ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #421
durtrider
adventure sow

Oddometer: 668
NW leg

Friday afternoon my riding buddy Jon and I rode out from the Piedmont area headed for the NW section of the OAT.

We rode dirt and gravel roads all the way to Canton before we got rooms at the Canton Motel. I had a minor little "git off" when I hit some deep sugar sand that caught me off guard. Note to self: "don't let off the gas in the deep stuff". I got it picked up and motored off. Sorry, no pics. I never could understand how someone takes the time to take a shot of a bike lying on the ground. To me, it upsets the natural order of things. I hate seeing a bike on its side... I have to get it back upright ASAP.

On the way there we ran into the only mudhole in the county! This car was high-centered, stuck and abandoned.

We got around it though.

Some of the views are really cool.

I've lived here all my life and I never knew about the Great Salt Plains!

This was my second ride on the OAT. When it gets cooler it's gonna be even better!

durtrider screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 07:28 PM
durtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #422
durtrider
adventure sow

Oddometer: 668
pics

Bill tells me my pics aren't showing up...only my dropbox folder. When I look, I can see them. Can anyone else see them?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #423
FatBob
The name says it all

Oddometer: 454
Nope

Ride Safe, Ride Often
FatBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #424
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,912
I see photo place holders but no pictures.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #425
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 281
Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
If anyone you are interested in purchasing an OAT sticker at this time. You can go to the link below and order them. I do not know how the quality will be untill it sits on the bike longer.
The thing about MAKESTICKERS.COM stickers is that they are not meant to last a long time like company promotional stickers. They are printed with moderately long lasting inks on a substrate that is pretty robust.
The big issue is that they don't have a protective Mylar layer like company promotional stickers.
Ink technology has come a long way in the last 20 years. It is driven by the fine art community who want long lasting digital fine art prints. The ink color also determines life. Blues and blacks last a long time, reds and yellows not so much. These long life inks are very expensive so it's hard to tell what MAKESTICJERS.COM uses.
The result of all this is that the stickers may fade and even get worn out when you wash you bike.
The big advantage of MAKESTICKERS.COM is that you can order just a few for a VERY reasonable price. In fact we couldn't find any Arctic Circle stickers on our ride last month so I just ordered 25 oval stickers of our design using their template. With only four riders we can each have a bunch and when one wears out we can slap on another. You just can't beat that.

IMHO, I'd say go with the MAKESTICKERS.COM for a while and then when demand picks up go all out with a big order of more durable stickers.

The OAT design is stellar. I'm sure that any rider who sees this sticker is going to want one.
I don't know how many dirt miles I have left in this old body but I want to ride enough of OAT to earn a sticker.

When it's time to go to more durable stickers you may want to try the company where we get our 3BR Powersports stickers -TEC Color Craft in La Verne, CA.
www.teccolorcraft.com
They are a great bunch of folks to work with and their prices are competitive.
Cheers,
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #426
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtrider View Post
Friday afternoon my riding buddy Jon and I rode out from the Piedmont area headed for the NW section of the OAT.

We rode dirt and gravel roads all the way to Canton before we got rooms at the Canton Motel. I had a minor little "git off" when I hit some deep sugar sand that caught me off guard. Note to self: "don't let off the gas in the deep stuff". I got it picked up and motored off. Sorry, no pics. I never could understand how someone takes the time to take a shot of a bike lying on the ground. To me, it upsets the natural order of things. I hate seeing a bike on its side... I have to get it back upright ASAP.

On the way there we ran into the only mudhole in the county! This car was high-centered, stuck and abandoned.

This was my second ride on the OAT. When it gets cooler it's gonna be even better!
Nice mud hole!

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #427
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
I see the pics

Hey Durtrider...

I see the pics... AWSOME!!!!!!!
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #428
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Good stuff.
Nice Dakar.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #429
Spektrum84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I've actually finished reading the entire thread and I'm itching to ride some of this on my F800GS. More specifically the Dewey to Salina leg as my first attempt. I'm pretty green when it comes to rough terrain. Are there any sections of this leg I should be aware of? I had thought about bringing some camping gear and returning home the next day. It's suppose to cool off a few degrees this weekend :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Spektrum84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #430
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

There is only one little stretch that goes through an open range area that might be rutted up a bit. That is not that big of a deal, you'll just go a little slower. Have fun and let us know how it goes!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #431
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum84 View Post
I've actually finished reading the entire thread and I'm itching to ride some of this on my F800GS. More specifically the Dewey to Salina leg as my first attempt. I'm pretty green when it comes to rough terrain. Are there any sections of this leg I should be aware of? I had thought about bringing some camping gear and returning home the next day. It's suppose to cool off a few degrees this weekend :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
I believe the only section of the trail that is rough is in se oklahoma. Remember thought that your riding your ride and you can always bail out for a paved road, go around, or avoid anything that you don't feel comfortable doing. Good luck on the ride and take lots of pictures.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #432
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
I believe the only section of the trail that is rough is in se oklahoma. Remember "you can always bail out for a paved road, go around, or avoid anything that you don't feel comfortable doing".
I don't know how the OAT trail runs in S.E. Okla. but I have found there is NO bail out or go around on the trails we ride around Clayton.
When the new riders with us finally decide it's to "hard core" it's to late. The only bail out is to turn around.
There's not many get off's on the K trail. Any trail that crosses the K trail is just like (just as hard) the K trail.
The trails we ride out of Clayton Lake State Park start out rough, that's where the riders need to decide if they want to proceed.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #433
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
I don't know how the OAT trail runs in S.E. Okla. but I have found there is NO bail out or go around on the trails we ride around Clayton.
When the new riders with us finally decide it's to "hard core" it's to late. The only bail out is to turn around.
There's not many get off's on the K trail. Any trail that crosses the K trail is just like (just as hard) the K trail.
The trails we ride out of Clayton Lake State Park start out rough, that's where the riders need to decide if they want to proceed.
There is something to this, don't know about the section east of 259 but west of 259 last year there was a little bit of the K-trail that could be challenging to some. And riding the OAT clockwise as it was originally conceived you are a fair distance west of 259 on the K-trail before you come to the "hard-core" portion. If you look at the descriptions of the track sections the K-trail section is named as "Advanced 50 miles to fuel".

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that anyone riding the OAT will have read enough ride reports and comments in the two OAT threads to know they need to think about their personal comfort zone before riding any of the OAT and find alternate routes for sections they are not comfortable tackling. The K-trail is easily bypassed by simply riding Hwy 259 from Hwy 63 to Smithville, that section of 259 is labeled as "Bypass Fuel/Store".

I would really hate for a novice rider to get stuck or hurt and stuck out on the K-trail (or anywhere on the OAT) but I also am not in favor of cutting that section completely out of the OAT unless it becomes a gated trail as some rumors say it is becoming. Maybe some stronger K-trail warnings in the first posts of both threads? The warnings are already in place if we just read, but also I understand how those could be overlooked.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #434
Spektrum84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Dewey to Salina

I rode the Dewey to Salina leg today. Over all a great ride! There are two places that need to be updated:
First one is where a short gravel detour road has been closed and it doesn't look like it's going to be opened up anytime soon. Google maps has it labeled D0115 Rd. but I can assure you there is no access to it:
IMAG0055

The second isn't much further. Ew 15 Rd as it's labeled on google maps or E015 Rd on my Garmin ends in what I'm 90% certain is someone hay field/pasture:
IMAG0056

I did ride through it as E015 didn't have a "ROAD CLOSED" sign. The road did exist at one point between the two barbed wire fence lines.
IMAG0067

I turned around for a short detour as I saw the "had been" road led strait to a big pipe fence. At first I thought about following the fence line but decided against it as I may have already been on someone's property. I back tracked back to 419 Rd and headed south to the next road headed east, E160 Rd. This was good because it would like me know where the exit was of the hay field ride. Just a little ways down it meets N421 Rd, which should have been open, but it was easy to see a big iron cattle fence about 800 ft north of the intersection.

It was fun riding through it, until I heard something metallic scrape my bash plate. I had run over some barbed wire. It was laying down in the hay as it had been tied to a metal fence post as a makeshift gate for someone. I guess they had forgotten to put it back up.

Spektrum84 screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 07:23 PM
Spektrum84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #435
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum84 View Post
I rode the Dewey to Salina leg today. Over all a great ride! There are two places that need to be updated:
First one is where a short gravel detour road has been closed and it doesn't look like it's going to be opened up anytime soon. Google maps has it labeled D0115 Rd. but I can assure you there is no access to it:

The second isn't much further. Ew 15 Rd as it's labeled on google maps or E015 Rd on my Garmin ends in what I'm 90% certain is someone hay field/pasture:

I did ride through it as E015 didn't have a "ROAD CLOSED" sign. The road did exist at one point between the two barbed wire fence lines.

I turned around for a short detour as I saw the "had been" road led strait to a big pipe fence. At first I thought about following the fence line but decided against it as I may have already been on someone's property. I back tracked back to 419 Rd and headed south to the next road headed east, E160 Rd. This was good because it would like me know where the exit was of the hay field ride. Just a little ways down it meets N421 Rd, which should have been open, but it was easy to see a big iron cattle fence about 800 ft north of the intersection.

It was fun riding through it, until I heard something metallic scrape my bash plate. I had run over some barbed wire. It was laying down in the hay as it had been tied to a metal fence post as a makeshift gate for someone. I guess they had forgotten to put it back up.
I have rerouted per your suggestions... looking at google maps, satellite view i think you are right.. i'll send the reroutes to OKlr for final approval...

Thanks man... hope you had fun.