User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
r1200gsa83 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Klim Caldera Gloves Vs Others

I'm fairly new to winter riding, I've had my bike for about 18 months but this is the first season that I feel the call of the road in the rain and cold and my summer gloves just don't cut it!

I have a Klim Badlands jacket and pants, I've been impressed with their quality and was initially drawn to their glove offerings. Has anyone here used any of their waterproof gloves that could give feedback? Waterproof is a must but I'm more interested in feel than warmth as it doesn't get below 45 here in Oregon very often.
r1200gsa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Urbandrag
KLiM Beotch!

Oddometer: 140
I have the Element long gloves since May. One step under from Calderas.
They were my weapon of choice in this last winter. They are waterproof and windproof.
Under extreme conditions, let's say, very cold nights of 0C or less. I felt a little "stab" in my fingers tips. I think it's more related to blood flow than quality of the gloves.
They are soft, and they break in quickly.
The shield squeege works great.
Regarding longevity, one of the velcro gaunlet straps started to unstitch, I sent it to a local leather crafter to sew it again, since then, I haven't tested under rain conditions to find out if the "waterproofity" was compromised. Also, I found some wear, almost unnoticeable, in both palm pads, but I blame on the abrassive OEM BMW grips.
I can post some pics tomorrow if you want...
Old 10-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
r1200gsa83 OP
Adventurer

Hey thanks for your feedback about the Elements! Do you have the short cuff or the long cuff version? I've been looking at those, they seem to be the more popular ones on revzilla.com. Do you know the difference between those and the calderas? It seems like the price difference is pretty small, I'm wondering if the Caldera's have a different outer material or if it's just the insulation or something.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Urbandrag
KLiM Beotch!

Mine are long scuff gloves.
According to Klim's website, the main difference I found between Elements and Calderas is the insulation.

http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/men/gloves/5033-000

For the price gap, I would not think it twice and I will go for the Calderas.

Here are the pics of mine:

Old 11-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
r1200gsa83 OP
Adventurer

Just got the Caldera's in the week, I'll post some details once I have a change to take them out for the weekend. Initial thoughts are that they feel warm! Feel is pretty good given the insulation, not as good as my summer gloves of course but surprising non the less. I'll let you know how they perform.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
Urbandrag
KLiM Beotch!

Congrats!!!!
Keep us posted about how they perform!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 614
Ordered a pair of the Caldera today.

Will let you know my thoughts.

My summer gloves didn't fair too well on the commute this morning (32f) brrrr!!

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,427
So how much insulation is on the palm side of either of these? I have small hands and it kills me to have to compress insulation between my hand and the grip...

Thanks!

Steve

followup q: How's the grip feel compare with the powerxcross?
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
r1200gsa83 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
So how much insulation is on the palm side of either of these? I have small hands and it kills me to have to compress insulation between my hand and the grip...

Thanks!

Steve

followup q: How's the grip feel compare with the powerxcross?
Been using mine for a couple weeks now and here my thoughts:

Insulation on the palm is noticeable but not uncomfortable. It bunches up around where your fingers meet your hand palm side when you close your hand around the grips. It doesn't feel like I'm compressing insulation though and the palm side actually feels considerably thinner than the top of the hand. Where it bunches up isn't uncomfortable but it does reduce what I feel coming from my heated grips in that area and it makes it hard for me to wrap my fingers around the entire grip to get the warmth of the grips onto my finger tips. Since you probably should be keeping your fingers extended towards the brake and clutch I imagine this is not exactly a bad thing and the gloves are very comfortable in that position. Warmth wise, I've been riding in 32 degree F weather and my hands are mostly warm, after a long day of riding my finger tips became cold but not enough that with the heated grips I wasn't content. Tactile response of the gloves is surprisingly good for how big these suckers are. They look good too, for what that's worth.

I have not tried any other winter style gloves so my ability to draw a comparison is rather limited. My other pairs of gloves are all summer styles. Overall i'm pleased with the workmanship of the klims, they feel like they'll last much longer than I will and they perform as I expected. Also have to give a shout out to revzilla where I got the gloves who provided awesome service. A++
Old 11-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Ordered a pair of the Caldera today.

Will let you know my thoughts.

My summer gloves didn't fair too well on the commute this morning (32f) brrrr!!
........and they arrived today so that was 24 hours exactly from order to arrival. Go Revzilla!

They look very sturdy and well made. They aren't fleecy inside, it feels more like a velour.

Hope to get a chance to try them out soon and will report back.

Triumph Explorer
Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Wore them into work yesterday, temp 29f.

Noticed that I am going to have to adapt to the fact the levers are a little more difficult to reach now though I expect there will be some break-in that alleviates that. These are the LEAST BULKY winter glove I have ever owned. The gloves feel a little bulky compared to my summer glove but that was to be expected.

Fit is perfect and both cinching straps have plenty of adjustment. Protection (a big plus for me) is excellent combining new technology (poronxrd and titanium) with old school Pittards Leather.

Throttle control was easy and I didn't feel like I couldn't use subtle inputs. Brake lever, like the clutch, required a conscious stretch to engage.

My ride lasts for about 20 minutes at the end of which I could feel my thumb tip was getting a little chilly. It sticks out into the wind on the throttle hand, the rest of the fingers get some protection from Barkbuster guards. Rest of hand and fingers were warm.

Ride home at 41f and did not feel any chilling of the thumb at all.

On the morning ride, had I not been constantly on and off the throttle I would have simply brought my thumb up on top of the throttle to get it out of the airflow and that would have helped a lot..

If I was planning a long distance ride in near freezing temperatures I would either invest in heated gloves or combine these gloves with Hippo Hands (most likely the latter now that I spent the money on these gloves).

Would I recommend them? Yes but only if $260 isn't at the far end of your budget. Otherwise I would get a less expensive glove and some Hippo Hands (I know they are ugly but they do work; I used them years ago in the UK winters). I could probably have got away with my summer glove and HH's but I figured the summer gloves needed a rest and I could afford to replace them.

I will check back in after a few more weeks of riding.

Triumph Explorer
Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,427
Thanks!

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote