Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
mreimler OP
Adventure Crasher

Oddometer: 339
Is there a definitive solution to the jerky throttle????

Just bought a new to me '07 990 Adventure and the jerky throttle is BAD! I've read all the info. G2 throttle cam (300-400). Flash new map into ECU. Clutch switch jumper. Remove the butter flys in the throttle bodies. Etc. etc.

My question is this: Is there a definitive solution to the jerky throttle problem?

I've explained the issue to some buddies this way. It seems like the "space" between the throttle opening "steps" is way too large during the inital twisting of the throttle tube but then smooths out the rest of the turn. Sort of like:
0, 1/8, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32,....

When it should be precise and and well graduated. Something like this:
0, 1/32, 1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16,....

So guys, is the fix just trying a little of this and a little of that? Or is there a real way to fix the problem?
mreimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 665
I installed a G2 with a 400 cam on my '11 last night and took her out for a spin in the canyons this evening. I can definitely report that it is not the solution. Yes it does help some, but I'm not entirely sure I like it. That said, it was only 50 miles of mostly twisties, so it wasn't a comprehensive test.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Junglerot
Hodor!

Oddometer: 3,423
From what Ive read, a custom dyno tune is the best bet. You can do the tune ecu maps, and maybe one will work, but a custom map is tailored to your bike and should give the best possible performance. At least thats what I plan on doing with my 07 990.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,318
On mine I noticed the worst part is the off throttle. Mine is tolerable though for sure.

If you run akro's unplugged I noticed its more jerky. With inserts its less jerky.

I'll probably play with my map this summer and post my findings on the the tuneecu thread.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
dabracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreimler View Post
My question is this: Is there a definitive solution to the jerky throttle problem?
Yes......Buy a 950.
dabracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
motorzen
Internet Antagonist

Oddometer: 114
Make sure your chain is adjusted properly.

Seriously.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,785
I've had 'some' luck by giving the bike a really good tune-up. Everything must be spot on. A few bikes were cured, all were improved. Here's my recipe, in order>

Get at least 8000 miles on it or these changes won't stick as it wears in.

Adjust the valves to the loose end of the range. Specs are IN-0.004-6, Ex-0.010-12, so try to get them at 0.006 and 0.012" Hone the shims if needed.

New plugs, clean air filter.

Check the base voltages on the three MAP sensors. Make sure the two throttle sensors match, swap one with the air box sensor if needed, that one doesn't matter as much. Buy a new one if needed. They should match within 0.010v or less.

TPS sensor with in range, I forget the values now. Check for clean, smooth voltages as you move the throttle, with no electronic noise. Check that the voltages are very repeatable.

Check that the clutch switch and side stand switch work well. OR, disable them.

Clean the restrictor jets on the intakes where the map sensor hoses connect. These can be responsible for erratic running that is impossible to trace. The hoses must be in perfect condition and match exactly.

Install the G2 throttle cam and adjust the throttle cables, TuneECI has an app that works well.

Sync the throttle bodies using an electronic vacuum gauge, you can't rely on the MAP sensor values for this.

Battery charged up, headlight fuse pulled.

Flash the latest EFI for the bike and do the 15min initialization or adaptation from stone cold. Shut off and let it cool down.

When you start the bike, do not touch the throttle. After you turn it on, wait 15 seconds. Crank it without touching the throttle. Let it idle for about a minute when cold. About the time it takes to put on your gloves and helmet.

Then ride it easy until warm. Use smooth throttle to keep running lean. Don't let it sit and idle until warm, it takes too long and will build up carbon. After it's fully warm, crank it up.

Edit> If it dies or acts up during a ride, shut the ignition off and start it up again using the no-throttle routine.

This tune up will last until the valves change or a sensor goes bad.

Re-initialize it every time you change something, like valve adjustment or air filter.

Edit> Also, every 07 and 08 needs the original fuel filter changed out for the improved one. The original will clog up and the main filter will fall apart.

Zuber screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 11:26 PM
Zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,756
Thanks a lot Zuber.

Great info, thanks.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #9
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
I also have an 07 990. My second one. The first was much worse than the one I now have.

The best solution is Zuber's advice plus a dyno and custome tune.

Besides that, there is no one magic bullet. Not one single thing will fix it.

But do all that Zuber mentions and each will help a little till, to me, it plenty alright.

Also (more money), but to me, a rekluse also helps a lot.

Good luck! Don't get discourged and give up, it'll be worth it.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #10
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,847
short answer is no,
i had a brand new 2010 bike,put wings mufflers on it, and had the remap,did everything to the 990 on what all the threads, on every forum i could find,had 3 ktm dealers have a go but still jerking,

you dont feel it off road, but on road it was a pain in the A@# so within its first year i sold it,i just could not live with it

i dont know about 2011 or even the 2012 bikes,but i would buy another 990 if they could just get this right

apart from this it was one of the best bikes ive had

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.

mickd screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 02:03 AM
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #11
mreimler OP
Adventure Crasher

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabracing View Post
Yes......Buy a 950.
GREAT answer!
mreimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #12
sabink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
TuneECU and a good tuner plus G2 400 cam.

I can drink coffee with my left hand and control the bike with my right hand from almost engine stall to high up. But the tuner must be able to tune the MAP tables.
sabink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabracing View Post
Yes......Buy a 950.
BAH, I road a 950 se and I have been bouncing back and forth on the idea. It was fking dam smooth.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinns View Post
BAH, I road a 950 se and I have been bouncing back and forth on the idea. It was fking dam smooth.
Like a swiss watch... anyone in Western Wa want to stop buy and try something out??
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #15
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
I've had 'some' luck by giving the bike a really good tune-up. Everything must be spot on. A few bikes were cured, all were improved. Here's my recipe, in order>

Get at least 8000 miles on it or these changes won't stick as it wears in.

Adjust the valves to the loose end of the range. Specs are IN-0.004-6, Ex-0.010-12, so try to get them at 0.006 and 0.012" Hone the shims if needed.

New plugs, clean air filter.

Check the base voltages on the three MAP sensors. Make sure the two throttle sensors match, swap one with the air box sensor if needed, that one doesn't matter as much. Buy a new one if needed. They should match within 0.010v or less.

TPS sensor with in range, I forget the values now. Check for clean, smooth voltages as you move the throttle, with no electronic noise. Check that the voltages are very repeatable.

Check that the clutch switch and side stand switch work well. OR, disable them.

Clean the restrictor jets on the intakes where the map sensor hoses connect. These can be responsible for erratic running that is impossible to trace. The hoses must be in perfect condition and match exactly.

Install the G2 throttle cam and adjust the throttle cables, TuneECI has an app that works well.

Sync the throttle bodies using an electronic vacuum gauge, you can't rely on the MAP sensor values for this.

Battery charged up, headlight fuse pulled.

Flash the latest EFI for the bike and do the 15min initialization or adaptation from stone cold. Shut off and let it cool down.

When you start the bike, do not touch the throttle. After you turn it on, wait 15 seconds. Crank it without touching the throttle. Let it idle for about a minute when cold. About the time it takes to put on your gloves and helmet.

Then ride it easy until warm. Use smooth throttle to keep running lean. Don't let it sit and idle until warm, it takes too long and will build up carbon. After it's fully warm, crank it up.

Edit> If it dies or acts up during a ride, shut the ignition off and start it up again using the no-throttle routine.

This tune up will last until the valves change or a sensor goes bad.

Re-initialize it every time you change something, like valve adjustment or air filter.

Edit> Also, every 07 and 08 needs the original fuel filter changed out for the improved one. The original will clog up and the main filter will fall apart.
Jesus Mary and Joseph what we gotta go through to make these things work right...

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote