User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
kiwiAdventure OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
2012 800gs test ride

I've just arrived home from an all day ride on a demo 2012 800gs. I enjoyed the bike on gravel but did not enjoy the buzzing / tingling to my hands and body took once I got on the freeway. An hour after getting home my body still has a buzzing / tingling feeling. Wind buffeting was another problem as I lke to ride without a visor. This can be solved with another screen proberly but the buzzing / tingling to me is something I could not put up with. I've had a few 1200 gs and could easily ride the 1200 any where an 800 can go but like the small size of the 800g. I may look at the new 650gs or wait to have a ride of the 2013 1200gs.

Interested to here from other on their experience with the 800gs

kiwiAdventure screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 05:05 PM
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
I thought my 800 was a bit buzzy at first. As the motor got broken in it went away. Also using good quality gas makes a difference. See if you can borrow a friends bike with a couple of thousand miles on it before you buy a 1200. I have own bikes and think the 800 is the better motorcycle. Dave
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
There seems to be something screwy going on with a small percentage of the bikes, in terms of the buzzing.

If the dealer has another demo bike in stock,
I would recommend you try riding that one and see if you still get "buzzed"

Several folks have put lead shot in the handlebars, several folks have reported the problem was resolved by having the dealer loosen all of the motor-mount bolts and then re-torquing them.

Just my $0.02
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Been lurking for a few weeks after buying my F800 and thought this would be the perfect thread to register and chime in.....

My 2012 F8 had 8 miles on it from dealership when I got it. As For vibration, practically non existent. Maybe some slight vibration in the foot pegs at freeway speeds... I'm gonna just chalk this up to it being an liquid cooled bike and it's no where near as bad as my friends Yamaha.

I've mainly ridden air cooled bikes(Ducati and an 1150GS) before buying f800 too get into dirt riding. My only real complaint, which I will factor to coming from bikes with totally different engines is how sensitive the throttle is. I'm sure I will get used to it and learn to love it, but that's my only gripe now. Oh, and that damn tiny windscreen makes commutes to work a treat.

But all in all, I love it, and have a smile whenever I look at it, which really pisses off the old lady.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
h2only
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I also have never experienced this "buzzing" with my F800gs.
h2only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,898
first question: How fast did you go on "highway speed"?

Normally the vibrations don't exist before 120kmh. After that it sure does vibrate 'coming from a thumper it's not bothering me) a bit. Some improve forks and it's working fine for them. Others have to do some handlebar adjustments and it's good for them.

What I am saying is that you will do a lot of farkling around that bike to improve it weather you want it or not . I think at the end you'll spend nearly as much on the F800 than you'd spent on the R1200. If you want to keep that bike for several years and ride a lot with it I think it just might be worth the money. Otherwise just go with a 1200 :o)

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
kiwiAdventure OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
first question: How fast did you go on "highway speed"?

Normally the vibrations don't exist before 120kmh. After that it sure does vibrate 'coming from a thumper it's not bothering me) a bit. Some improve forks and it's working fine for them. Others have to do some handlebar adjustments and it's good for them.

What I am saying is that you will do a lot of farkling around that bike to improve it weather you want it or not . I think at the end you'll spend nearly as much on the F800 than you'd spent on the R1200. If you want to keep that bike for several years and ride a lot with it I think it just might be worth the money. Otherwise just go with a 1200 :o)
Just riding around 100kph mostly get the buzz on the motorway through the bars and foot rests. Reading more about the new 2013 1200gs I think this looks to be the bike. I have another year to save the extra money now.

I've given up on farkling bikes as I end up taking it off once I find BMW has done a good job with their bikes as standanrd and I don't need the added weight.

BMW have come up with some great ideas on the new 1200 like disconnecting the rear abs when you have the bike in pro enduro mode.

The other thing with the 800 is the weight of the front when you have the bike on the main stand. All the bikes I have owned has had a balance of almost 50% front and rear but the 800 has a lot of the weight at the front.
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure View Post
The other thing with the 800 is the weight of the front when you have the bike on the main stand. All the bikes I have owned has had a balance of almost 50% front and rear but the 800 has a lot of the weight at the front.
from what I read, the F800GS is lighter on the front than on the back. About 47% frt and 53% back. If you add panniers....

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote