you may want to move that clip (keeping the two lines together) up a little more, when the suspension has no weight (jump, wheelie, gnarly terrain) they may catch on your nice CF guide.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #40
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Erling, on your left brake/speedo line you may want to move that clip (keeping the two lines together) up a little more, when the suspension has no weight (jump, wheelie, gnarly terrain) they may catch on your nice CF guide.
Yeppers........ I have not yet even rolled it over a yard...... It looks like 10 inches to the old fender mount, so it will need to move down another about 1/2 inch. Tomorrow is clearance day...... Hammer is out......

Erling
Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #41
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Maybe you should fixate the brake line here to protect the "whatever-its-called-the-thing-that-connects-the-line-to-the-caliper" from the flex?

lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #42
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

I believe he will be doing that shortly, he is still in the R&D phase of the bike.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #43
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Both my Swedish fellow viking, and US counterpart are correct...... One of the last steps to do.....

Erling
Old 10-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #44
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Final setup....... Shortened the slider, and made a lower bracket, then went on to the hardware store, and got some spiral wrap for the lower slider section. It has less friction than the hoses, and stiffens the setup as well, plus it minimizes the snagging possibility as well......

I am getting fantastic at bleeding the brakes on this panzer, as I routed the left line inside the fork tube ....as I did with the right one, Now they both coils inside the plastic and behind the fork tube. Beautiful. Have been hopping curves for the last half hr, just to make sure, as I go on another ride/hog hunt tomorrow. 300 miles of pristine dirt, and mountains, ahhhhhhhhhhh.... Life is good.

Erling
Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #45
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Looks good! I will have my fork guards complete later this week. I just have to sand the last one down but am pretty busy so it may be delayed. It is not like I will have a chance to ride for the next week so it isn't too pressing. Will that tape unwrap after a while due to adhesive degradation? The spiegler lines I got have an extra thick coat to help with wear/tear but that may be something I look into.