User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

Oddometer: 365
Go for it.

I rebuilt a crashed R1200gs. It was great fun. I got the bike at a good price and worked out a repair budget. The on-road cost came in well below the price for a used equivalent. So I went for it.

The saving is that you are paying for parts only and prepared to overlook cosmetic damage. If the bike is being repaired for insurance there would be the additional cost of labor plus replacement of expensive parts such as engine covers etc.

For me, I got the engine rocker covers welded up and repainted. I purchased brand new forks from BMW. Got the front wheel straitened. (Only a small bend in it) new brake disk. Found a good frame, triple clamps, fairing frame and telelever from various wreckers.replaced all steering,suspension and wheel bearings with new. Glued up the plastic bits myself. Purchased a GS-911 so I could repair and reset the various faults. That was in my budget too, though I kept it for use on my x-challenge and now my F800.

The bike was in good mechanic condition and safe. I did not cut corners on the important bits. Like steering and brakes. I also reviewed my repair plan with the local BMW mechanic in case I had overlooked something important. It used no oil. Ran like a dream.

When I sold it I sold it to someone mechanically minded and gave him full disclosure of the bike. The damage it had, and exactly what I had done to repair it. He got the bike at a good price and was happy.
I owned the bike for 18 months and sold it for what it owed me. Which is good. I was personally not keen to sell to someone who was not aware of the background and did not understand what was done to it. maybe naive of me, but I wanted the buyer to be happy with it.

I got lucky with getting it registered for the road. It is a little more difficult here now and I know some people have been burned by paying too much for the bike and underestimating the cost of repair.

So, I recommend doing it. it is great fun and you get to know the bikes very well. Just do your homework and work out a budget before starting.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
diegoteck OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Tinkerer View Post
I rebuilt a crashed R1200gs. It was great fun. I got the bike at a good price and worked out a repair budget. The on-road cost came in well below the price for a used equivalent. So I went for it.
I'm sad because I couldn't bring the bike home today, but it was literally nothing to be done to it and I'd like a little challenge. I have another auction to attend next week, the bikes listed are not exactly what im looking for, but if the price is right I'll jump on them! I could have fun and I coud also be a step closer to my ideal bike. I'm planning my trip for 2014, still have some time to find my love.

diegoteck screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 10:43 AM
diegoteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
When the OP started this thread I did some looking to justify my response. Came across this link. http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.inf...00gs/for-sale/ I was surprised to see one auction house with so many of these bikes listed. I was also shocked by some of the lightly damaged bikes with salvage titles. I give it to Lucas on this point! I don't know how firm the asking price is but assume when they say "Starting Price" they mean it. To me the bikes listed at this site are way over priced. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Those seem over priced to me as well, at least the few that I had a look at.

The trick here will be to cut out the middle men and their margin, and buy directly from the insurance, then you can get some great deals. In Austria and Germany there are closed websites where all the insurances post their vehicles with lots of pictures and a damage assessment report, and authorized account holders (usually dealers or salvage yards) can view them and place hidden bids. One day after the end they tell you if you won.

My friend is a dealer so I check it every now and then. Just today I bought an 07 KTM 250 with some scratches and a broken fender for 50% of market value. If it were your own fault you'd pick the bike up and ride on, but because it was somebody elses fault the damage was assessed at €4000 which is the same as the bike is worth.

So whether it's worth it entirely depends on the price you can get the vehicle for compared to what you are going to spend on getting it ready for whatever your plans for it are. As a long distance bike where scratches etc don't matter, it shouldn't be hard to find a good deal.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
diegoteck OP
Adventurer

so far I was able to bid on a couple of bikes with no success.
The Sertao sold for $5000 (fees and shipping included), the grey F800gs from 2009 with no computer and mechanical problems on $7000 and the last theft recovery for $6500, all salvage titles. I didn't think any of those were great deals. I'll be looking for a bike with more damage, probably that is the way to go.
10130816_1_I
10228568_1_I
10228568_7_I
Photobucket
Photobucket
Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #21
diegoteck OP
Adventurer

For now I'm stocking up on some parts that may come handy, I found a 2012 engine for F650gs with no miles and a speedo. I'll keep you guys updated.
Photobucket

diegoteck screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 10:56 PM
Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
diegoteck OP
Adventurer

Got it!!!

