User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Licky OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
My first overnighter on the bike

So I went on my first overnighter with the KLR650. ERod and another friend made an Elk Camp near the Snow Bowl Ski Resort area of Flagstaff, AZ. The ride was not that long (90miles one way) and it was only for one night. This was exactly what I was looking for as a first trip. I wanted other guys with stuff in case I missed something important. I rode from my place on the SR169 at Old Cherry Rd and went up Interstate 17 to the 179. Never again. Holy crap... all the people drive super slow and there are about four traffic circles or roundabouts along the way just to get to Sedona. Once past Sedona riding Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff is worth the annoying traffic. I went home the same way exept I went to the 17 from Cottonwood instead of Sedona. Much better.

I packed up all the crap I figured I would need for a multi-day to week long trip just to see how well it would fit on the bike. I have the nearly useless OEM tank bag, small saddle bags, one duffle bag and a backpack. I took a photo in a parking lot on the way home when I stopped for gas since I am a clown and didn’t take any at the camp. Maybe Erod can help me out when he gets back. I am fairly certain he took some camp photos. I rode up wearing the backpack which sucked a little due to its weight. I strapped and 550 corded onto the bike for the return trip.

The camping was good, my bed was warm enough (my feet got cold), and the food was easy. When I get my bigger saddle bags on I will haul more water.

Inventory: 5 Mountain House MRE’s, 2 liters of water, cooking pot, mug, stove, backup solid fuel stove, fold up bucket, magnesium fire starter stick, fold up eating utensils, two cans of stove fuel, military E-Tool shovel, hand chain saw, 5 days of clothes, hammock tent with rain fly, pillow tarp, three knives, pistol with three extra magazines, sleeping bag with Gortex liner, extra jacket, two sunglasses, three pairs of gloves, binoculars, rain pants, tire repair kit, spare tube, inflator kit, Slime fix-a-flat, OEM tools plus tire levers, lighters, wet wipes for each end (labeled “Face” and “Ass”), normal boots, plus my basic riding gear/boots of course.

I have already started making adjustments on my pack to cram more shit into/onto it so that I can maybe just leave the duffle off.

Licky screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 06:46 PM
Licky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Krakatoa
Waiting...

Oddometer: 59
I am curious if you took any pics of your camping site.
Krakatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Thanks. It was a good start for. May you have many more trips
Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,419
The more you do this,. the less you'll find you need. Don't quit. The MRE's yur carrying don't have thier on water activated heater? I don't camp anymore but still carry a pack or two of MREs just incase.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,592
Ahh... That first step into the wonderful world of Moto camping.

My recommendation is to unpack and look at all the things you did not use. Ask yourself why you didn't use the item and if you really need... Not want... Need to bring it on the next trip. Each trip try to reduce your load by one or two items.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 13,021
Nice start to a life of motorcycle camping adventure. 30 years ago, I did my first one with a backpack too. As time goes by, you'll learn what to take and how to pack it. Your loads will get smaller, and it will make the ride more enjoyable.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote