Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #46
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperh View Post
I run 42psi as I always have load on them and thats manufacturer recommended. I feel more bumps in the road due to the hardness of the tires than with my old tires. I am still running 42psi as I usually have load on the bike but I'm thinking of running lower psi because of the tire hardness.

YMMV
I started with the K60's at the upper end of the inflation range and found them to be squirmmy, harsh and unsettled. Try dropping the air down into the upper 20's and see if it doesn't change the way they feel--it sure did for me. They are stiff enough to take it, loaded or not.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #47
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core10metal View Post
Just an update after about 4500 on the k60's. it's winter and very cold here in north jersey but that hasn't stopped me from riding. Here are a few observations:
Almost no grip in snow but probably better than street tires.
Does well in wet, sand and salted roads but I'm also not pushing it at all. Lowest temp so far has been 14 and riding felt fine.
Losing 6 psi per week on front tire. No loss on rear at all.

Before the treads get too low, I wanted to try and stud them out see how it feels.
I had a K76 Heidenau rear that sucked on pavement. At about 600 miles on the tire, the rear slid out on me and I went down. I fully blame it on the tire. It was rock hard on the sidewalls, giving a very stiff ride. It howled pretty loudly at speed. I got about 7000 miles on it to the wear indicators. Never again. I really like the Continental trail attack for the street...but I dont do much dirt.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #48
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,189
Almost got to play lawn dart out in the desert in a sweeping left hander in the rain. Then almost got flicked off in a high side over a wet cattle guard a few mile later. Then had the front was out on a small rut offroad and did play lawn dart for that one.

I'll never use them again unless I'm in the middle of Uganda surrounded by snakes and jackals, and that's all the dealer has.

Ever.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #49
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Almost got to play lawn dart out in the desert in a sweeping left hander in the rain. Then almost got flicked off in a high side over a wet cattle guard a few mile later. Then had the front was out on a small rut offroad and did play lawn dart for that one.

I'll never use them again unless I'm in the middle of Uganda surrounded by snakes and jackals, and that's all the dealer has.

Ever.
I am getting the feeling you don't care for these tires. Can you be more direct? lol

slowoldguy screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 02:32 PM
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #50
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
Time hasn't softened the utter disdain I have for these tires. The rear tire sits in my garage as a "just-in-case" tire, but honestly I'd hate to have to re-mount it.

There ain't many things that car ruin a ride for me (not rain, not snow, not deer, not heat), but the K60 sure did.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #51
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Yeah. Y'all know my feelings about the lousy bastidges.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #52
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,546
I've had my K60 rear on for 5k miles and my front for about 2k miles. I don't like them at all either. I had TKC's on prior to this, but took the rear off at 8k miles and the front off at 10k miles.i could have easily gotten another thousand miles out of them. I switched to the Heidenaus because my front tkc started cupping after about 9k miles. The front K60 is very loud compared to the tkc and I hate the flat middle tread on the rear tire. It's dangerous on wet pavement when crossing painted lines and tar snakes and it does not have the offroad capability that the tkc does. My tires do have plenty of life in them, but the lifespan is not worth the lack of performance and safety to me.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #53
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,884
I'm giving the rear K-60 a try on my sidecar rig. Not really worried about traction in rain and over tar snakes with three wheels, but dirt road traction and long life would be a plus for a rig that can't lean.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #54
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Time hasn't softened the utter disdain I have for these tires. The rear tire sits in my garage as a "just-in-case" tire, but honestly I'd hate to have to re-mount it.

There ain't many things that car ruin a ride for me (not rain, not snow, not deer, not heat), but the K60 sure did.
Amen to that. After 2k I yanked them. No way I'd sell them to somebody, just keep them around in case somebody is really stuck for a tire until they can get to a proper hoop.

Went to the Mitas E07. Complete opposite, totally awesome tire. Been through two sets of them now. What the K60 was supposed to be, but never was.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #55
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,563
Oh great! NOW ya tell me!
UPS will ber dropping my set off in the morning
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #56
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Hey. Some love them , some hate them. But everybody has an opinion on these tires. ;)
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #57
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
I am getting the feeling you don't care for these tires. Can you be more direct? lol
Subtlety is an art form I've decided not to master......

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #58
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Oh great! NOW ya tell me!
UPS will ber dropping my set off in the morning
Well I'll turn it around for ya.

I like the tyres, and I'd certainly use them again. An excellent mix between decent grip in rough stuff while still being somewhat Ok on road. Everything is a tradeoff, but a more off road biased tyre would be worse on the road, and vice versa. K60 is middle of the road.

I don't like the stupid air loss, it does drive me nuts, and they are definitely not happy on sealed roads in the rain. In contrast, where other tyres would aquaplane, the K60 doesn't. Just don't ask too much in corners.

Good all round tyre (as in, EVERYTHING), excellent mileage as well.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #59
Core10metal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Oh tar snakes, yes I should've mentioned tar snakes. Avoid them at all costs. I brace myself when I go over them with k60's. I could be going straight with no acceleration, and I still slip if I hit a snake. I don't understand why they can't just add sand in the tar mixture.
Core10metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #60
rvt
sticky side down

Oddometer: 730
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aGremlin View Post
Well I'll turn it around for ya.

I like the tyres, and I'd certainly use them again. An excellent mix between decent grip in rough stuff while still being somewhat Ok on road. Everything is a tradeoff, but a more off road biased tyre would be worse on the road, and vice versa. K60 is middle of the road.

I don't like the stupid air loss, it does drive me nuts, and they are definitely not happy on sealed roads in the rain. In contrast, where other tyres would aquaplane, the K60 doesn't. Just don't ask too much in corners.

Good all round tyre (as in, EVERYTHING), excellent mileage as well.
Mine have performed well, within the limits of a do-anything tyre.
The front needs the odd top-up, every few weeks, nothing too serious. I fitted them, so probably my fault.
I would like a bit more bite out front in the dirt, so might go a TKC or similar. But for two up touring with the odd dirt road and track, the k60 does the deed for me.

This week's ride: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Vcz6Icqrhsbbpq
rvt is online now   Reply With Quote