After searching all insurance auctions for the last two months or so my hard work paid off, I finally was able to get what it think is a great deal!!!
Got me a 2010 F800GS salvage title from an insurance company for little over 5k.
For the insurance company this bike had a value of $12,000 and a estimate repair cost of $10,967.
It was described as "Run and drive".
I didn't receive the bike yet, but I definnetly don't think I'll spend much money to have it ready. Fingers crossed

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Nice find there man! That could really turn out to be a great deal, seat, side panel, windshield and you are ready to go! Provided it actually runs and nothing is bent....
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Way to go!

I did it and it was well worth it. Need to be patient for parts to come up used.

divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #25
diegoteck OP
Adventurer

Nice work,
I'm in no hurry, besides winter in Utah is no the best for riding, I have time to search for my parts.
I arranged shipping today, may be getting the bike in about 2 weeks, for now I just need to worry about making some room in my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divimon2000 View Post
Way to go!

I did it and it was well worth it. Need to be patient for parts to come up used.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #26
diegoteck OP
Adventurer

Finally got my bike, and it looks great, I was surprise it came with the seat, also there was more damage in a couple of areas I didn't notice pictures from the auction.
I was also able to talk to the dealer that serviced the bike, they are sending me all records, good thing is that the bike was regularly serviced up to the 18000 miles, now it has 24000 and I'm due for a valve adjustment.
They were the ones to write the estimate that the insurance company used to "total" the bike, they listed "every part it had a scratch on" (quoted from dealer), from foot pegs to mirrors and they came up with a $12k repair bill.

I made a list of all the parts I need to fix the bike, I also had some really good finds on eBay and here

Side fairing $215 - advrider
muffler oem $81 - ebay
stock seat $ 75 - ebay
mirrors $31 - ebay
bmw touring windscreen and touartech dash - $252 ebay
heated grip $121 - dealer
front wheel cover $57 - dealer
side marker $12 - dealer
air duct - $49 - dealer
all bolts and nuts $ 180 dealer
A weekend of fun working on the bike - PRICELESS

Total $1073

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

diegoteck screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 03:31 PM
Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #27
diegoteck OP
Adventurer

Final product

Ok, I got around to finish the project bike and boy I'm happy! I was able to do a section of the UTBDR a few weekends ago and I'm looking forward to have more fun with this amazing machine.

Here is the video of my first trip, probably too long and also in Spanish, but the pictures and scenery are worth it. Min 11:20 is the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPB8YhSHnJQ&sns=em
Old 06-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #28
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Looks good! Funny how they will total a bike for some minor things, yet my car with a KBB value of $14k wasn't total'd, they spent $17k fixing it... Thanks guys!

I should probably get my K100RS back on the road before I even look at getting another project

Enjoy your machine

Matt
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #29
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
amazing! 6 months later you have a new bike! how many miles do it has?
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #30
diegoteck OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
amazing! 6 months later you have a new bike! how many miles do it has?
Hahah, it didn't take me that long, Actually once I got all my parts of eBay and the flea market, it took me a few hours to put it tougher.
The bike has 25k miles, that is the only thing I'm not too happy about, since the battery was disconnected, the dash didn't show the miles on the auction pictures, so I bid on it not knowing he miles, I just assumed since there were not upgrades on the bike, like luggage rack or panniers it wasn't ridden too much. But well the previous owner did ride it a bit.
A good thing was that since the bike came from Tucson I was able to find the dealers that sold and serviced the bike since new and. All services were up to date.