ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #211
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
E85 plus ocean water =?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Talked to a friend from Brooklyn tonight. One of the major issues is that very little gasoline is available. He estimates that only 10% of the stations have anything, and they have long lines. Need to get some fuel trucks out there, stat.

After seeing all the pictures of slick coated water and hearing on tonight's news that gasoline was the first pollutant mentioned in the flood water contamination, I don't think that I would be looking to get fuel from any place that had been flooded, no matter how briefly. Having dealt with phase separation on a boat, I can do without that headache in anything I need for transportation.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #212
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Collapsed green house near Hazelton, WV

Wow! Hope all is well with you guys, Amazing for an october in WV.

KTM200, GS500E, Concours 1000
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #213
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,323

Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #214
rutard
Magnanimous Madcap

Oddometer: 326
Couldn't get anything good during the storm, because the tidal flooding here was only at night. Here are a couple shots to add to the mix (click on them if you want to see larger shot). Taken in the SE, CT

rutard screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 01:09 PM
rutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #215
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post

I cant see the pictures at work but at least you are posting.

I was worried you were like Gepptto and got ate by a whale as close as you were to the beach with your posts!
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #216
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
The two little kids who drowned on Staten Island....

Two kids as they say "swept from their mother's arms" as they fled their swamped SUV. Later found dead nearby. Suck for them. Sounds awful that reportedly neighbors slammed the door on the frantic mother and wouldn't even call 9-1-1.

But as bad as that is, reports say the Mom was driving on "Father Capodanno Boulevard" at the time. I'm not from there but Mapquest is, and that road is WATERFRONT. There are parallel inland roads. Who the heck drives their kids down a waterfront road during a hurricane.

This is an awful tragedy but looks like it was really the Mom who killed the kids by driving into that situation. Probably already dead by the time the neighbors refused her.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1195095
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #217
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutard View Post
Couldn't get anything good during the storm, because the tidal flooding here was only at night. Here are a couple shots to add to the mix (click on them if you want to see larger shot). Taken in the SE, CT

You live in the Borough?
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #218
justme23005
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
justme23005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #219
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,539
Even when they get the power lines repaired, expect secondary outages. We were without power for a relatively short (less than 24 hour) period here, primarily because of high winds. We were again without power yesterday for a two hour period, and again for an hour this morning. There are a lot of branches lodged in the upper story of the trees, and the root structure of other trees is damaged. Stuff is still coming down.

I talked to the crew chief during the second outage. They'd discovered a tree over the lines by a remote hunting camp. It was only a matter of time before the lines collapsed.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #220
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,853
Just got Optimum Online back.
Still no power (other then generator).

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #221
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,229
I've got 6 trees down on my middle Westchester property, plus a downed utility pole, so no electricity here. Driveway blocked, so can't get too close with a vehicle.

The lines are on the ground in 2 different places on the property, plus the road itself in several places. The lines were ripped from the house by the weight of the trees, hopefully, Con Ed will reattach them to the house. Based on past performance, our small road will be at the end of Con Ed's priority list. I anticipate at least another week before power is restored.

Unfortunately, the forecast is for freezing temps this week, so pipes bursting becomes an issue.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #222
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
I've got 6 trees down on my middle Westchester property, plus a downed utility pole, so no electricity here. Driveway blocked, so can't get too close with a vehicle.

The lines are on the ground in 2 different places on the property, plus the road itself in several places. The lines were ripped from the house by the weight of the trees, hopefully, Con Ed will reattach them to the house. Based on past performance, our small road will be at the end of Con Ed's priority list. I anticipate at least another week before power is restored.

Unfortunately, the forecast is for freezing temps this week, so pipes bursting becomes an issue.
No Generator or back up heat sorce? My Generator will allow my furnace to operate, and in case of Failure I also have back up heat in Kerosine heater and also propane heaters (And of course the fuel to operate all the systems. Being up here in the North cannot do without back up systems always in place and ready to operate. Wish I was closer and could lend a hand.

I have a well prepared friend in Rockland, once he had his home and business back up and running he loaned his supplies and equipment to someone who did not have any.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #223
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,229
Fortunately, at this point it's a second house, so we're not living in it. I live far enough away that I can't service a generator daily. May have to go down every few days to run it for a few hours and heat the place up.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #224
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Fortunately, at this point it's a second house, so we're not living in it. I live far enough away that I can't service a generator daily. May have to go down every few days to run it for a few hours and heat the place up.
Drain the lines and shut off the incoming water. If the home was built to code, there will be drain valves at the low points of the plumbing. Add a very healthy amount of RV antifreeze to the sink, shower, dishwasher and toilet drains, you don't want those traps dry or frozen. Shut down the hot water system (drain it, too) to prevent it from coming back on when power is back and you're not there.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #225
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Drain the lines and shut off the incoming water. If the home was built to code, there will be drain valves at the low points of the plumbing. Add a very healthy amount of RV antifreeze to the sink, shower, dishwasher and toilet drains, you don't want those traps dry or frozen. Shut down the hot water system (drain it, too) to prevent it from coming back on when power is back and you're not there.
Great advice, We have a hunting camp and keep he heated till the season is over, then do what you just stated to prep it for winter. Fill to toilet bowl with antifreeze as well.