ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #241
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post
I just got back from a long weekend away, am tired and will argue my case in another post, but the short answer is:
If you want to keep the North Fork crossing in, there's no easy way to add in more dirt.
as far as i know nobody has actually went across that crossing. i sure wouldn't do it alone because of it being sand.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #242
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale7 View Post
What is your starting point Friday morning and where do you plan to camp Friday night? And Saturday night?

Still trying to work at least part into my schedule.
The Starting point is Lake McMurtry just south of Perry Oklahoma.

We will leave at 8am in the morning on Friday, and travel as far as we can... will stop to take pictures and document the ride some...

My best guess is somewhere northeast oklahoma for friday night... and somewhere southeast for saturday night... i know that seems vague, but that is my best guess... i'll know more after we ride it...

Trying not to be overly optimistic...
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #243
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
New GPX files as of the 7th

Just a reminder... OKlr will always use the very first post for updated GPX files. So be sure to check there every now and then...

His last update was on June 7th....
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #244
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
here is a tracklog of the bypass I used for the north fork.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx northfork bypas.GPX (10.3 KB, 23 views)
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #245
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
as far as i know nobody has actually went across that crossing. i sure wouldn't do it alone because of it being sand.
The sand is deep but not dangerous, it was the rushing water that looked pretty deep that discouraged me.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #246
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
The sand is deep but not dangerous, it was the rushing water that looked pretty deep that discouraged me.

I don't blame you. I skipped it because I was alone and pretty inexperienced, but it was bone dry then. I'd try it now alone, if it were dry. Running water would change things.

I'd vote to leave it in since it's so easily rerouted if desired.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #247
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Western reroute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
updated the little detour at pond creek.

I'm not 100% sold on the change out on the western section though. it adds a bunch of miles to the trail, and unless it adds something cool i would like to avoid that. is there a way we could just move it a few miles and still add more dirt or gravel?
OK, I was wrong earlier. It looks like the route can be easily rerouted just to avoid the highway.
Starting NE of Sayre and south of I-40, at the intersection of E1170 & N1920, I'd make my way south, skirting the North Fork, to a point SW of Carter, then head east and get on Hwy 6 (and the existing OAT) at Retrop.
I have never ridden these roads so have no idea what they're like. But it wouldn't add any more miles to the route if that's important.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #248
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
I don't blame you. I skipped it because I was alone and pretty inexperienced, but it was bone dry then. I'd try it now alone, if it were dry. Running water would change things.

I'd vote to leave it in since it's so easily rerouted if desired.
I still need to ride the northwest part of the trail. Any one up for that in the near future? We need a wind from the east on the way out to the trail and a wind from the north on the way back, any one know how to make that happen?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #249
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
I still need to ride the northwest part of the trail. Any one up for that in the near future? We need a wind from the east on the way out to the trail and a wind from the north on the way back, any one know how to make that happen?
Don't think I've seen wind from the east in Oklahoma. Ever.

However for a north wind just wait about 5-7 months, fun time riding western Oklahoma then

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #250
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,932
Quote:
Wait 5 minutes before changing directions!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #251
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

A Western Okie's Plea

Firstly, the OAT is the idea and vision of OKlr and Dadayama. They put in all the work routing it, have their own goals for it and can do whatever they please with it. They've done a great job and should be commended. This post is not a criticism at all, but rather a plug for my area and small plea at the end.

As someone born, raised and living in western Oklahoma, I felt the need to address a few things:

-The current OAT is approximately 1400 miles. Of that, about 900 miles are east of I-35, and 500 miles are west of I-35. I don't really consider anything "west of I-35" to be western Oklahoma, but it'll work for this.

-From reading some reports and comments (not on this thread), I've gotten the idea that most riders think western Oklahoma is a boring place to ride. Highway-wise, I might agree, but when it comes to riding off the beaten path I'd wholeheartedly disagree.

-I've learned that to convince anyone of anything on the internet, you've got to have pictures. I thought I played up western OK pretty good in my OAT report, but, since I like to ride hard and fast and hate stopping, I am really bad at taking pictures. I'm trying to follow the paths of good reporters like Airdale, Zekester and Mars, to name a few from the OAT, but it's just so damn hard to stop and do it.

-I'm new to this game, and I understand that most motorcyclists like riding hills and twisties, but isn't there more to it than that, particularly for ADVers?
The flat dirt roads from Quartz to the Wichitas allow you to run just as fast as your brains and balls will allow, all the while giving you views of one of the oldest mountain chains in the world......with hardly anyone else around.

I've only been through Camargo twice, both times following this trail, and I think that area's probably the prettiest in Oklahoma. It's harsh and rugged, but cruising along those awesome, almost single lane ranch roads you feel completely cut off from the rest of the world. There are plenty of ups and downs and twists and turns, too, and in the high spots you feel as if you can see from Mexico to Canada and the Rockies to the Appalachians.

Riding through a wind farm wasn't the most exciting thing I've ever done, but it was pretty damn cool. It's not something most people do every day.

These things just can't be done in eastern Oklahoma.

-Things like sandy river crossings, appallingly rutted roads, closed bridges and new heavily graveled roads all add to the Adventure part of this trail. Sure, they suck at the time, but they're what earn you that beer in the evening and provide the best memories and stories.

Western Oklahoma is different and unfamiliar to most Oklahomans. It's hard, unforgiving, vast, open and desolate. The tallest buildings by far are grain elevators. There aren't many neat quirky things like Frog Rock out here; frivolity is not part of western Oklahoma's culture. There's plenty of history and culture though, from the buffalo in the Wichitas, to the story of the Babbs Switch School Fire, the Roger Miller Museum in Erick and all the Route 66 stuff, and all the Indian Wars sites like the Washita NP.

