User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
squizzy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Airhead advice

Hi Guys, after some advice. Had a 1150 gs for a few years, great bike, but I found it a little bit too tall. Currently riding a F658 which is nice. Have a R80 also in the shed. I am looking now at a 1995 R100GSPD classic to add to the collection. Have not ridden it yet. Are they as big and tall as the 1150GS or a bit more manageable for a short arse like me 5'6". The PD would be used for pillion duties, rallies and general mucking around. I intend to keep the 658 for the moment. Any information greatly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
Detroit Steve
Homely Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Thumb

The R100GS is as tall as the R1150GS depending on which seats you are using on each bike. The R100 being lighter is more manageable. I have not been on a 658, but I bet they are nice. I am guessing you miss riding an Airhead. Remember the airhead will require more maintenance, which for the most part not all that challenging, but does add to the experience.

Detroit Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 598
You can lower the seat height on the PD by fitting a rear shock from an R100R, they are very similar bikes and it is a direct fit lowering the seat by about an inch, I have done this to my R80GS and found it helps manoeverability.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
Arkwright
Grumpy ole Git

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Manley View Post
You can lower the seat height on the PD by fitting a rear shock from an R100R, they are very similar bikes and it is a direct fit lowering the seat by about an inch, I have done this to my R80GS and found it helps manoeverability.
The only downside to this is it upsets the geometry and the handling a bit as well as making the stand lower to the ground so that it can catch when you tip it over. I tried one on mine last week when trying to eliminate a knock from the back....................not good I'm afraid!
R80 G/S (81)
R100 GSPD (92)
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkwright2007 View Post
The only downside to this is it upsets the geometry and the handling a bit as well as making the stand lower to the ground so that it can catch when you tip it over. I tried one on mine last week when trying to eliminate a knock from the back....................not good I'm afraid!
I did this to mine over 10 years and 100,000 miles ago, apart from the centre stand which can be shortened with a little work the bike suits me and my 30 inch inside leg a lot better than it did with the standard shock. As for the change in geometry it made very little difference to the handling and I got used to it very quickly. I have done the same to a friend's GS and she also found the improvement in manageability worth the sacrifice in suspension travel, again over 10 years and 100,000 miles ago as well.
The modification might not have suited you but it could help Squizzy make his bike more rideable as it has mine.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth

Mark Manley screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 10:20 AM Reason: more info
Mark Manley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Manley View Post
I did this to mine over 10 years and 100,000 miles ago, apart from the centre stand which can be shortened with a little work the bike suits me and my 30 inch inside leg a lot better than it did with the standard shock. As for the change in geometry it made very little difference to the handling and I got used to it very quickly. I have done the same to a friend's GS and she also found the improvement in manageability worth the sacrifice in suspension travel, again over 10 years and 100,000 miles ago as well.
The modification might not have suited you but it could help Squizzy make his bike more rideable as it has mine.
got 30in inseams too ... almost did this mod before figuring out width of seat has just as much effect as height.

did this mod with a Mayer Day Long solo seat from an R65. seat pan was radically modded to fit R80G/S.

now I can almost flat foot both sides with riding boots. not counting improvement in riding comfort from additional support of a Mayer seat.

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 07:08 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Navy CWO
Salty

Oddometer: 171
I talked to the folks at Corbin and they made a really nice, lowered seat for me. I ride a 1991 R100GS and have 30" inseam.

Bike fits me much better now!
Navy CWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
squizzy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Went and had a ride of the GS yesterday. Was a little bit tall, but with some mods as you guys have suggested I think it would have worked. Alas, the bike itself left me a little bit cold. Will keep the 658 and the R80 for the moment. Will keep an eye out in the future though. Thanks for the info.