User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
TPMS for 2nd set of wheels

Looking to run a set of winter wheels for our 2012 RAV4. Got wheels, getting tires now I need to sort out the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system). Anyone got any leads on this.

-Yes I can run without and have a warning light. That is what I do on my truck, but do not want to do on the wifes car. It is also illegal to no run TPMS on a car that came with it (not that I realloy care about breaking this law).

-Get a set of TPMS sensors, get the car programed to read them. Do this twice a year, most shops charge about $50 each time.

-Get the ATEQ quickscan tool and do it yourself.

-Get a programable sensors to copy/clone the existing sensor. This is the option that I am looking into.

If you are knowledgable in TPMS's give me what you know.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Not sure about Toyota but I had 2 sets of wheels for a BMW I owned. There was no programming involved just swap the wheels. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Not sure about Toyota but I had 2 sets of wheels for a BMW I owned. There was no programming involved just swap the wheels. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
mitchapalooza
Rider is Air-cooled

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Can't do that with the new ones, their Ids are stored in the ecu.

My bet would be to just reprogram twice a year or use the code-able ones. Thankfully toyotas are not position specific (fl, fr, rr, lr).
mitchapalooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Having a hard time sourcing programable ones. Have not even be able to talk to a tire shop that knows about clone/programable sensors. These things have been around for a while now. I am surprised there is not more knowledge on these things.

Cub elctronics make a sensor and a scanner tool. But that is a dead end company with only one vendor which seems to be bunk.

Orange electronics is another. I can find sensors for sale, but can not find their "T30" scanner/programing tool. I ahve e-mail out to all the companies.

EZ sensor. Who the hell knows about them. Seems like jsut a website with nothing puracheable.

Arrrr
Old 10-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
I hate the stupid things. If people cant buy and use a $1.29 pencil gauge they shouldn't be allowed to drive.
/end rant/

What you can do is seal the 4 TPMS in a PCV tube. Seal both ends and thread a schraeder valve on one end. Pump it up to 35psi and toss it in the back of the SUV. Never worry about the seasonal swap again. Run regular valves in the wheels.

Yes, I'm a bit of a Luddite
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am not really concerned about the blinking light. A piece of black tape can take care of it. I think that the TPMS is a good feature. It is not just for keeping the tires inflated to the right pressure. They notify you that you have a flat. If you get a flat on the highway you will not notice till it is close to totaly flat. At that point it really effects your ablility to handle a car. This is more true the taller the tire, like a truck or SUV. It gives you some pre warning so that you can find a safe place to pull over, as in some parts of the Highways there are no shoulders.

I had a experiance with the TPMS that was very positive. I was four wheeling in the desert. Just climb to the top of a rocky pass and about the decend some gnarly stuff on the the back side. We were out taking some pictures on the ridge, get back in the truck and notice that the TPMS warning light has come on. Get out of the truck and sure enough one of the tires was hissing. I had cut it on the hill climb, and it was leaking pretty fast. It would have been compeltly flat in about 10 min or less. Had I not had the warning I would have gone down the techinal section with the a leaking tire, which would have been compeletly flat by the time I got into the thick of it. I would have surely gotten stuck as those 75 series tires would have lost me about 10 inches of ground clearance. I would have also been in a bad place to be able to jack the truck up to change the flat, with the spare most likey unassessable under the truck.

I am trying to set this TPMS up for the new family car. So i want to make things as factory and ligit as possible. But I am begining to lose hope and might jsut give up. :( I already had regular vavle stems with these new alloy rims.

The sealed tube (pipe bomb) method is kind of silly, as I would have to remove the sensors from my summer wheels. If I was to go that route, I would simply zip tie the sensors together with a block of wood/plastic between them. The sensors are a pressure sensor. Some dude figured out that appling physical pressure mimiks air pressure enough to fool the sensor.