That said, it's not for everyone. If you only see beauty in claustrophobic roads through tree covered hills then you won't like it.
If you like encountering lots of people during your rides then you won't like it.
If it's got to be easy, then you won't like it.
But, if you're open to looking at "pretty" in a different way, and learn to accept the fact that riding in a straight line for a while can be OK, then you might like it.
If the thought of riding a lonely road that lets you think, just for a few moments, that you're in the middle of a gorgeous nowhere and there's not a soul around for miles, then you might like it.
If smooth and gentle is getting boring and you need a change, you might like it.
And, I'll be honest, if you like strong winds, you'll just love it.

So, for my plea, as a western Okie and someone who's spent a little time on this Trail, consider adding miles to the western OAT, or, if nothing else, don't take any away.

Now, I think I need a beer......

kc
Old 06-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #252
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Firstly, the OAT is the idea and vision of OKlr and Dadayama. They put in all the work routing it, have their own goals for it and can do whatever they please with it. They've done a great job and should be commended. This post is not a criticism at all, but rather a plug for my area and small plea at the end.

As someone born, raised and living in western Oklahoma, I felt the need to address a few things:

-The current OAT is approximately 1400 miles. Of that, about 900 miles are east of I-35, and 500 miles are west of I-35. I don't really consider anything "west of I-35" to be western Oklahoma, but it'll work for this.

-From reading some reports and comments (not on this thread), I've gotten the idea that most riders think western Oklahoma is a boring place to ride. Highway-wise, I might agree, but when it comes to riding off the beaten path I'd wholeheartedly disagree.

-I've learned that to convince anyone of anything on the internet, you've got to have pictures. I thought I played up western OK pretty good in my OAT report, but, since I like to ride hard and fast and hate stopping, I am really bad at taking pictures. I'm trying to follow the paths of good reporters like Airdale, Zekester and Mars, to name a few from the OAT, but it's just so damn hard to stop and do it.

-I'm new to this game, and I understand that most motorcyclists like riding hills and twisties, but isn't there more to it than that, particularly for ADVers?
The flat dirt roads from Quartz to the Wichitas allow you to run just as fast as your brains and balls will allow, all the while giving you views of one of the oldest mountain chains in the world......with hardly anyone else around.

I've only been through Camargo twice, both times following this trail, and I think that area's probably the prettiest in Oklahoma. It's harsh and rugged, but cruising along those awesome, almost single lane ranch roads you feel completely cut off from the rest of the world. There are plenty of ups and downs and twists and turns, too, and in the high spots you feel as if you can see from Mexico to Canada and the Rockies to the Appalachians.

Riding through a wind farm wasn't the most exciting thing I've ever done, but it was pretty damn cool. It's not something most people do every day.

These things just can't be done in eastern Oklahoma.

-Things like sandy river crossings, appallingly rutted roads, closed bridges and new heavily graveled roads all add to the Adventure part of this trail. Sure, they suck at the time, but they're what earn you that beer in the evening and provide the best memories and stories.

Western Oklahoma is different and unfamiliar to most Oklahomans. It's hard, unforgiving, vast, open and desolate. The tallest buildings by far are grain elevators. There aren't many neat quirky things like Frog Rock out here; frivolity is not part of western Oklahoma's culture. There's plenty of history and culture though, from the buffalo in the Wichitas, to the story of the Babbs Switch School Fire, the Roger Miller Museum in Erick and all the Route 66 stuff, and all the Indian Wars sites like the Washita NP.

That said, it's not for everyone. If you only see beauty in claustrophobic roads through tree covered hills then you won't like it.
If you like encountering lots of people during your rides then you won't like it.
If it's got to be easy, then you won't like it.
But, if you're open to looking at "pretty" in a different way, and learn to accept the fact that riding in a straight line for a while can be OK, then you might like it.
If the thought of riding a lonely road that lets you think, just for a few moments, that you're in the middle of a gorgeous nowhere and there's not a soul around for miles, then you might like it.
If smooth and gentle is getting boring and you need a change, you might like it.
And, I'll be honest, if you like strong winds, you'll just love it.

So, for my plea, as a western Okie and someone who's spent a little time on this Trail, consider adding miles to the western OAT, or, if nothing else, don't take any away.

Now, I think I need a beer......

kc
does this mean you are available as a tour guide? I would love to have you show me the unknown gems of western ok
Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #253
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
does this mean you are available as a tour guide? I would love to have you show me the unknown gems of western ok
Well, I've only been riding a year so I haven't discovered everything yet. The route you rode from the Quartz to Wichita Mts. is pretty good. The area south of there, where I live, can be fun but there's not a lot to draw someone. North and west of Quartz I've ridden some, but can't say I know it well. Most of what I've ridden has been on the OAT.

Having said that, I'd be more than willing to act as tour guide....but we both may be discovering the unknown gems at the same time.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #254
cropear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
X2 on road that trees hang down just waiting to strangle you. (claustrophobic roads)
X2++ on Camargo and the girl that you buy gas from (@)(@). She was way underdressed for western oklahoma.
X2 on we need to take more pictures.
cropear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #255
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,932
Kiltedcrawford--While riding the TAT, I considered the area near the Cowboy Cemantary most awesome!!!
So for years, I've been working on a "western swing "ride!!
I-35 to Black Mesa via back roads!
Do it in the summer and call it "The Fried Okie Run "
(Sorta the opposite of tje "Dual Sport from Hell " done in winter "
What do.you think??? Ideas?!? Thoughts???
Anyone interested????