ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #226
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I rode a section of the OAT on Saturday, starting on River Rd near the "Cool Wall", and east to highway 18 (unfortunately didn't have time to go further on the OAT, but I've actually been on that section to Frog Rock on another ride.

First off, great work on getting all this together for everyone!

What I'd like to suggest though, is a very small change/addition to the OAT, to include the Ingalls Hotel and Saloon. It only adds 5 miles to the current route, and is all gravel roads. Speaking only for myself, having some "sites" to see along the way makes it all the more interesting, and makes a ride more enjoyable - reminding me to "stop and smell the roses", so to speak.

The suggested change/addition is the section in magenta:

And here are a few shots of what there is to see:

The rest of my pictures will be posted on my "ride blog" (in my sig) soon.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #227
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 776
we will be definelty adding that to the route. 5 mile detour for a cool location with some history. thanks for the sugestion.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #228
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
i'm at work right now, cant look at it. what changes were made?
no tracklog changes except I think it is time to start a naming routine for them. I broke the western part into one tracklog and then compressed some of the large eastern tracklogs down to a size that will fit on some of the older GPS's like my 60csx. I rode part of the route near Stillwater Sunday and the tracklogs seem to be just fine after the compression.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #229
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
we will be definelty adding that to the route. 5 mile detour for a cool location with some history. thanks for the sugestion.
I agree... What a cool find!... i saw that in the okie tag thread and had meant to look it up to see where it was at... Glad he made the suggestion...

I think i'm going to have to wait until the night before the June eastern section trip, to down load all the GPX files incase the route changes any more...

Your doing a great job OKlr!!!

Way to go zekester63!!!
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #230
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Quote:
looked over kilted's sugestions and made some changes to the western section of the oat. Thanks for your work. First post of this thread has been updated with most recent revision.
I would like to suggest the following for getting around the road/bridge that doesn't exist. Instead of going north go south to go around.

Google map Link

Two reasons...

1, going north is a nasty gravel road that leads to pavement, while going south keeps you on some really fun red dirt roads, ( i checked it out this last weekend)

2, It keeps you on the orignal route which took you by what google maps calls Rock Island Park and what my Basecamp OKtopo maps call two cowboys graves.

In the spirt of the recent revelation of zekester63 i present some more Oklahoma History... on these really fun red dirt roads (not gravel) you find these strange monuments out in nowhere built in the early thirties...

Cowboy 1 by Okiemotorrad, on Flickr

Cowboy 2 by Okiemotorrad, on Flickr

Cowboy 4 by Okiemotorrad, on Flickr
Cowboy 3 by Okiemotorrad, on Flickr
Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #231
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Good suggestion Dadayama.

Keep up the good work OKlr!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #232
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

i worked on the trail a little bit last night. mainly joining short sections into longer sections to make it easer to download. rather than have 4 trails cover a 300 mile section i made it 1. i added the section at ingalls.

Mars, i downloaded your route, but wasn't able to use it last night cause i didn't have my gps plugged in to the computer.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #233
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post

The rest of my pictures will be posted on my "ride blog" (in my sig) soon.
I've posted the rest of the pictures from my ride (several from the OAT/Ingalls/etc.) on Sat. Link in my sig.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #234
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

updated the little detour at pond creek.

I'm not 100% sold on the change out on the western section though. it adds a bunch of miles to the trail, and unless it adds something cool i would like to avoid that. is there a way we could just move it a few miles and still add more dirt or gravel?
Old 06-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #235
cropear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Western Section

Speaking to the western section. From Perry up to somewhere south go the Great Salt Plains. The route is ok. the hairy crossings make up for it. But, this area is getting more limited and more treacherous just due to oilfield traffic and operations associated with the Mississippian lime play. It has more opportunity for it to suck than not suck. Roads are torn up, accommodations are going to be limited and it is just something that well may make it part of the Oklahoma Adventure trail. I myself do not need to experience much more of the oilfield as I am acquainted with it. This is one thing the OAT does well in my opinion, acquaint you. Having been on almost all of it now. I got acquainted with alot of what we have to offer and it i see the OAT as kind of a best foot forward type stance to other trails. It is not going to be as sexy as the Pacific Coast Trail or the TAT. But it is starting to become maybe something that has some teeth as a true trail that may provide a good alternative to others.
The route that me and kilted took from just east of Glass mountain and all the way into just north of Sayre when my front tire had an untimely incident was great scenery and great riding. Minus the few non crusher run gravel roads and the wind.
My downfall is deciding to ride 600 miles in 40 hours on the western OAT and not stop and take pics to validate the need for this route.
All is written in a manner not to or or (sorry getting with the smilie list) but facilitate what we got going.
cropear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #236
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Unfortunately the oilfield has taken over most of the north and western parts of Oklahoma. I'm just not sure there is any way to avoid other than if you don't like it you could always hit the nearest highway and bypass a few miles.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #237
cropear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
there are two ways like you said. and fortunately with the oil field is that there are always going to be some sort of passable road nearby.
So if the road sucks, and it might more than likely, you can then reroute. but if you are going to full embrace the oklahoma experience then you need to have this as part of the trail. and just grind through it. I think it may be harder to route around the oil field than not. and it is a decent part of the experience after you look back on it. when you are riding it. not a good experience.
cropear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #238
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Riding the Easter half ...

This is still going to happen... if anyone wants to join in, everyone is welcome, we'll be leaving about 8 am on Friday morning,,,(or meet up with us anytime on the trail).... Send me a message if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
A couple of inmates and I are going to ride the Oklahoma Adventure Trail on June 14th, 15th and 16th (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

The goal is to try and ride the eastern half of the trail, until we have to head home to go to work on Monday.

Will be camping along the way, but because i don't know where we will be at the end of the day, I can't say where… but Oklahoma has no shortage of state parks.
We will ride at a steady pace not racing, i don't think the roads will be challenging except maybe in the far eastern section…
Will probably just eat out of stores or restaurants, but you are welcome to do what ever… a person could probably even stay in a hotel and meet up in the morning…

The plan is to meet at Lake McMurtry at the campgrounds on the west side of the lake Thursday evening after work or Friday morning if you live near by. Then we will hit the section starting at Perry and work our way east.

EVERY ONE is welcome to come along…

We will ride at a steady pace not racing, i don't think the roads will be challenging except maybe in the far eastern section…

Oklahoma Adventure Trail Link

Who all is coming?

Originally posted this in the OKC Metro Thread, might want to reply there. (Post 908)

If you have any questions PM me…

Also, if you can't start on Friday, you can always meet up with us on which ever day you can.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #239
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
updated the little detour at pond creek.

I'm not 100% sold on the change out on the western section though. it adds a bunch of miles to the trail, and unless it adds something cool i would like to avoid that. is there a way we could just move it a few miles and still add more dirt or gravel?
I just got back from a long weekend away, am tired and will argue my case in another post, but the short answer is:
If you want to keep the North Fork crossing in, there's no easy way to add in more dirt.
kiltedcrawford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #240
airdale7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Riding the Eastern Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
This is still going to happen... if anyone wants to join in, everyone is welcome, we'll be leaving about 8 am on Friday morning,,,(or meet up with us anytime on the trail).... Send me a message if you have any questions.

What is your starting point Friday morning and where do you plan to camp Friday night? And Saturday night?

Still trying to work at least part into my schedule.

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote