ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #286
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 745
Changed the route some in the se section to avoid the closed gate, include the east half of the k trail.

View Larger Map
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #287
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
Is that reflected in the GPX file. I am thinking about another round of OAT next week. I am shooting for 300 miles a day starting in Talihina. Will ride to Talihina and get a room for 40 dollars (air conditioning) then try to make it as close to Durant as possible the next day, then on to Elk City the next and finally to I-35 the. I will be staying in hotel's as I have found summer camping in Oklahoma to be way beyond my comfort level.
I will be traveling alone to increase the pace.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #288
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
Yeah, we know, you are trolling for company, lol
Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #289
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

yes gpx file in first post has been updated. If you look at the file, there is a road leading southeast along the highway. That road should be a simple well maintained gravel road, and it can be bypassed by hitting the highway there near the k trail. None of those roads have been scouted yet. When you get done, make a ride report probably in the day tripping section and i will link it to the first post.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #290
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Hey guys, I know you mentioned the word "subjective" when we were discussing if the route could be handled easily by larger bikes (R1150R), but is it more a matter of just a larger bike on non-pavement, or would some more aggressive tread than Michelin Roads be that much better? I have been over places where I did feel the need to stand, and the bike had more of a mind of its own than pavement, lol...is off-pavement a small percentage of this route or fairly good chunk? I need some days off, dangit.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #291
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Hey guys, I know you mentioned the word "subjective" when we were discussing if the route could be handled easily by larger bikes (R1150R), but is it more a matter of just a larger bike on non-pavement, or would some more aggressive tread than Michelin Roads be that much better? I have been over places where I did feel the need to stand, and the bike had more of a mind of its own than pavement, lol...is off-pavement a small percentage of this route or fairly good chunk? I need some days off, dangit.

Most of the route is not on paved roads. Each person has a different comfort level. Tires play a big part in that confidence.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #292
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Lot of riders stand a lot. Others not so much. A few places we rode last week almost everyone was standing I think. But for the most part you can sit and street tires will work just fine. Almost all the OAT except the K-trail section can be done fairly easily on street tires on a "big bike". According to me

It really depends on when the last maintenance was done on the road, new, deep gravel, old gravel recently stirred up by a grader. You never really know until you get there.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #293
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

I've been thinking of getting some different tread design for a trip up to Nevada, want to snoop some dirt roads up there around Rachel and Tonopah, so may do that earlier than later in order to get some OAT riding in.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #294
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Big Bikes Beware

Quote:
FYI, there is about a mile of road west of Hugo that, in my opinion, would be extremely tough on a big bike. It's unmaintained and, when we were there, only had a faint trail through it. There were several washes that locals had put some timber in to be crossable.

It's on CR 4110 between Hwy 109 and Soper on Hwy 70. From where it intersects with Hwy 109, 4110 goes straight north, then turns back east. It's this last mile before it turns east that I'm talking about. The coordinates for the north end of this mile are N 33 57' 37.6", W 95 42' 44.6".

If memory serves, the road was a typical county road for the area, then pretty abruptly turned to unmaintained shit trail. I don't remember there being another option other than turning around.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #295
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Sounds like I need to hurry up and get a DR or DRZ, lol
Old 06-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #296
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Lot of riders stand a lot. Others not so much. A few places we rode last week almost everyone was standing I think. But for the most part you can sit and street tires will work just fine. Almost all the OAT except the K-trail section can be done fairly easily on street tires on a "big bike". According to me

It really depends on when the last maintenance was done on the road, new, deep gravel, old gravel recently stirred up by a grader. You never really know until you get there.

I am still trying to discypher your post? Are you telling folks to not stand while riding their bikes? Your posts are consistently vague with double meanings, maybe you are channeling us, them or they?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #297
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Graffiti Wall on river road

Received these cryptic images from graffiti wall on river road... appears OAT has appeared on the wall...

Hmmmmmmm

[IMG]
20130619_193707 by Okiemotorrad, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hmmmmmmmmm don't know any thing about it...........

[IMG]
20130619_193810 by Okiemotorrad, on Flickr[/IMG]
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #298
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

its as if you just rode by and it apeared. creepy.

Also i've been meaning to call you. want to hear firsthand how things went.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #299
mars
Starbucks anyone?

I just compiled a best of OAT into one GPX file that is 598 miles long.

The trail starts east of Claremore and ends west of Durant.
Right after you turn off highway 20 west of Claremore you will start a very scenic road east of Salina. The first water crossing you come to starts the property of a Mr. Shoe. Fixator and I met Mr. Shoe who's full name is Hot Shoe. We talked for a minute and I think I could even call him an acquaintance and maybe refer to him as Hot. Hot recommended that we look him up as he was almost famous and sure enough he has a web presence and a custom bike shop in Salina, or Locust Grove or some where near this area. I was especially impressed with his list of friends seen at the bottom of the picture.

Mr. Shoe or Hot as I get to call him invited any of us to camp at his property, any time. I think it sounds like a great weekend trip some time. Perhaps Hot will show up with one of his friends or custom bikes. By the way he was riding an old CB750 Honda on the OAT for a morning ride when we saw him. It was complete with street tires and he was barreling down the dirt road when we met him.
I have carefully marked three distinct technical areas. The northern one is the Freeman Hole large gravel area (cat head size gravel) This is the water crossing right after Freemans Hole.

Then the K-Trail area. The old oat shows the K-Trail continuing to Clayton. That would be a great ride but would take most of a day for me. Here is some of the surface of the K-Trail eastern part.

I will have to say it looks worse in person.
The third area is a short but fun technical area around Crooked Creek West and a little South of Hugo. Lots of big ruts like this one.

and some real dodgy makeshift bridges like this one.

That is a bike swallowing black hole to the left.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx bestof oat july 2013.GPX (1.19 MB, 69 views)

mars screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 09:39 PM
Old 07-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #300
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
can't seem to find GPX file for your best of OAT?
it is there now, I didn't see the upload error that the file was too big. I fixed it!