Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
orangebear OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
r100gs problem

hi all

my 1993 r100gs N light randomly stops working which mean i cant start the bike. i think it must have a saftey switch fitted . is there a way round this or do i have to bump / roll start the bike to get it going?

thanks for the help.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Beater
Is it broke yet?

Oddometer: 3,070
Squeeze the clutch? (this will over-ride the need to have it in Neutral)
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
orangebear OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Squeeze the clutch? (this will over-ride the need to have it in Neutral)
the bike wont start in gear with the clutch held in plus there wires that were plug in to the clutch were cut off years ago.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Beater
Is it broke yet?

Oddometer: 3,070
1. Reconnect the wires.
2. Get a new Neutral Switch (I would avoid this).

There are a lot of stories out there about the replacement neutral switch leaking ... even after repeated applications by the book, with seals, new crush washers etc. It's a dicey proposition. I would look into reconnecting the wires to the clutch lever.

Do you know why they were cut to begin with?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
orangebear OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
1. Reconnect the wires.
2. Get a new Neutral Switch (I would avoid this).

There are a lot of stories out there about the replacement neutral switch leaking ... even after repeated applications by the book, with seals, new crush washers etc. It's a dicey proposition. I would look into reconnecting the wires to the clutch lever.

Do you know why they were cut to begin with?
the wires broke off when i was riding in frances then when i replaced the wiring harness there was no wires spare.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,609
I just tried to find the long thread about neutral switches leaking but was unsuccessful. I may not remember all of it but I think it was decided that the switch currently sold by the dealer is faulty, it will leak. There is a way to fix it but we'll skip that for now because you can buy a working and non-leaking switch from Hucky's. He has the brass switches that don't leak.

You can check and clean the wiring. Might help. You could also fix the clutch switch problem.

Or you can connect the wires going to the neutral switch and have the green light on all the time. You could possibly accomplish the same thing, I think, by connecting permanently the clutch wires, the bike will start in gear but the green light will be off, at least.

BTW, this is how motorcycles and cars were made many years ago before somebodies Grandmother told the legislature that we needed a feature on our cars and bikes that would under some circumstances not allow the motor to start because we were all idiots and with out this feature we would surely kill ourselves starting the car or motorcycle we were driving or riding.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
orangebear OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I just tried to find the long thread about neutral switches leaking but was unsuccessful. I may not remember all of it but I think it was decided that the switch currently sold by the dealer is faulty, it will leak. There is a way to fix it but we'll skip that for now because you can buy a working and non-leaking switch from Hucky's. He has the brass switches that don't leak.

You can check and clean the wiring. Might help. You could also fix the clutch switch problem.

Or you can connect the wires going to the neutral switch and have the green light on all the time. You could possibly accomplish the same thing, I think, by connecting permanently the clutch wires, the bike will start in gear but the green light will be off, at least.

BTW, this is how motorcycles and cars were made many years ago before somebodies Grandmother told the legislature that we needed a feature on our cars and bikes that would under some circumstances not allow the motor to start because we were all idiots and with out this feature we would surely kill ourselves starting the car or motorcycle we were driving or riding.

i will look at getting at new clutch switch and them trying to find the right wires to plug on to it as i have 3 plugs under the tank not in uses one will be the clutch.

the N switch is not leaking and 99% of the time works as it should.

thanks for the help
Old 10-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
AK Bob
AKAM

Oddometer: 212
Sounds disfunctional

Since the wires to the clutch were cut years ago, and the bike worked untill reciently.

Normally wireing diagrams are shown in the "normal unactivated state", so looking at the diagram for my '88, the switches are shown Normally Open. So here is my educated WAG.

The clutch switch was in a normaly open state and closed when you pull in the clutch.

The same goes for the neutral switch..

That gives you a couple of choices.

Fix the clutch switch and the neutral switch, and bring the bike back to its original state. Pulling the Gear Box and replacing the switch is not something that any Airhead that I know couldn't do themselves. Spline Lube is probably due anyway..

or

Disable the Neutral switch, by pulling the wires off the switch and short them together, and insulate them.

I'll make one real hard sugestion, if you pull the conectors short them together, with a shorting bar and LEAVE THE CONECTIONS STOCK, then fixing it right will be easy for the next guy.
'84 R100rt
'88 R100gs
AK Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
We're all gonna die!

My airhead has no neutral switch, nor light. I can tell when it's in neutral, whether it's running or not. And even though there's no switch involved, I pull the clutch in before I press the starter button, because mistakes happen. Interlocks don't make us safer, they make us rely on devices to feel safer. I prefer to rely on my awareness to stay safe. Pre-flight check? Nah, we don't need to do that, the interlocks will protect us.

Oh, and before you tell me a story about riding off with my side stand down, stop. I don't have one. It's centerstand only for me, thanks. The worst I'll do is throw off a bunch of sparks!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
orangebear OP
Beastly Adventurer

i have got the new clutch switch off line its the same as the front brake switch so it should be a 5 min job to fit.
it looks like the last owner had fitted a /6 switch and they had solderd the wires on hences it braking.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
We're all gonna die!

My airhead has no neutral switch, nor light. I can tell when it's in neutral, whether it's running or not. And even though there's no switch involved, I pull the clutch in before I press the starter button, because mistakes happen. Interlocks don't make us safer, they make us rely on devices to feel safer. I prefer to rely on my awareness to stay safe. Pre-flight check? Nah, we don't need to do that, the interlocks will protect us.
!
+1!
On any bike I intend to keep, all that crap gets removed. If I intend to sell it (ever), I keep it. I think of it as weight reduction. I remove about 6 ounces of wiring and switches, and a ton of headaches.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
orangebear OP
Beastly Adventurer

just fitted the new clutch switch and it sort the problem
Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
just fitted the new clutch switch and it sort the problem
Didn't really sort out the problem. You got a work around.

If nothing else, check the cleanliness and security of the related wiring. The problem may be there and not in the switch itself.

Current - '74 TR5T : '93 R100R : '06 ST3s
Past - Variety of British, French, Italian, Czechoslovakian, and German bikes from the '70s, '80s and '90s
R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote