Wicked Adventure tires comparo

Hey!

From your experience which would be the best all arround adventure tire among:

Michelin Anakee 2
Metzeler Tourance
Continental TrailAttack
Bridgestone BattleWing

I am wearing down my Japanese pair and wonder which ones you guys recomend

My rides are: commuting, highways and back roads in bad conditions....

Ride safe!
davidmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 435
Hola Dave,
For my KTM 990 2008...
OK not on your list but worth the consideration
I am happy with Mefo's Super Explorer 150 on back and Mefo Explorer on front. Good tires for all around riding. I feel the traction on high speed mountain turns to be very good and still can take rocky loose off road trails. Mud and deep sand are a challenge but with a 990 being about 500 pounds that is to be expected. I am putting on my second set as soon as the weather gets bad up here in Northern Nevada. Storms in the forecast so might be soon.

One thing that got me to stay with the Mefo's is that I can ride aggressively in the mountain paved roads and highways. I can burn and turn with any sport bike. I don't think I would feel as confident with knobbies and the Mefo's do just fine in the dirt. Rider 50/50 dirt/street. One more thing, I have about 7,500 miles on my current tires and could get more out of them if I had to. Well worth the price.
KJ

knobbyjoe screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 12:54 PM Reason: baad speler
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 207
Knobbyjoe,

Have you tried the Heidenau K60 Scout (in 150/18) also. To me it seems the Mefo SE looks to be a bit more off road based on aggressive knobbies on the edges of the tires, whereas the K60 Scouts seem to have larger/smoother tread at the edge and maybe a rounder profile? Actually I want the one with slightly better road manners at full lean.

My 908 at full lean does not feel very stable. The 908 also spins up too easily on wet roads under throttle. My last bike was a V-strom with a Tourance EXP front and regular Tourance rear and it handled on road better than my KTM 990 Adventure with 908 rear and TKC80 front. I am convinced the handling difference is 95% the tires. With the knobbies it is a bit slow to turn in and then at full lean at speed it lacks that planted feel. On the other hand the EXP front was truly dangerous in mud.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen rider View Post
knobbyjoe,

have you tried the heidenau k60 scout (in 150/18) also. To me it seems the mefo se looks to be a bit more off road based on aggressive knobbies on the edges of the tires, whereas the k60 scouts seem to have larger/smoother tread at the edge and maybe a rounder profile? Actually i want the one with slightly better road manners at full lean.

My 908 at full lean does not feel very stable. The 908 also spins up too easily on wet roads under throttle. My last bike was a v-strom with a tourance exp front and regular tourance rear and it handled on road better than my ktm 990 adventure with 908 rear and tkc80 front. I am convinced the handling difference is 95% the tires. With the knobbies it is a bit slow to turn in and then at full lean at speed it lacks that planted feel. On the other hand the exp front was truly dangerous in mud.
+1
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
davidmarquez OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hey Joe

thanks for the advice! they seem worth to try!

Some of the mountain roads we do have dirt or gravel from the side hills so they seem even better that the options I listed

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Hola Dave,
For my KTM 990 2008...
OK not on your list but worth the consideration
I am happy with Mefo's Super Explorer 150 on back and Mefo Explorer on front. Good tires for all around riding. I feel the traction on high speed mountain turns to be very good and still can take rocky loose off road trails. Mud and deep sand are a challenge but with a 990 being about 500 pounds that is to be expected. I am putting on my second set as soon as the weather gets bad up here in Northern Nevada. Storms in the forecast so might be soon.

One thing that got me to stay with the Mefo's is that I can ride aggressively in the mountain paved roads and highways. I can burn and turn with any sport bike. I don't think I would feel as confident with knobbies and the Mefo's do just fine in the dirt. Rider 50/50 dirt/street. One more thing, I have about 7,500 miles on my current tires and could get more out of them if I had to. Well worth the price.
KJ

2011 F650GS (sold)
2010 G650GS (sold)
davidmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,870
I always had Tourance on my GS. It was a long wearing tire that I thought was great all round. I recently swapped the stock Battlewings on my XC for Dunlop Trailmax 91. I have about 3,000 miles on them and love them so far! Hardly any wear. Great in wet weather. Turn in much faster than the battlewings. If they continue to wear well, I'll replace with the same.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 543
Anyone running the Conti Trail attacks? I am considering these for my GS. Currently running road attacks.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 354
+1 on the Mefo tires. The ones mentioned don't really look like 'adventure' tires IMO, more like street tires. OP you mentioned dirt roads in bad conditions.... The Mefo tires are great for all conditions, rain, tarmac, dirt, fire lanes, some mud.... Wear pretty good and I'm getting about 7-8k miles on a set on my KTM990. They were my first choice of tire to put on the bike to come to Central America. A choice I absolutely do not regret and will buy them again. I also tried the Kenda Big Block, great on the dirt etc.... But wear fast when doing a lot of tarmac riding...
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,493
+3 on the Mefos, I ran them front and rear on my 990. Excellent manners on good/bad/no roads, and long lasting. Best tire choice for big bike and aggressive rider on rocky roads I've found. Good in rain and mud, too.
Don't think i'd run them on a smaller bike though, the compund's pretty hard and I think they need weight on them to work best.
Currently running MT21's on my Dakar.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIN View Post
Anyone running the Conti Trail attacks? I am considering these for my GS. Currently running road attacks.
Running them on my fz1 hybrid. Fantastic grip on road, even in wet very confidence inspiring. I have another set ready to go on. They are 90/10 tires however. And the 10% is dirt road type stuff. Worthless in mud.

They last awhile I think I have 4000 hard road miles and they are still good.

I've heard good things about the mefo so I might try a set on my cbr as that bike is more off road worthy.

I do like the trail attacks but def a road tire

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIN View Post
I have a set I've used on my 950SE. I consider them a street tire. They worked great on Hwy 58 going to/from Laguna Seca. Of the dozen or so riders I rode with, none dropped me and only one hung with me. The tires could have probably given more than i was willing to ask of them. The only dirt I've ridden with those tires was in the dirt lots at Laguna Seca - not much of a test.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Knobbyjoe, Have you tried the Heidenau K60 Scout (in 150/18) also. To me it seems the Mefo SE looks to be a bit more off road based on aggressive knobbies on the edges of the tires, whereas the K60 Scouts seem to have larger/smoother tread at the edge and maybe a rounder profile? Actually I want the one with slightly better road manners at full lean.
My 908 at full lean does not feel very stable. The 908 also spins up too easily on wet roads under throttle. My last bike was a V-strom with a Tourance EXP front and regular Tourance rear and it handled on road better than my KTM 990 Adventure with 908 rear and TKC80 front. I am convinced the handling difference is 95% the tires. With the knobbies it is a bit slow to turn in and then at full lean at speed it lacks that planted feel. On the other hand the EXP front was truly dangerous in mud.
Kevin '08 KTM 990 Adventure, '07 KTM 300XC plated
Dang Kevin just was delivered Mefo's this week. I was thinking about trying the K60 Scouts but didn't hear about the edge tread making a better profile. I burn and turn with the Mefo's but as they have worn I have notice some square edge feel. Nothing serious though and expect the good wear and handling with this set...but next time!

kj

knobbyjoe screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 01:12 PM Reason: badd quoter
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen rider View Post
Knobbyjoe,

Have you tried the Heidenau K60 Scout (in 150/18) also. To me it seems the Mefo SE looks to be a bit more off road based on aggressive knobbies on the edges of the tires, whereas the K60 Scouts seem to have larger/smoother tread at the edge and maybe a rounder profile? Actually I want the one with slightly better road manners at full lean.

+ whatever.

k60 are just a nice mix. If you put a TK80 front you won't even have the weird wobbling. If you don't want a 50/50 tire and you'd like a more street oriented tire I'd go with the TR91 from Dunlop. Best tire (except knobby stuff) I've ever owned. The only tire that sticks better on wett than on dry.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I'm very pleased with the K60 scout on both the 1150GS and the F800GS on the road in high speed turns at big bank angles. I used to run and love Avon Distanzia for the sporty road performance, and don't feel like i have lost anything. The k60 tread pattern varies considerably by size - Both of these bikes use the 150/70-17 on the rear, while fronts are 90/90-21 on the 800, and 110/80-19 on the 1150. The front patterns are very similar in these sizes. So far this tire seems to be the ideal 50/50 tire.
396427454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #15
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
+1 on the K60's , great tire in all conditions and they last forever.