ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,262
Did anyone here buy my Dalesman 125?

Waaaay back in'79 I sold a Dalesman 125 Enduro to a random stranger who rolled up with one (maybe on a trailer) where I worked. I left a note and got a call back and sold the bike. It's a small world. Owning one, make that seeing one, scratch that, even HEARING of a Dalesman is a minute world.

I spoke to a rider up at a Berkshire ride who seemed to be aware of one's existence. No, I dont wish to buy it back, or apologize. I'm just curious if there are other previous Dalesman owners out there or if I'm the only one.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

So far 99 inmates have seen my Dalesman thread and 0 have seen my Dalesman. Somewhere, out there...
Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Great..a mono poster thread...

Channeling Marvin Gaye:

Has anyone here, seen my ol' Dalesman

Can you tell me where she's gone?

She fouled a lot of plugs

They say the the good die young

I just looked around and she was gone...
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
This thread is useless without pics.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
I had to google the bike. It's no wonder no one has ever seen or heard of one!

Aw, just kiddin. Neat looking bike!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back in the day...

There were no cameras so sorry, no pics.

I had two plated bikes at the time, a TS250 and the Dalesman. I don't believe there was ever a time when both were operational at the same time. When the running one broke, I'd conduct a triage to determine which was the cheapest or easiest to fix.

I rode the Dalesman with no brakes. It had a compression release in the second spark plug hole. I used the release and very aggressive down shifting to stop the bike. The last few feet were a Fred Flintstone maneuver.

The Sachs engine had 6 speeds and a radial head. Using compression braking going down a steep hill always resulted in loading up the engine with fuel. Accelerating out of that began with massive amounts of blue smoke and misfiring. When it finally caught it was a friggin' rocket!

I think the tank was plastic and had an integrated seat pan. This look was sonewhat unique and is what attracted me to the bike. Dalesman's advt. in the magazines was tiny but it proclaimed the 125 to be the "rookie of the year".

The fork seals were off a Honda 305. The brake shoes were toast and I never bothered to attempt to match them with another brand's parts. I think I sold it for $75 or $125 to a guy who had one. I suspect that the parts needed were common to both. Thus ended my flirtation with the exotic. After that it was only Japanese bikes for me.

8gv screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 09:05 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
Good stuff! Those were the days heh?
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

A picture has been found...

The red one on the platform has the tank/seat structure I recall. I don't remember the hubs looking that cool but I owned the bike, not a collector. My engine cases weren't as shiny but I do remember them having large flat blade screws holding them together.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #9
dualsportride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
[QUOTE=8gv;20038616]Back in the day...

Wait you mean to tell me that you couldn't pull a device out of your pocket that has more memory and capability then the first shuttle to land on the moon that also has a picture and movie camera in it? How did you guys live back then everything must have been so private.
dualsportride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=dualsportride;20040497]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Back in the day...

Wait you mean to tell me that you couldn't pull a device out of your pocket that has more memory and capability then the first shuttle to land on the moon that also has a picture and movie camera in it? How did you guys live back then everything must have been so private.
By today's standards it was all pretty risky. At 14 a buddy and I went on a three day bicycle ride covering about 125 miles. We stayed at youth hostels and used a pay phone to check in both nights. Nobody in a white van offered us any candy and we didn't get hurt.

Back in Vince's day, the 1800's, guys would leave home at 15, go out west to shoot bears, take a wife and start a farm. The male child incubation period of today would certainly bring laughter to the men of yesteryear.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

No sightings???

Maybe I should have posted this to the Sasquatch thread...
Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #12
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,365
Wow,the pics bring back some memories!!

I had the pleasure of riding/racing a Rickman 125 back in the mid 70's. The radially finned head is what reminded me. The Rickman had a Zundapp motor with the same style of finning. What a blast that bike was to ride! If you weren't hanging on tight when that thing "came on the pipe" it'd leave you sitting in the dirt while it went on it's way.

Damn, I miss those old bikes ! Hope you get a lead on it.
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Back in Vince's day, the 1800's, guys would leave home at 15, go out west to shoot bears, take a wife....
Wait, we were supposed to take the wife and shoot the bear..... (I thought those guys were doin' it wrong...)
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote