ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #211
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,926
Saturday, me and Matt rode from Perry towards Frog rock!
Didn't make the rock, but a great ride, nonetheless!!
Sunday we rode from Perry to Salt Plains section
!!
Another great ride!! Even made it across a bridge that required a go around on my last trip!
Not many pictures, but hopefully I'll get them posted soon!!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #212
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirtjoe View Post
Saturday, me and Matt rode from Perry towards Frog rock!
Didn't make the rock, but a great ride, nonetheless!!
Sunday we rode from Perry to Salt Plains section
!!
Another great ride!! Even made it across a bridge that required a go around on my last trip!
Not many pictures, but hopefully I'll get them posted soon!!
Well, we almost crossed paths. Saturday, Cropear and I caught the OAT west of Perry and followed it up to Salt Plains. Sunday we followed it south and west into SW Oklahoma.
On the way to Salt Plains we ran into two roads that were closed due to bridges out or deteriorated. One we crossed, one we routed around. I think I know which bridge you're talking about, but I promise to post some pics so we can compare notes.

I'll do a more detailed report in a day or two hopefully.

Good to see folks getting out on the OAT.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #213
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,926
We saw some tracks from a knobbie tire,,,yours?

Second bridge wasn't to bad, Matt made it across on the dr650 with Avon distanza rear!!

I was on the wr290r with Kenda 760's !!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #214
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirtjoe View Post
We saw some tracks from a knobbie tire,,,yours?

Second bridge wasn't to bad, Matt made it across on the dr650 with Avon distanza rear!!

I was on the wr290r with Kenda 760's !!
I'll bet those were our tracks; we were on Michelin T63s & Conti TKC 80s.

We got on the OAT north of Garber, where it intersects Hwy 74/15. The first closed bridge we came across was a 1 1/2 miles west of there, right before the intersection of CR N3020 & E0340/Great Lakes Rd. Coordinates are N36 31 14 & W 97 36 54.

We added an additional log across the big gap, but other than that crossed with minimal effort and a little sweat. We were both on 650s.

The second dead end/closed bridge was just SE of Jefferson, at the intersection of CR N2940 & E0210/Garvin Rd. Coordinates are N 36 42 33 & W 97 46 05. There is a big new SandRidge gas well here.
This was heavily grown up and had a hot wire fence across the "road"/trail, so I didn't investigate any further and we rerouted to the North.
Sorry, we didn't get any pics of this one, but it didn't and doesn't look very ridable.

Any of this look or sound familiar?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #215
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Western OAT ride

Short report of our Western OAT ride with embarrassingly few pics here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=40
Old 05-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #216
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Western OAT info

I'm new at this so bear with me. Hopefully there's a GPX file attached. I created it in Basecamp.

It should show our route that as far as it concerns the OAT. I've marked as waypoints:
-Location of the closed roads/bridges
-Location of the ranch that we don't need to be riding through. It was a good ride through there and a public road, but the landowner made it clear he'd rather not see hordes of riders coming through.
-Easy possible re-route of the OAT to avoid the ranch (track in dark grey)

I will note that the "road" that is currently on the OAT route through this ranch is non-existent now. It must have been there at one time, but the only road now is the one we used. That's why there's a discrepancy between our route and the current OAT route.

Also, the road from around Herring/Washita River to the suggested re-route is currently very thick gravel and absolutely no fun to ride. I don't know if we hit it at the wrong time or not, but I thought it was worth noting.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Western OAT.gpx (1.05 MB, 34 views)
Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #217
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post
I'm new at this so bear with me. Hopefully there's a GPX file attached. I created it in Basecamp.

It should show our route that as far as it concerns the OAT. I've marked as waypoints:
-Location of the closed roads/bridges
-Location of the ranch that we don't need to be riding through. It was a good ride through there and a public road, but the landowner made it clear he'd rather not see hordes of riders coming through.
-Easy possible re-route of the OAT to avoid the ranch (track in dark grey)

I will note that the "road" that is currently on the OAT route through this ranch is non-existent now. It must have been there at one time, but the only road now is the one we used. That's why there's a discrepancy between our route and the current OAT route.

Also, the road from around Herring/Washita River to the suggested re-route is currently very thick gravel and absolutely no fun to ride. I don't know if we hit it at the wrong time or not, but I thought it was worth noting.
I'm going to dedicate an afternoon to the oat here pretty soon and check out your routing and the other posible routings i've had mentioned to me. Sorry to hear about the light wreck.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #218
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

looked over kilted's sugestions and made some changes to the western section of the oat. Thanks for your work. First post of this thread has been updated with most recent revision.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #219
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post

The second dead end/closed bridge was just SE of Jefferson, at the intersection of CR N2940 & E0210/Garvin Rd. Coordinates are N 36 42 33 & W 97 46 05. There is a big new SandRidge gas well here.
This was heavily grown up and had a hot wire fence across the "road"/trail, so I didn't investigate any further and we rerouted to the North.
Sorry, we didn't get any pics of this one, but it didn't and doesn't look very ridable.

Any of this look or sound familiar?
Interesting... Basecamp shows the road going through but looking at google maps it very much does not go through...

I would suggest instead of going north and through Jefferson, heading one mile south to E0220 Road then west a mile and then back north to connect with the original road... this way you get to ride by Rock Island Park...
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #220
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Kiltedcrawford

Hey there...

Kiltedcrawford wrote: "Also, the road from around Herring/Washita River to the suggested re-route is currently very thick gravel and absolutely no fun to ride. I don't know if we hit it at the wrong time or not, but I thought it was worth noting."

where is this road, i've been jacking around and can't find it ... do you have anymore clues?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #221
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
Hey there...

Kiltedcrawford wrote: "Also, the road from around Herring/Washita River to the suggested re-route is currently very thick gravel and absolutely no fun to ride. I don't know if we hit it at the wrong time or not, but I thought it was worth noting."

where is this road, i've been jacking around and can't find it ... do you have anymore clues?

Thanks
I sure do....
Herring is on the Washita River in Roger Mills county about halfway between Cheyenne and Hammon. It's at the intersections of E0970 & N1950 w/coordinates of N35 36 35, W99 31 05.

The current route, and heavy gravel road I'm talking about, crosses the Washita bridge at Herring and continues south, running along the west side of Sandstone Creek until the intersection of E1040 & N1920.

Here is where the OAT originally went west through the ranch, but has been rerouted south on N1920, then D1915. We obviously did not ride this road, but I think at least part of it was gravel because I remember being relieved that we finally got off of it by heading west onto the dirt ranch road.

This area is low-lying with lots of creeks and drainages. Unlike most of the other thick gravel roads we rode which were made for the oil & gas workers, I'd bet these roads get pretty wet, hence the gravel.

The road's definitely rideable and the gravel would be appreciated during wet times, but it sucked the day we were on it.

I hope somewhere in there was the answer to your question.

EDIT: My sources of info for road names/numbers and coordinates are Garmin Basecamp w/City Navigator and a '90s version of the Delorme OK Atlas & Gazeteer.

kiltedcrawford screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 06:56 AM Reason: Additional info
Old 05-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #222
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Possible revised route

Thankfully work is slow.

For your consideration......I've drawn up a revised route from Highway 6 north of I-40 to the North Fork crossing at Quartz SP.

The main obstacle is the North Fork. Before you can cross it at Quartz, you've got to cross it at some point north of there, too, and there are only highway crossings that I could find.

For convenience, I've started it on Hwy 6 north of I-40 where the existing OAT runs. After following it south for a couple of miles, my route shoots off west and then south, crossing the North Fork for the first time on Hwy 30 just south of Mayfield. It continues on south past Erick (home of the late, great Roger Miller), runs into Sandy Sanders WMA, then meanders back east, eventually running into the existing OAT at Hwy 6 again, just west of our second North Fork crossing, the one without a bridge.

There's about 2 miles of highway to cross the river, and I'm sure some of the other roads are blacktop, but it should be mostly dirt. I've ridden the majority of it from Quartz SP to Erick, but haven't done any of it north of I-40.

I'll scout it out at my first opportunity but I think it'll work.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Hwy 6 to N Fork crossing revised.gpx (6.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #223
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Great Salt Plans...!!!

Took a family trip to the Great Salt Plans to entertain the kids and secretly scout out some things for the OAT... don't tell the wife...

anyway... I have been there a couple of times before, and it is a really cool place, it blows me away how many okies i meet that have never been there.

the detour from the route to the place you dig for crystals is at most two miles... i would highly recommend just taking a look...

This is a pic of what the Great Salt Plains looks like:

[IMG]
IMG_1161 by Okiemotorrad, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is nerd number two, getting dirty...!!!

photo by Okiemotorrad, on Flickr

These are the crystal you dig for... WERE RICH!!! well... not really and these are not the most fancy examples... but it is what we found...

IMG_1169 by Okiemotorrad, on Flickr

I have posted an update on the June ride for the eastern half of the OAT...

link

POST 2002
Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #224
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
revised by mars OAT gpx for garmin 60 csx
Attached Files
File Type: gpx oat revised.GPX (281.0 KB, 39 views)
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #225
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
revised by mars OAT gpx for garmin 60 csx

i'm at work right now, cant look at it. what changes were made?