Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,731
Hogsback Rd., Lassen Trail, Ponderosa Rd.

This will be a report about the above listed routes that I rode with LucasLeader last Saturday. It'll include some reflections from my childhood but the report won't be as good as I had hoped because basiclly I SUCK at this. I didn't take as many pics as I had wanted to. I guess I just got into the riding and was having too much fun, but the thing about that is.........I'm already thinking about doing it again. Slower pace and taking more pics.
I've been wanting to do this ride for a couple of reasons. 1) I haven't seen any ride reports on the Hogsback Rd., just a couple of mentions about being rocky. 2) I used to tag along with my father, brother and family friends hunting in this area in the late 60's. My father and his hunting partner have both passed away in the past 5 yrs. so this was a ride of reflection for myself and sharing with Lucas. So let's get started....
The turn off onto Hogsback Rd. We stopped here so I could get a pic of the sign for this report. Terrible pic, sorry, but my camera (phone) doesn't do zoom well. When I went to get back on the bike I caught my pants cuff on the footpeg and tipped over to the right. Felt like slow motion, WTF. Lucas helped me pick ol' blue up and I was just asking myself, "did that really just happen?". Seriously, I was totally in dis-belief of what just happened. One things for sure, I always aim to amuse.
Before I get too carried away, Lucas and I met at Country Waffles in Chico for breakfast before heading out, stopped in Los Molinas to top off fuel and got back under way. Now at this point we were on slab, Hwy 99, but it didn't matter, I was thrilled to be doing something on the bike other than commuting. I hadn't hit the dirt for a couple of weeks so I was ready. Getting onto Hogsback Rd. Looking towards Red Bluff.

It didn't take long to start gaining in altitude. Looking back down on the valley.

A sampling of Hogsback Rd. Again I apologize for the lack of pics, This road is rocky. Lava rock. I was having a blast, so much so that this is actually the only pic that I got of Hogsback. The entire length of Hogsback was rocky and once we got close to Plum Creek Rd. it smoothed out to graded gravel. Somewhere on Hogsback I lost my insulated overalls. I hesitated to go back after them and decided I couldn't afford to let them go, less than a year old, so I turned around and went after them figuring I would catch back up to Lucas. He finally realized I wasn't behind him and came back after me as I was restrapping my load. Sorry Lucas.

This shot is the road going down into the Tehema Wildlife Area. I don't remember this being up here when I was little. This may have actually been the area we hunted in but I'm not sure. There are signs posted that state it is restricted to special permit use only between Oct. 27th to Nov 4th. May be a special hunt zone, sign didn't say why. Wouldn't want to inform the public too much.

We continued on up the road.

At least there was a phone number posted that you could call for more info on the restrictions. At this location there was another sign board that had a map and showed numerous Jeep Trails. It had a legend on it and stated the use rules for the area. I see this as requiring some more exploring in the future. I thought I took a picture of the sign board but APPARENTLY NOT.

The sign board was off to the right of this shot.
Maybe Lucas can chime in and provide his perspective.
I'll pick up where I left off tommorrow night. Good night,
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Was a fun and refreshing ride. With the temperature dropping it feels really good to get out in the cool air and not feel like I'm breathing through a hairdryer. Hogsback was a neat road since you start in the wide open low rolling hills and climb up into the woods. We might have to check out those Jeep trails sometime. The 172 was awesome and even though it can be frustrating getting turned around on dirt roads from blockages, it's fun trying to make your way around through the trees. There are a ton of dirt roads in that area so there is plenty of exploring to do. The Lassen trail is always fun too since you get so much different terrain and awesome views. After a couple of weekends in a row of not doing much it was really nice to get out for a full day of riding.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

Ok, where were we.....

We continued on up the road and soon came to Plum Creek Road and followed that to Paynes Creek. Pavement, I was disappointed but still a fun curvy road. Sorry no pics. Got to Paynes Creek and picked up Hwy 36 and headed towards Chester. We pulled in to a vista point to check out what was there to see. Mostly a recently scourched canyon. Lucas and I just kind of hung out and talked for awhile and observed the others that were there. A couple of Harley riders and a KLR rider with them. A couple of pics of the scourched canyon.

So many fires this year....

Our trusty, reliable steeds.

Continuing on we picked up Hwy 172 just as you come into Mineral and took the fork to the right. Found the road I had marked to begin our trek back towards home. We were about half way at this point. We were thrilled to be back on the dirt and the beginning looked promising.

Following my route the road seemed to come to an end. It was supposed to curve around to the left but appeared to not be in use any longer. It was somewhat grown over and a lot of loose dirt and rocks. The obvious route went to the right opposite of what the map showed. We followed the obvious route, it dead ended, we came back and decided to bushwack and see if we could get accross what I had routed. It was only about 1/2 mile to pick up the next road but it was not to be. Make logs your favorite...

Those logs continued beyond what you see here. It was fun getting to this point but going around no longer worked as the terrain began to get steeper. After consulting the gps we found a go around and re-routed. Looking back toward what we came down, what you can't see in the pic is the log we had to go around. Up we went back tracking back up the hill.

We re-routed and followed the next road off of Hwy 172 and picked up our original route just outside of Hole in the Creek campround. Sorry no pic. I suck. Beautiful little campround right on (I believe) Mill Creek. The map showed the road crossing the creek but it was obvious that there hadn't been anybody cross the creek for quite some time. You could see what looked to be the remnants of the road on the other side but we obviously weren't going to get there.
More backtracking and at this point it was about 1:30pm so we defaulted to what we knew. We headed out Hwy 172 to Hwy 36...
a couple of view pics off of Hwy 36 before picking up Hwy 32,

We continued on Hwy 36 to Hwy 32 and made a right. After a couple of miles we made a right and started on the Lassen Trail toward Chico.

Ok, enough for tonight. Sorry for dragging this on but I'm trying to get through my voter info at the same time.
I'll try to finish this tommorrow night.
Good night.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Right on guys!
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

Ok, let's see if I can wrap up this "ride of reflection"...

I left off where we had just picked up the Lassen Trail. It's a smooth graded road and fast so if you ride it be careful of potential oncoming traffic. Not a lot of pics from this point on, I was getting tired and we were just riding. I knew we had some rough stuff coming up. Ponderosa Rd. is rough from the top of the hill at the sign boards on if you're heading toward Cohassett.
This marker says " the road today was mostly uphill and rocky, last night snow fell on the mountains, everybody is pushing forward as fast as possible fearing that winter has set in and they may be caught in the snow. God help the ...(I can't read the last word, sorry) S. Doyle October 10th 1849.

We came accross the 4 markers that I'll post pics of. There may be more but we didn't see them.

The next marker... Lassen Trail-The Last Summit, "We gained the summit of greatest elevation...here we found 8 dead oxen, 2 discarded wagons, peices of others and clothing scattered around." J Goldsborough Bruff Oct 21. 1849

The next marker... Lassen Trail-Mill Creek Overlook "The veiw below and before us truly grand, the lofty mountains, the stupendous rocks with the deep cut vale below (I beleive that was supposed to be valley) renders this one of the finest and most picturesque veiws I ever beheld." Henry Austin Oct 21. 1849

Lassen Trail- The Narrows "There is an immense abyss on each side, we could look down thousands of feet, the side of the ridge seeming almost perpendicular." Charles Glass Gray Sept. 29th 1849

At the narrows marker there is a memorial for Ishi, the last person known of the Yahi indian tribe.

Views looking off of both sides of the narrows.

The last marker that I know of, Lassen Trail-Unrecognizable Emigrants... "Could you see me I would not be recognized, dirty, filthy and ragged and fully equal in appearance to the natives excepting being in an entire state of nudity." WM Steuben Sept 20 1849

At this last trail marker there are 3 sign boards telling of the area, one telling of the Campbell Fire that happened a while back. I'm not sure of the date, I didn't read the board but it may be the one that took the cabin that was co-owned by my parents and their High school friends. More on that soon.

Another board telling of the Ishi Wilderness Area and showing the different trails that the pioneers and indians used.

The last sign board telling about the Lassen Trail.

It's actually an interesting ride if you're into pioneer history.
From here the road begins to get rough, as I've said, I like it rough and this is one of my favorite rides. Sorry no pics as I was trying to catch up to Lucas. He took the lead and never looked back. Like a horse heading to the barn.
Looking toward where we were heading leaving the area of the boards.

This shot is looking back at the road where we had just come down about 2/3rds of the way to Deer Creek from the sign boards (top of the hill) the road is that small cut in the mountain. You don't want to hit the turns to "hot" it's a long ways down and you won't stop until you hit the bottom.

Once we got to the bottom of the hill we took a left turn onto a side road just before we hit the bridge over Deer Creek. This took us down to a little camping area and a spot in the creek that I immediately recognized. Time for some reflection. My parents along with a couple that they went to High School with purchased a 20 acre peice of property up on Campbell Ridge back in the mid 60's. They built their own cabin, 4 bedroom. 2 upstairs 1 for the girls and 1 for the boys. There were a total of 5 kids. The 2 bedrooms downstairs were for the parents. This cabin was on the edge of a canyon with a great view of the valley looking towards Los Molinas. It was an awesome place to spend as a kid. We had our own shooting range, archery range. We made trips to Deer Creek where the pics below were taken. At the time there was no camp area. You had to hike in and wade across the creek to the swim area. It was very private. Us as kids learned to drive on this 20 acres in a 1942 CJ2a Jeep. We also spent a lot of time riding motorcycles and pretending we had our own indian tribe. Great memories. I have a montage of pics that I'll post as my parting shot at the end of this report.

The area we used to cross just above the white water.

The rock in the fore-ground is where we used to "sun-bathe" and jump into the water. The pool there is DEEP. We used to see 2-3 foot Steelhead in that pool but could never catch them. They obviously were content. I don't know if there are any fish still there, this area looks to get a lot of use now. In a way it's kind of sad that the access is so easy now. Not private anymore but on the other side, I'm glad people are enjoying the area.

Deep pool, I'm guessing about 15 to 20ft. I don't remember as a child ever hitting bottom there.

Looking upstream from the pool.

And I found some flowers for the ladies.

Some rock formations looking up fron the creek.

At the top of the hill at the heli-pad. At this point we are only 2 miles at most from where our cabin used to be. This cabin burned down in the spring of 1990 due to some PG&E power lines arching during a storm. At that point the property was sold to the son of my parents friends that were partners. He lived there off grid for a few years before health issues forced him off of the hill. He and my sister are now married but currently seperated.
The cabin I speak of, the view from the cabin and looking back at the cabin from one side of the canyon. The burned area is where the cabin used to be. Not good pics but the best I could do. Pictures were taken back in the 70's

That concludes this RR. I have to tell you, I was tired and the next day sore. I had me some of this...

...and some of this,

...and poured my tired ass into bed.
Thanks for coming along. Had a great time as usual Lucas and I look forward to more rides together. Thank you for indulging me.
Ride on.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Great RR! I thoroughly enjoy a good story with my pictures, especially when its that real.
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Awesome Redog1. You captured quite a few Lassen markers on this trip. As you know, I love the Pioneer history. I have never seen that leg of the trail. Bummer about the cabin burning down. The old photos were cool. It is such a beautiful area with a great swimming hole. Hours of fun!
Enjoyed the report! Looking forward to the next one.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,419
Thanks Redog1. Enjoyed it!

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Thanks for putting this together Brien. It's cool to see those pictures of your old cabin too.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Got to do that one again
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
Davethestick
Registered Rider

Oddometer: 72
Davethestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,681
Friggin spectacular area!!! Thanks for doing a report. You don't suck at this....

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

Laugh Thanks everyone...

Jax, the bars been raised pretty high on RR's. I'll keep trying.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
redog1 OP
KLR650-2009

Thanks iDave...

It would be an honor and a priveldge to host you (and Mrs iDave if she's coming). There's a room here for you if you need it. Just let me know when you'll be arriving. I even have a spare KLR if you want to hit some trails.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,676
Great report, redog1!
Those lava rocks sound intriguing...

Thanks for sharing your memories with us. It must have been fun driving that jeep around!
And, what a cool swimming hole!
I thought you did a really good job with the pics - it's not easy to get into the habit of taking photos when you're enjoying the ride...

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote