Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
oldhippie1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
New BMW Scooters

https://webmail.east.cox.net/do/mail...INBOXDELIM7400

Just received this email from Gina's in Iowa City. Thought it would be of interest to scoot fans. Gina's is one of the premier BMW dealers in the US>

oldhippie1 screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 10:06 AM Reason: spelled word incorrectly
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
The link doesn't work. It wants me to sign into Cox email.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Moto Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
They are in the US now, there's about two dozen in Baltimore at the BMW dealer meeting. They should hit the showroom floor by mid-November.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
mindfulness
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 759
Saw three of em yesterday at the dealer - 2 lux ones and a sport. They look pretty substantial... Like a mini K1600GTL
2008 Triumph Scrambler carbs, tkc80's, made in England!
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,404
I just don't understand the appeal of a scooter as big as a large motorcycle. I got into scooters to go smaller, and to avoid shifting (medical issues) I would like a freeway capable scooter that is still physically small. I don't understand why a 600cc scooter has to be so much bigger and heavier than a 600cc motorcycle. Maybe something along the lines of an automatic Pacific Coast is what I need.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Maybe something along the lines of an automatic Pacific Coast is what I need.
Honda Pacific Coast 57HP, 631lbs with oil and gas, Wheelbase 60.1 in, top speed 107 mph
BMW C650GT, 59HP, 575lbs with oil and gas, wheelbase 61.2, top speed 115 mph.

Source. www.bikez.com

This supports the argument that a modern, freeway-capable scooter is not necessarily heavier than your chosen comparable motorcycle with a similar luggage and passenger carrying capacity and weather protection.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 147
I worried about the weight of the Silver Wing too (550 lbs. or so). I got rid of a KLR that was 441 pounds because it was too hard to ride. BUT the weight in the Wing is down low and once underway is not noticeable. It handles well even in the twisites and the weight helps when riding on the freeway or in wind... My main problem with the KLR was it was SO high I had to mount it like a horse (most people do) and off-road the weight became a serious factor. The Wing is NOT a dual-sport so that problem does not present! Don't misunderstand the KLR is a fine motorcycle but was not a good fit for the riding I do...
1974 CT90's (2)

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I've had a couple of KLRs, their main problem was seat height. But that was back when I was in better condition. An automatic PC would be easy for me to ride, due to it's lower seat height and narrowness. The biggest issue I have found with maxi scooters is how wide they are, due to the floorboards. The Silverwing is a decent fit, because it has cutouts in the floorboards for your legs.

Yes, the PC is about as big and heavy as a maxi scooter, but in an entirely different way. Though the seat is higher, it is not too high. The main thing is how narrow it is by the pegs. Width causes a problem for me. When I first got my Goldwing 1500, also when I was in better condition, it came with floorboards and a heel and toe shifter. It was almost unrideable, because of the floorboards. They stuck out so far they prevented me from being able to reach the ground with my feet. I almosy dropped it a couple of times on the way home from buying it. After removing the floorboards and going back to the stock pegs, it was 1000% better. It is still a large heavy bike, but at least I can get my feet firmly on the ground now.

What about a bike like the Suzuki S40? It is a VERY small bike, not much bigger than a Honda Rebel, yet has 650cc. Their should be a way to put that engine, or the engine from a 650cc or 400cc dual sport into a small scooter. The Suzuki DRZ400 engine seems ideal. You could design a 400cc scooter no bigger than the Honda Reflex 250. Or at least it seems like you could.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentall View Post
Honda Pacific Coast 57HP, 631lbs with oil and gas, Wheelbase 60.1 in, top speed 107 mph
BMW C650GT, 59HP, 575lbs with oil and gas, wheelbase 61.2, top speed 115 mph.

Source. www.bikez.com

This supports the argument that a modern, freeway-capable scooter is not necessarily heavier than your chosen comparable motorcycle with a similar luggage and passenger carrying capacity and weather protection.
I just took delivery of mine. It runs stronger than my R80RT and about equal to my R100RS, except that it has ABS brakes,,, and heated seats,,, and heated grips,,, and a power adjustable windshield... basically all the amenities of my R1100RT. That's what it most reminds me of, a mid-sized version of the R1100RT.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
I just took delivery of mine. It runs stronger than my R80RT and about equal to my R100RS, except that it has ABS brakes,,, and heated seats,,, and heated grips,,, and a power adjustable windshield... basically all the amenities of my R1100RT. That's what it most reminds me of, a mid-sized version of the R1100RT.

Congratulations on the new scooter. I like it, and will be going that route within a year or two.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Ah. Finally an actual picture of one. Looks good. Doesn't look as long as the Japanese maxis, but that may be due to the angle of the picture. The floorboards look much narrower too, and the set looks higher. In fact, it looks a lot more like a motorcycle than a scooter.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #12
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
That is exactly what I said to my salesperson when sitting on one at the dealer yesterday, it definitely took some cues from it. . As for the scooter itself, it's pure BMW from a design and fit/finish standpoint. Dual disc, abs brakes up front, nice sized wheels (bmw car-like in form), a huge headlight, heated seats, and an electric adjustable windscreen...wow! The seat when lifted is supported by a nice hydraulic and which uncovers a massive storage area (I hope they will offer a top box though). It's very comfortable but it's also a bit tall and heavy (it dwarfed my Vespa when next to it), I suppose those are the give-ups if you want such a bike. I personally don't view it as a scooter but rather a smaller motorcycle that offers a step-thru. It should make for a great commuter, and a long distance one at that.

Enjoy!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
Ngorongoro
boon

Oddometer: 185
Quote:

Congratulations - that looks like an awesome machine. It makes the Yamaha Majesty parked next to you look tiny.

"Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake in the day to find that it was vanity.

But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T. E. Lawrence
Ngorongoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Let's hope it runs stronger than a R80. Otherwise it would be a very expensive pig.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
JerryH
Vintage Rider

It's definitely nice. I like the layout much better than the Japanese maxis. I take it that is the GT model, which looks a lot better than the sport. All the information I could find said the price would be around $10,000, which is surprisingly low for a BMW anything, comparable to their smaller single cylinder adventure bikes. I have to admit I'm more impressed than I thought I would be. I was expecting a Silverwing with a BMW emblem. And if the price is around $10K, it is very little more expensive than the Silverwing.