ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #346
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
Attachment 314712
There needs to be some re routing around the Davis area
Ok...looking at the maps... i think you found that bridge on Greasy Bend Rd. If so that was from an older route and has been rerouted as of July 10th.
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #347
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
Ok...looking at the maps... i think you found that bridge on Greasy Bend Rd. If so that was from an older route and has been rerouted as of July 10th.
There you go, I haven't reloaded my GPS since June. It was pretty easy to bypass by back tracking to the South a bit. I did look at another neat road in the area that led to the Washita river and a missing bridge. It isn't every day you see an old one lane cement road.
This was a very fast area for me. Moving average was around 48 mph even with the fooling around at the bridge. It seems the route should include the Turner Falls over look and swimming area since most of us will be riding this in the heat. Stopping for a swim in cool water would have made the day much easier.
I ended up doing over 500 miles today including a 2 hour stop to eat at Meers.
I guess the covered bridge was south of Davis. There was a train stopped on the track and it looks like a common occurrence because this is a passing area for trains. I ended up driving into Davis on the east side of the river. I back tracked from Davis a bit to pick up the trail.
The heat was pretty brutal and I think it is still too hot to ride these roads in comfort. The riding this morning was great until about 11:00 a.m.
All I have left is the NW section from I-40 to I-35
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #348
mars
Starbucks anyone?

It looks like the new route does drive by turner falls and looks much better.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #349
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

500 miles is friggin hardcore!!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #350
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
500 miles is friggin hardcore!!!!
I kept my nose down and riding most of the day but was back at my house by 5. Keeping a 45 mph plus average is what made it happen. I didn't stop much either. I don't like to ride much over 10 hours per day unless I get an early start like today.
Another thing I like are ear plugs. I think they reduce fatigue a lot. With 57 hundred miles on the drz since April the foam in the seat is starting to give way so that is a limiting factor. I am even looking at a small rally fairing called the lynx. They also make some nice stuff for the BMW 600/800 bikes. Britannia Composites is the company.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #351
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
I kept my nose down and riding most of the day but was back at my house by 5. Keeping a 45 mph plus average is what made it happen. I didn't stop much either. I don't like to ride much over 10 hours per day unless I get an early start like today.
Another thing I like are ear plugs. I think they reduce fatigue a lot. With 57 hundred miles on the drz since April the foam in the seat is starting to give way so that is a limiting factor. I am even looking at a small rally fairing called the lynx. They also make some nice stuff for the BMW 600/800 bikes. Britannia Composites is the company.
if you order from britannia it will show a crazy amount of tax, untill you enter your usa address and it goes away. I had a gel seat on my drz. it helped alot, but not as much as something from like seat concepts.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #352
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
if you order from britannia it will show a crazy amount of tax, untill you enter your usa address and it goes away. I had a gel seat on my drz. it helped alot, but not as much as something from like seat concepts.
I am leaning towards the Renazco seat.
on another subject, the US Grand Prix is today from Leguna Seca. I will be watching it live online but it is also on one of the cable channels too, I believe. The usual suspects are both hamstrung with broken collar bones and the front row is filled with newcomers. This ought to be a great race. starts at 4:00 online or 1600 according to MotoGP.com. Pedrosa and Lorenzo are both in the back of the pack for the start. This ought to be the best race of the season. It looks like the Honda's have the advantage like they had in Austin.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #353
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Another thing I like are ear plugs. I think they reduce fatigue a lot.
My ears are crap following years of abuse and stupidity. The constant tinnitus sucks. I had been looking for something better than standard foam ear plugs for a while and on the advice of the ADV crowd found these: http://www.earplugsonline.com/

Got to say I love them. Super quiet and all day comfortable. And you are right...they cut the fatigue by a massive degree.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #354
mars
Starbucks anyone?

I do think it is time to start thinking about the first ever OAT rally. It will start small and could be done with a minimum crew and we should gear it toward 5 to 10 entries just to get the system ready. If it is done again we could open it up. I want this to be a rally that any one can ride in with a dual sport bike. I am adamant about this not being an exclusive event for advanced riders.
I have coordinated rallies before and it doesn't have to be complicated.
I bet we could get a local cycle shop to pay for the awards and make the first one free for the entrants. That would un complicate any issues with the authorities. I have been in that seat and it can get ugly quick.
It could be based, start and end in of Talihina. The route could transit on 271 north out of Talihina to Wister to pick up the OAT. Travel the route south to 1 then lunch for two hours in Talihina, in a Park Ferme for the locals to see the bikes.
In the afternoon pickup the southern part then ride the first section of the K trail that is not difficult. There is a road heading north from the K trail a few miles into it. It is all doable by anything up to a 1200 gs. The one technical area is the Freeman Hole section. A crew would need to be there for any emergencies. Fixator loved this stretch on his 1200 GS and did give him a challenge. First checkpoint (two people with a truck) at the Freeman Hole water crossing.
The second check point (two people) on highway 1 for the end of the first section and then re start at the same place after lunch. A crew at the start and end in Talihina. One other checkpoint on the K trail at the end would be good.
That would give a need of 11 people. Two for each checkpoint and two for a sweep team (the best job of all). Perhaps I can find some real rally vehicles for the rally HQ in Talihina to give the locals something to ogle over and give the folks in town an idea what rally is.
Each rider will be given a rally card before, they would have a start and stop time for the first stage, a fixed time of two hours for lunch from the end of the first stage and then a start for the second stage at the same location. the second stage could end on the K trail. I bet the Chamber of Commerce in Talihina would be all over this.
After looking at the map, this area is perfect. There is a great road that runs right down the middle for any emergencies and quick access to the trails. Talihina is a bit of tourist town with some fun shops for any family members who want to attend.
This will not be the first rodeo for me I was very involved with the Idaho Rally and they still have me listed as one of the directors.
http://www.idahorally.com/staff.html
I have also ridden in a number of rallies and understand the process inside and out.
This is me in the Mount Hood Rally riding my 640 Adventure, I was seeded right next to Jim Hyde of Raw Hyde Adventures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etnQjYxgiQQ
This is why all the people were at this turn. It was very slippery silt with a hard pack underneath.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZylBR95ZE
My number one rally rule is the sight of a crowd equals a good squeeze on the brakes. I remember the top of the hill exiting this turn was 75 mph and about the same at the crest of the entrance.
Scoring would be based on the closest time to the perfect time calculated by the rally. Having ridden this area and with an average 38 mph I would cut that in half for the perfect time. Riders who arrive at checkpoints earlier than the perfect time would receive penalty points and the same for those who are late. There would be a one minute window to arrive without penalty. Transits would be the same. At the end of the day the one with the most perfect time will be the winner. Believe me not every one will have a perfect time. Riders will be expected to calculate the arriving times at all checkpoints. That is where most penalty points come from. Using a perfect time geared towards riding the speed limit makes this a salable commodity for the local authorities.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #355
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
There you go, I haven't reloaded my GPS since June. It was pretty easy to bypass by back tracking to the South a bit. I did look at another neat road in the area that led to the Washita river and a missing bridge. It isn't every day you see an old one lane cement road.
This was a very fast area for me. Moving average was around 48 mph even with the fooling around at the bridge. It seems the route should include the Turner Falls over look and swimming area since most of us will be riding this in the heat. Stopping for a swim in cool water would have made the day much easier.
I ended up doing over 500 miles today including a 2 hour stop to eat at Meers.
I guess the covered bridge was south of Davis. There was a train stopped on the track and it looks like a common occurrence because this is a passing area for trains. I ended up driving into Davis on the east side of the river. I back tracked from Davis a bit to pick up the trail.
The heat was pretty brutal and I think it is still too hot to ride these roads in comfort. The riding this morning was great until about 11:00 a.m.
All I have left is the NW section from I-40 to I-35
That's a day of riding! 500 miles, including a 2 hour Meers stop.
Good work.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #356
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post
That's a day of riding! 500 miles, including a 2 hour Meers stop.
Good work.
like I said, nose was down. I was on the speed limit for the highways but it was a 55 to 70 mph off road. I arrived in Meers at 2 pm with a little over 400 on the odo.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #357
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Quote:
I do think it is time to start thinking about the first ever OAT rally. It will start small and could be done with a minimum crew and we should gear it toward 5 to 10 entries just to get the system ready. If it is done again we could open it up. I want this to be a rally that any one can ride in with a dual sport bike. I am adamant about this not being an exclusive event for advanced riders.
I have coordinated rallies before and it doesn't have to be complicated.
I bet we could get a local cycle shop to pay for the awards and make the first one free for the entrants. That would un complicate any issues with the authorities. I have been in that seat and it can get ugly quick.
It could be based, start and end in of Talihina. The route could transit on 271 north out of Talihina to Wister to pick up the OAT. Travel the route south to 1 then lunch for two hours in Talihina, in a Park Ferme for the locals to see the bikes.
In the afternoon pickup the southern part then ride the first section of the K trail that is not difficult. There is a road heading north from the K trail a few miles into it. It is all doable by anything up to a 1200 gs. The one technical area is the Freeman Hole section. A crew would need to be there for any emergencies. Fixator loved this stretch on his 1200 GS and did give him a challenge. First checkpoint (two people with a truck) at the Freeman Hole water crossing.
The second check point (two people) on highway 1 for the end of the first section and then re start at the same place after lunch. A crew at the start and end in Talihina. One other checkpoint on the K trail at the end would be good.
That would give a need of 11 people. Two for each checkpoint and two for a sweep team (the best job of all). Perhaps I can find some real rally vehicles for the rally HQ in Talihina to give the locals something to ogle over and give the folks in town an idea what rally is.
Each rider will be given a rally card before, they would have a start and stop time for the first stage, a fixed time of two hours for lunch from the end of the first stage and then a start for the second stage at the same location. the second stage could end on the K trail. I bet the Chamber of Commerce in Talihina would be all over this.
After looking at the map, this area is perfect. There is a great road that runs right down the middle for any emergencies and quick access to the trails. Talihina is a bit of tourist town with some fun shops for any family members who want to attend.
This will not be the first rodeo for me I was very involved with the Idaho Rally and they still have me listed as one of the directors.
http://www.idahorally.com/staff.html
I have also ridden in a number of rallies and understand the process inside and out.
This is me in the Mount Hood Rally riding my 640 Adventure, I was seeded right next to Jim Hyde of Raw Hyde Adventures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etnQjYxgiQQ
This is why all the people were at this turn. It was very slippery silt with a hard pack underneath.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZylBR95ZE
My number one rally rule is the sight of a crowd equals a good squeeze on the brakes. I remember the top of the hill exiting this turn was 75 mph and about the same at the crest of the entrance.
Scoring would be based on the closest time to the perfect time calculated by the rally. Having ridden this area and with an average 38 mph I would cut that in half for the perfect time. Riders who arrive at checkpoints earlier than the perfect time would receive penalty points and the same for those who are late. There would be a one minute window to arrive without penalty. Transits would be the same. At the end of the day the one with the most perfect time will be the winner. Believe me not every one will have a perfect time. Riders will be expected to calculate the arriving times at all checkpoints. That is where most penalty points come from. Using a perfect time geared towards riding the speed limit makes this a salable commodity for the local authorities.
Hey Mars

