User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
Newatthis OP
lovemy800gs

Oddometer: 2
This takes the cake

I have a 2009 800GS which I love. The problem that I have had since new, is this "snatching throttle". More like "bunny hopping" actually. I'm sure that other owners have experienced the same thing. after many fruitless attempts at getting help from BMW South Africa, I emailed Germany, only to receive a reply with three words "live with it". I tried the boosterplug, changing the throttle free play and all other suggestions but eventually decided to get a bit hard on BMW South Africa. Yesterday I received a call from the technical head of BMW Motorrad South Africa, who claimed that he has never heard of this problem. I mean all trhe forums are full of this problem and yet this guy who is the technical head, and supposed to be informed, had never heard of this problem. All the dealers are pulling their hair out trying to find a solution, and this guy pleads ignorance! Makes me wonder if I'll buy another BMW. anyway, they have now said they will see what they can do. lets see if they are as good as their word
Newatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
run 17 tooth front softens the abrupt off idle delivery. Now you will need to slip clutch off road in technical stuff but the traction is better. old school off road guys are used to riding in taller gears and slipping the clutch. The stock clutch is very smooth with a very light pull.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 07:23 AM
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Install a power commander V with the map for stock pipe if you still have stock pipe and it will smooth it all out.

BMW has to build a bike that they can sell all over the world, will function at all elevations, and will meet environmental regulations depending on the country. This is the root of all evil
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I ran with the booster plug from HighTechCoonass here and that cured the vast majority of the snatchy throttle. After putting on the BMW Akrapovic exhaust, things are resolved in my opinion.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Newatthis OP
lovemy800gs

Oddometer: 2
This takes the cake

I'm liking the power commander option and if BMW can't (or won't) sort this out, then I will have to go that route. But, it will seriously count against me buying another BMW. By the way, if Triumph can get it right why can't BMW? Also an EFI motor. Also built for the world market. so what gives BMW?
Newatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newatthis View Post
if Triumph can get it right why can't BMW?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560273
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
When getting a little snatch is a bad thing.

I did notice from time to time my throttle will burst out with an unexpected raaap, and seem dangerous. Luckily, I am usually all alone on some dirty back road.
See: Reckess Driving on a dirty back Road: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP5vgZrlLKc

Can someone please define Snatchy throttle?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this: THROTTLE SNATCH DEFINED:

"the bike is so responsive at slower speeds and small throttle openings that you need to keep a light grip on the bars when riding at cruising speed; the stiff suspension can inadvertently cause your throttle hand to move ever so slightly over bumps, resulting in small bursts of unintended acceleration that--combined with the heavy engine braking due to the lack of a flywheel effect when backing off the throttle--can fast get annoying."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried adjusting my throttle with zero play in it and i did not like it. All I can say is "See for yourself."

My throttle can be adjusted with lotsa' play in it. That way, when I back off it is good and well backed off -and I rarely will feel a "snatch" burst from my hand. I shift smoother as well. - As far as accelerating? When it's on it's on. I don't notice the free play. Also, my cruise control throttle ring is usually tightened down enough, in the "off" position, that a unintended "SNATCH" doesn't just decide to take me for a ride and then make me pay for it in the end. Find it humorous since I like to get a little snatch on the side.

I also have a bigger rear sprocket and a smaller front one and Remus headers and exhaust. But thanks for pointing out another thing I can complain about to BMW.

photo c852aa2a.jpg

fractalsource screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 10:16 AM
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
[QUOTE=fractalsource;21564625

Can someone please define Snatchy throttle?
[/QUOTE]

For the F650/700/800's what people refer to as the "snatchy throttle" is the very abrupt off idle responce.

there seemes to be several ways to deal with it, all discussed at lenght in this forum

1. learn to live with it.......if you use 2nd gear and slip the clutch it doesn't seem as abrupt

2. fake the air temp sensor.... booster plug, High tech Coonass solutions

3. power commander V

have fun reading and trying to decipher
Old 06-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Krap To Maintain

Oddometer: 191
Must admit my one was not that bad maybe they upgraded the software in 2012 have you done the upgrade IE does the fuel reserve indicate range(old) or does it start counting from zero when you go on reserve(new)?

14 BMW GS 1200 LC
13 KTM 1190 Adv
08 KTM 990 Adv
990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
I remember some people saying a software update helped it.

Since I am too cheap to pay a dealer for an oil change, I haven't had mone back to one since my 6000mi service that wasted over a week and then gave me a half assed reply to one issue I had questioned.

I am running with quite a bit of free play in the throttle, and just got used to it.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
For the F650/700/800's what people refer to as the "snatchy throttle" is the very abrupt off idle responce.

there seemes to be several ways to deal with it, all discussed at lenght in this forum

1. learn to live with it.......if you use 2nd gear and slip the clutch it doesn't seem as abrupt

2. fake the air temp sensor.... booster plug, High tech Coonass solutions

3. power commander V

have fun reading and trying to decipher
Ahhh. Like when the throttle is off .. . it transitions, "jerky." - like- Not smooth?

I think If that is what you are saying?

I have already adapted to it, - and consider it part of the way the bike runs.

I'm looking into selling mine. But I need to find something better first.

I have a feeling that might not be too hard to figure out. With a few test rides of other makes and models.
Maybe I can get what I am looking for.

At this point, - Why have a bunch of screwy problems with the 800? Might as well go big or go home. I can't ride the F8 like I want. - So maybe a 12 gs is the answer. - (Besides the dent in my wallet.)

- I'll wait for the water cooled.
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,154
+1 for the booster plug from Hightechcoonass and an Akrapovic pipe. My bike went from almost being offered for sale to 90% improvement and a happy owner. Now if BMW would just increase the weight of the flywheel 200% we would make good progress. Coming from an R1200GS tractor clutch that was almost impossible to stall to this bike with no flywheel weight and a very narrow clutch sweet spot takes some getting used too!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:04 AM   #13
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
I agree she needs more flywheel for low speed technical riding.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote