User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
Mtl_Biker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
How to balance rear wheel?

I'm about to replace my rear tire for the first time and it'll be my first time dealing with tube tires and all that entails. I'm doing it in my back warehouse space at my office and will be trying to do this with only the tools I carry with me on the bike. I've patched (plugged) 5 flat tires in the last three years but those were with tubeless tires and I didn't have to remove the wheel to do it. As I said, this will be my first time with tube tires and I really want/need to learn how to do it properly when I'm on the road on a tour somewhere. Which is why I'm not getting a shop to change the tire for me. I've got to do it myself at least one time!

Anyway, my first question is about how to balance the rear wheel. Specifically whether it should be done with the sprocket installed or removed? I've got to take it off anyway so I could do the balancing either way, but I'd like to know which is the right way.

For tools I've got the Best Rest Products bead breaking kit which disassembles nicely and fits into my tool tube. Balancing will be done with my Marc Parnes static balancer.

Thanks for any (prompt) tips...
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
When it's on the bike the sprocket will be attached so I'd think you really want to balance the entire rotating assembly. I doubt the sprocket will be unbalanced, but why balance the wheel without the sprocket and then attach a potentially unbalanced part however small the chance is?
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,326
The Dealers only balance the wheel, not the sprocket and hub. If you're interested, balance the wheel then add the rest to see if it changes. Then rotate the sprocket hub 180 and try again. They aren't matched and can go on in 4 different positions. Remember if you're on an Adventure, fully loaded, you won't care about it cause you won't be going fast enough to notice.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
YouTube is your friend...
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Mtl_Biker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Task completed. SUCCESSFULLY!!!

And I'd kinda answered my own question in that the Marc Parnes Static Balancer doesn't even fit (not long enough) if you leave the sprocket and cush bearings installed. That's gotta come off. (And YouTube shows lots of static balancing but I couldn't find anything about the sprocket, etc. and most of those videos showed the wheel already in the balancer and from the side that you couldn't see if the sprocket was attached or not.)

Before I started the project, I checked the balance of the existing tire/wheel and as far as I could tell, it was perfect.

The Best Rest Bead Breaker kit worked like a charm! I'd been worried about how difficult the task would be, but really I was worried for nothing. The tire came off the wheel fairly easily and much more easily than I'd expected. I did manage to put a few scratches on the rim though but then again, it IS a DUAL-SPORT bike and will probably have lots of scratches by the time I'm finished with it.

Once I'd gotten the new tire installed I was surprised to find that the balance didn't need to be changed. I stuck a few little weights on (temporarily) just to check that everything was working right and it was. There was NO red or yellow dot on the new tire nor any kind of marking about where the heaviest or lightest spot was. Just lucky I guess that the balance didn't need to be changed.

I probably could have gotten a few more miles on the existing tire, but I've got a longer trip coming up this weekend and I didn't want to be worried about the tire. Plus I wanted to do my FIRST tire change (ever) in the comfort of my own shop and not at the side of the road somewhere. Now I feel a lot more confident about being able to handle this when on tour.

Cheers!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Plus I wanted to do my FIRST tire change (ever) in the comfort of my own shop and not at the side of the road somewhere. Now I feel a lot more confident about being able to handle this when on tour.
That's what it's all about. It's hard to read the instructions at night in the rain. Well, that's my luck anyway.......
Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
Reklaw59
Softroader

Oddometer: 208
Dynabeads
Reklaw59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #8
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by reklaw59 View Post
dynabeads
+1
Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Mtl - Marc Parnes has a longer axle for his balancer. It's 14" for $20.00. It will accommodate the the wheel,sprocket & hub.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
Mtl_Biker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, but I think it worked fine with the shorter one. I had to take the sprocket and cush bearings off anyway and I doubt if balancing with or without them makes much of a difference.

And I really don't want to use Dynabeads in my tubes. Just have an aversion to doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloy View Post
Mtl - Marc Parnes has a longer axle for his balancer. It's 14" for $20.00. It will accommodate the the wheel,sprocket & hub.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
And I really don't want to use Dynabeads in my tubes. Just have an aversion to doing that.
That's what I thought at first too, Eldor.
Then I bought one of those Hiedeneau pieces of shit rear tires. As it wore I had to re-balance it THREE times........
Threw the Dynabeads in the tube and never worried about it again........
Old 06-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Agreed. Been using the beads for over 4 years and have never had a single issue using them.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsow View Post
Agreed. Been using the beads for over 4 years and have never had a single issue using them.
Have used dynabeads (3 oz) on a KTM bike with the K60's mounted on the rear tire. This includes the stock rim lock which obviously adds a few oz. of weight. You can't balance that tire normally due to the narrow width of the rim itself and I'm not really a fan of spoke weights any more.

The only issue is filling up the tube with the beads, takes time.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #14
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,519
i wouldnt think the sprocket would make much difference since it is so close to the center of the wheel.... and the wobbles are more related to uneven distribution of weight where centrifugal force is greatest (i.e at the furthest point away from the axel) hence why the weights go on the rim and not on the hub...

i think

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
Mtl_Biker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

How many beads... how full does the tube need to be with these things? Looking on their website it wasn't clear to me what needs to be ordered or what quantity of beads. And are the beads reusable?

I had imagined a very few (like a handful at most) beads would be needed, but it's sounding like it's more. If the tube gets quite full of these things, wouldn't that also make it more difficult to pull the tire off the rim and pull the tube out when changing tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post

The only issue is filling up the tube with the beads, takes time.