I've alway known there was a real rally but have never really understood what they were. For the most part i know of a "Rally" to be something like SLAP. I looked it up in Wikipedia and not entirely sure i understand. But what i'm guessing, it is a race of some sort?

So honestly i plead ignorance.

Not sure who you would want involved, not sure how that works... (do you have to have insurance and such?) but i wonder if you shouldn't post in the regional area to attract more folks who may have experience with such things.

So if you can give a better explanation then Wikipedia, i really would like to know exactly what a rally is.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #358
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Hey Mars

I've alway known there was a real rally but have never really understood what they were. For the most part i know of a "Rally" to be something like SLAP. I looked it up in Wikipedia and not entirely sure i understand. But what i'm guessing, it is a race of some sort?

Not sure who you would want involved, not sure how that works... (do you have to have insurance and such?) but i wonder if you shouldn't post in the regional area to attract more folks who may have experience with such things.

So if you can give a better explanation then Wikipedia, i really would like to know exactly what a rally is.
There are different kinds of Rally and basically Rally means "to find the way" in French. What we ran mostly in the Northwest was Rally Raid. That contains timed transits and special stages where you were scored on your speed. A real Rally Raid should have tough navigation sections like we did in the Nevada Rally Experience. The Mount Hood Rally gave you a road book to use for the navigation of the many transits, that's where many of the penalties occurred. We could introduce some of that but I want to make this an easy rally for any one and to get a team together for future events.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #359
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Just to get you guys in the rally mood. This is from 2006, my first time to work as a race official for Scot Hardin. This is from Caliente Nevada where the Nevada Rally Experience was based.
Great picture of Bignfnuts and his ill fated first Dakar event. Can't find his report any more?

The late Elmer Symons who we lost in 2007 in Dakar competition was there to in addition to Kellon Walch and the unfortunate Chris Blaise who finished 3rd in 2007 and was in a wheelchair by the next year.
Here is ADV rider ignoramos who I found about 1:00 am in the morning stranded on the trail.

This is my old friend Chris Robins, we were getting ready for the pre ride on 07 for the last NRE.

Great times out scouting and pre riding the event.

here is registraton where we loaded rider GPS with a skeleton GPS route and they navigated mainly by route book. Much more challenging and much like the Dakar.

The speed channel did a doc on the whole even, I never got to see it.
Here is how we staged the checkpoints, I think this was more fun than riding the event. Visiting will all of the riders and kicking back for a day of relaxation. I remember when the ADV rider Seth came thru riders were supposed to give me their names and I would write the time on their cards. His number was 6 and he kept saying what I thought was 6 but really was Seth. This kept going on until we were about at each other throats then I realized what was going on. We had a great laugh about this later.

Being around a bunch of factory prepared rally bikes was always nice, I got to ride Kellon Walch's factory 620 for about 10 miles and the experience and handling of the bike is still with me and gives me a standard to judge adventure bikes.

There was one 1200 GS who insisted on riding the event and here he is struggling thru a river bottom. Both of the crash bars were permanently pasted back over the cylinder heads after the event. Not a good choice of bike for this kind of riding.

This was the bivouac during the evening road book briefing in French of course. That really added some challenge to the event.

Here is a picture of Scot Harden and Casey Folks.

Scot became a very good and is still a great friend who actually spent time trying to make me a better rider. He is the fastest rider I have every riden with.
Here is a link to his page with the motorcycle hall of fame. Severa ISDE victories in addition to over victories in the Baja 1000 and many Dakar rides even into his 40's.
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/hall...px?RacerID=404
This is from the Mount Hood Rally in 2011 I think

one of the toughest jobs in rally, the exhaustive search for the right trophy girls for the awards ceremony. That is my 640 being blessed.

Then there was the Idaho Rally, this was about 2 miles from my driveway. We used it for a timing stage before the event.

Here is my very good friend Dennis Boone hitting this speed bump at a buck and some change on a long straight.

I just wanted to let you guys know my experience in Rally is pretty extensive and I think we are is prime for something like this.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #360
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Hey Mars

I am looking for folks from this area because the team needs to be locally oriented, just from my experience.
I do not think you need much insurance on a free organized ride like this, of course if folks want to pick this apart with nit noids feel free.
I would probably try to get a local club with a 501 c3 and if we require an AMA pro license that would cover most of the liability. The AMA license is 20 some dollars and can be obtained at the event. They do not require any racing experience to get the license.