Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #16
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
Kids and I all were them, the oldest 8yrs, has an open face and took one good whack to the nose and changed his mind about being cool like the big boys. He's also kissed a tree at mild speed previously on his mx bike and full face helmet.

I bought a Kali down hill helmet, works fine, I sweat like a bastard in anything. Kids wulfsport helmets are very light. By the way, how does an 8 yr old get an adult medium size skull?
Must be something in the water- my 10 year old son wears an adult large and size 10 boots

This is a great thread- I just got my first trials bike and came with a lid, I just ordered the Bell downhill helmet after seeing this post and thinking of cracking my chin on the bars. Might be getting a cup too
Old 10-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #17
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
another vote for the mtb helmet,cooler and lighter
i practice with my bell bellistic downhill helmet but its not legal to compete with so use a open face trials wulfsport helmet at those times
greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
Will Hesch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
As I've been researching mountain-bike and downhill-bike helmets I've read some interesting material, lots of it.

This article was the most interesting: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/DH-Helm...-Is-Safer.html

It concerns the typical impact sustained on a bike vs. a motorcycle, speed being the difference most of the time. I think typical trials riding fits into the mountain bike category, speed-wise.

It seems at high speeds you need a harder helmet, both outside and in, that makes sense.

However, at lower speeds, like what we usually see in observed trials, you can use a softer shell and padding which better absorbs any impacts instead of shaking our brains (what's left of them) in our skulls.

That's a layman's summary, read the article for yourself and see what you think.

I'm wondering if it's necessary for sanctioning organizations to mandate DOT or Snell approved helmets when the CE EN1078 standards have been met by the manufacturers of mountain bike helmets and when these helmets my in fact be better at preventing injuries in low speed falls.

Something to think about.
Will Hesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #19
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
maybe......

The difference being a 150 lb bike dropping on your head at 20Ft Vs a 15Lb one?
I also argue about why we cant use the MTB helmets for ama comp. but cant seem to get anywhere with it....
nwcycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
I think the NATC rule just says it must be a AMA or FIM approved helmet. Not sure what that means. Im sure it must be tied to insurance and could vary state to state.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
Will Hesch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I get your point but don't plan on ever riding up a 20' face where I, then my bike could fall on me. I don't ride the world circuit so that's not an issue for me or for 99% of the members on this forum.

I'm sure the rules are for insurance purposes and probably won't be changed any time soon.

It just seems to make sense to me to wear a helmet designed for slower impacts than one that is designed for highway speed impacts. My pea-brain needs all the help it can get!
Will Hesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #22
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
O contrair !!

I am on the side of wearing the MTB Helmet, as i personally think it protects better than the ones that the everyone seems to wear, and they actually look 2 sizes to small for the most part..
I just feel beter knowing that my mug is protected better, not that I have a glamor smile, its I dont have any dental ins....
I dont do any 20' anything unless it involves a ladder,.............
nwcycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #23
workerant
Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer: 1,894
Depends what I'm doing. I'll wear an open face helmet for field drills but if there are rocks or trees around I'm wearing my full face dirt helmet. If it's a combo day I err on the side of safety.

I'm not vain but nobody's face is improved by crashing on it.
workerant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #24
amcross
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcycle View Post
Myself and offspring all do, I use a Bellistic Downhill Mountain bike helmet, Both kids use a SixSix1 Mountain bike helmet, they weigh the same as a potato chip, almost zero interference with vision, and all under $80.00
Not to mention how much cooler ( Not Style ) they are to wear...
I have seen even the best get out of shape and how quickly these bikes accelerate, usually heading into something more solid than your face,,,, Just cheap insurance for us

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/bel...ce-helmet.html

http://www.allsportprotection.com/Si..._p/6610007.htm

For reference only !!!!!!!!!
Macattack occasionally wears his full face downhill mountain bike helmet, i wish i could get him to wear it every ride. the rest of the time he is in a high quality open face.

I personally ride in a very "stylish" but not very "cool' temp motocross helmet. I am just a rookie/novice, but know that I make stupid mistakes and it is worth the little extra weight to protect my face.
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #25
caryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
One of the advanced guys in our club started wearing his full face for practice and events. He gets a lot of why? comments from the other members. His takeaway is he feels more comfortable wearing it than an open face due to crash concerns. He is an aggressive rider and has moved through the classes pretty fast. For me it's a weight issue. The lighter the better as long as it's still going to protect my skull from rocks and hard knocks. I still wear knee pads though as my legs always get hurt in that area if I don't wear them even if I don't fall. I bang around on the frame, foot pegs and the occasional rock pretty much every ride. I hate taking a foot peg to the back of the knee when I don't make an obstacle.

Chuck
2003 Kawasaki KDX220R
1976 Yamaha RD400C
caryder is offline   Reply With Quote