Today I will call a few TPMS cloning companies directly to see if that gets me anywhere.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
I'm also struggling with this issue. Just bought a new Suzuki Kizashi and picked up a mint set of MB wheels with Hankook Winter iPikes for a song on Craigslist. Now I have to fight this stupid TPMS fitting/calibrating.

Now that programmable sensors are available the idea of paying for a tool or a shop to reset the sensors is moot. I've heard good things about the Schrader E-Z valve. It just copies the code off of the old sensor so no reset tool required for later switches. No need to do any of the other crap. I had the local Discount Tire quote me $60 a pop to install these, so I think I'll go that route.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the lead. Called my local discount tire. They quoted me $70 per wheel. x4 + tax comes to $301. Did I mention that I was cheap too. They also want to mount my tires at $25 each. That is twice what the local guys chage.

I had budgeted $200 for the TPMS.

Called orange electronics. They do not deal directly wiht customers, and do not sell a home user scanner programmer. Need to go through their distributor: The Wheel Group. Very limited locations.

The search continues.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
I had them installed today. Major disappointment to find out that Suzuki does not support the programmable sensors meaning that despite using VDO Redi-sensor (same as EZ sensor) I will still have to go back and have them scanned each time I change wheels. Luckily its free but still a hassle i didnt want to deal with. Check the application guide on both the Schrader and VDO site to make sure they will work for your car.

I was charged $60 a wheel with no labor. Cost of sensor only.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Two Speed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
It is also illegal to no run TPMS on a car that came with it (not that I realloy care about breaking this law).
Disabling the tpms warning light system is illegal.
Running without TPMS sensors is perfectly within your right.

Alex.
Two Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #12
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Can't you teach the sensors?

I have a 2011 F150 and according to the owners manual there is a procedure to teach the vehicle which tire is on which position on the vehicle.

I have not had to do this.

My issue with TPMS is I would rather run a lower pressure in the tire when I am not carrying a heavy load.

for the programmers etc, check out a local NAPA store, their fliers have all that stuff........but it is quite expensive for an individual, and it programs them according to vehicle/year etc, not what pressure you would like to run.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #13
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,444
I bought some tires at the local shop last year. May have paid a little more than I should but....!

Too wet and muddy to do my switchover yesterday so took my wheels there. Half an hour and drove out at NO charges, brakes checked, TPMS reset and they even checked my spare.Saturday....drove to the store and bought them some beers.

I did ask them about resetting the TPMS on a Toyota and such. $55.00 + Tax but......NO charges ever if you buy the tires from us.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Two Speed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by keswind View Post
When I snapped off a TPMS valve stem on my truck a few years ago I replaced it myself with an old fashioned rubber valve stem. About 8 months later, when I got new tires I explained what I did to the tire tech and asked him could he just put 4 rubber valve stems on all 4 wheels, and, with a knowing look, he said no problem. I did have to sign at the bottom of the receipt that I had asked them to do it and that I was fully aware of it, etc. I had no idea that it was illegal, and, if I did, I probably would have....
It is NOT illegal to run without sensors.
Two Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

So this is how the story ends.

Went to the local tire shop. He read three sensors and said the last one was frozen. My wife said she is not going back as they dude was a total ass. Thus that ends my line on the on-line tire shop from Florida that was going to program a set of tires and send them to me.

I have gathered now that if you buy tires from a shop and pay their mark up; they will lick your balls if you ask them to. If you buy your tires not from them and try to use them as a tires shop; they will kick you in the balls.

Discount tires: can't justify $300.

All the other guys. No reply.

This last Friday I went to the local gas station. Handed over 4 brand new blizzak ws-70, 4 17x7 factory 2012 alloy rims
with 7K miles on them, and four rubber/chrome valve stems I pulled out of my pocket. Picked them up 50 min later and gave him $50 cash.

Maybe by the next time I get tires the TPMS will come down in cost or at least easier to figure out, and I will get them.

Till now. I guess I will continue to kick the tires before I drive, and mindful of the tire gague.