User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
AngryRed OP
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
F800GS DIY 12k Maintenance

Ok I just called my local shop in Las Vegas and they want a wallet splitting $650.00 for the 12,000 mile service for my trusty 2009 F800GS. I couldn't believe the price but the service manage did his justification spiel and told me it is what it is. I called some other shops and confirmed the 12k service was anywhere from $400 to $500 so my opinion is this shop is high and they can be, they are the only game in town.

Nuff said on that, I want to do the majority if not all the service myself. I'm no stranger to maintenance, I did all my own on my old Ducati Monster and if you can adjust cam belts successfully on that guy you can do pretty much anything.

Point of the post then is resources. I've been searching most of the day and I just can't find the definitive information I need on the web so I figured heck, let's ask the inmates. I've read the dealer won't sell you a manual? Does anyone have a link or reputable site that will? I've been looking for a detailed list on what is included in the 12k service but only see posts about bikes for sale. Any listing or resource on what one should do for 12k? Basically I'm looking for any resources you guys can provide to assist one in walking through the 12k service for this bike. Again I'm no newbie to the wrench but I also want to follow a checklist on items to check.

Thanks in advance and my family's savings account thanks you. $650... come on, even with inflation there is a breaking point.

2013 Super Tenere

AngryRed screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 10:09 PM
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Yip
gà - n00b

Oddometer: 19
I am living in Vietnam where there is no BMW Motorad and no authorized service dealer so I have to do all the maintenance for my F800GS by myself.
What I need are:
1)a DVD of Service Manual (purchased on Ebay)
2)To-do list on this site: http://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcyc...schedules.aspx.
3)GS-911 diagnostic tool :http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...gs911blu-p-807
Yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
mitchapalooza
Rider is Air-cooled

Oddometer: 115
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453896
mitchapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
AngryRed OP
Lost in Cyber Space

Thanks, great start. I'm thinking of having the shop do the valve check and I can do the rest. Engine oil change is a walk in the park as I've done it many times on many bikes including this one, but the oil change in the forks may take some research. Service manual on CD will definitely be a must.

Everything else is trivial and basic mechanical skills can cover. It definitely doesn't add up to $650 bones.

Thanks again for the link.

2013 Super Tenere
Old 10-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Hayate
ADV Monkey

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRed View Post
Thanks, great start. I'm thinking of having the shop do the valve check and I can do the rest. Engine oil change is a walk in the park as I've done it many times on many bikes including this one, but the oil change in the forks may take some research. Service manual on CD will definitely be a must.

Everything else is trivial and basic mechanical skills can cover. It definitely doesn't add up to $650 bones.

Thanks again for the link.
Good theory, but the labor involved in the 12k is mostly getting at the valve check. They knocked off $75 for me once because I did all the trivial stuff (brakes, chain, oil). I'm at 42k and haven't done the 36k interval yet but mean to tackle the whole job myself for the first time.

In addition to the service schedule already linked here is a great walk through that I for one learned a lot from and will be using to assist my maintenance. I do have the BMW shop disc (you can in fact order them from your dealer even though I also heard that rumor at one point... should be like $110), but these pictures and explanation of the valve adjust procedure are worth so much more to me.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623587

Oh and the Haynes manual is out too. A guy in my club got it and though I have not reviewed or compared it to the BMW shop manual he claims it is doing the trick. And it's a lot freaking cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/F800-Twins-Ser...eywords=800+gs
Minnesota Parallel "Twin" Cities GS Riders
Daniel Betlock Adventure Rider
Hayate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,430
I bring mine to the 12k maintenance on Saturday. If you want me to send you the detailed "bill" just PM me this weekend. In France it's about 250-300€. Great bill but if you live in an appartment you can't perform a great oilchange by yourself
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,830
Your fork oil change isn't due yet so don't bother. 30, 000 kms is the next inspection. I don't think that was included in your estimate cause that involves removing the forks and turning them upside down (upside right on an 800 ). That's another hour or so.

The valve check is lengthy and meticulous but not high tech. You shouldn't need an adjustment on the first check unless the factory messed it up from the start. I just did our 658 in under 2 hrs and that included lots of care and cleaning, setting up a table and being real careful with the body panels since she hasn't scratched them yet. My 800 is also due but I expect to have to adjust it as the last check showed I had an exhaust valve tight.

The write up posted here is great. The trickiest part is getting the valve cover out/in as it's a tight fit in the frame. The only special tool I had to buy was the long 6" feeler guages.

Should be easier there in that nice weather. Good luck!

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
... The only special tool I had to buy was the long 6" feeler guages.
2 Hours ... I'm impressed ... I'm thinking that being as "meticulous" as, and this being the first time I'll have done this I could make this an all-day project easily ....

Hmmmmmmm I had not thought about the possible need for longer feeler gauges ... dang

Commenting on the cost:
The dealers do charge a lot of money, but it is a somewhat lengthy procedure even if you are NOT meticulous...
Also you are paying retail price for a fair number of parts that BMW is kinda proud of .... valve cover gasket set,
air filter, spark plugs, oil & oil filter etc....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,830
Quote:
........and being real careful with the body panels since she hasn't scratched them yet.
Faaaaaaaaaaack!

I went and jinxed it. A cager pulled out in front of her last night and took her out. In a slow zone in front of the church...... As they say, close to home. We've done countless miles together and she even wore out her last GS. First bike accident in 10 yrs riding. She's having an operation right now on her wrist......waiting.

Anyhow, I've done the valve check many times so it does go easier. I put alll the parts with their hardware together and in the order I took them off so a spare bolt is immediately identified before it's too late. Even saved the cut cable ties so I knew how many to reinstall. Take notes if you have to, pics help if you're iffy. I'm sure you could stretch it out if you wanted to. Maybe play "what's this" while sipping on something. You won't get an exact measurement on the valves cause you're bending a feeler guage over and blindly sticking it in. Kinda like a "go, no go" check. I'm an Aircraft Mech so it's much easier than a variable inlet guide vane mechanism inspection. Even so, you can always ask here if you get in trouble .

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Faaaaaaaaaaack!

I went and jinxed it. A cager pulled out in front of her last night and took her out. In a slow zone in front of the church...... As they say, close to home. We've done countless miles together and she even wore out her last GS. First bike accident in 10 yrs riding. She's having an operation right now on her wrist......waiting.
Awww crap............. that stinks!
I hope she heals fast and well!

Thanks for the tips, I found a set of 6" gauges @ local tool supply, will pick them up this week!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
AngryRed OP
Lost in Cyber Space

Wow sorry Reaver... hope she heals up quick.

Thanks to everyone else on the advice. Everyone willing to help each other out, that's why I love this place

2013 Super Tenere
Old 10-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,430
just came back from my 12k maintenance:

249€ which included the change of my rear brake pad. The actual thing is around 200€. can't imagine why it would cost 650$ o0
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 265
Red,

I am in Summerlin and have a GS-911 so I can read any fault codes and reset your service interval. I have the maintenance CD and a Haynes Manual. I also have a 2009 F800GS.

Check Oso Blanco's most excellent post on valve check/adjustment here

The local dealer has been good to me but $95 per hour labor? Nein Danke.

PM for contact info.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
fwiw the 800 likely does NOT need a valve check/adjustment at 12k miles.

I took my bike into my dealer, of a long time/several bikes..for the 12k and he did not do the valve check after he listened to the valve lash and said it was not needed. Just and oil change and the general check list about $250 if memory serves.

I took the bike back for the 24k at about 20k(just before leaving on a long trip) and again the dealer listened to the bike and said no valve check needed, did get new front pads and the general check list.

when I came back for the 30k He did do the valve check....$68 for gaskets but there was no charge for valve shims...wonder if they were free (does BMW replace any wear parts for free???) or the bike did not need adjustment...did not think to ask.

If the factory did the original assembly correct(ie the valve not too tight) normal wear will only open the tolerance...no damage just a bit noisier...

bottom line if it were me...I'd listner carefully for bad valve lash (or get some one who knows to do this for you) if it does not sound loose....skip the valve check.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

It was mentioned in another thread that typically the valve lash on these engines gets tighter as time/miles go by,
and not looser like most other engines.

I am not personally 100% certain that this is true, but if it is true .... then listening to the engine is not a sure-fire way of ascertaining that check is not needed.

I had the dealership do the 12K check just to avoid any arguments about warranty if I needed it in the future. I asked the mechanic that did the check if he would write down all the clearances for me, and he was nice enough to do so.
As soon as I gather up a few more items I'll be going in and doing the next check my self and will report back on how the clearances have changed.

In other news, for those of you that have a GS-911 the twins keep an internal "mileage counter" that says when the next valve lash check is "REALLY" due ... the 12K intervals is what's in the print documentation, but the BMS-K is doing some sort of internal calculation based on rpm/load/how-much-German-beer you have drunk.....
In my case the GS-=911 said the check did not need to be performed until ~29K miles....