ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #61
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,303
The freaking 'news' stations are scaring people. This morning we saw this warning:

Winds...east 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60 mph.

Timing...this morning through Tuesday morning. Strongest winds will occur from late this morning into this evening.

Impacts...a significant threat to life and property exists. Damaging winds will result in widespread power outages that could last for days...damage to structures and homes resulting in debris...and downed trees and power lines. Debris and downed trees could in some cases block roadways. Precautionary/preparedness actions... For your safety remain indoors as much as possible. If you lose power...use flashlights instead of candles. Do not go near fallen wires.

Really? Winds of 20 to 30MPH with gusts up to 60mph will cause damage to structures and homes...SIGNIFICANT threat to life? I wonder why I haven't died yet every time I ride 60mph causing a substantial damage to surrounding property

I know, I know...a different animal. I could understand a warning like that if we would actually see hurricane force winds. A gust of 60 is not a hurricane.

Now flooding...that could happen. (and will)

Canoe - check
12ga - check
4x4 car - check
chainsaw - check
coffee, wine - check
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #62
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,236
Point Pleasant Beach, Sunday

Hey: Pt Pleasant Beach, Sunday appx 12 noon. About 1.5 miles from my house. Getting windy, but I've seen worse. But we'll see what monday brings.

I looks like not everyone in this ocean front condo purchased the optional storm protection.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #63
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
The freaking 'news' stations are scaring people. This morning we saw this warning:

Winds...east 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60 mph.

Timing...this morning through Tuesday morning. Strongest winds will occur from late this morning into this evening.

Impacts...a significant threat to life and property exists. Damaging winds will result in widespread power outages that could last for days...damage to structures and homes resulting in debris...and downed trees and power lines. Debris and downed trees could in some cases block roadways. Precautionary/preparedness actions... For your safety remain indoors as much as possible. If you lose power...use flashlights instead of candles. Do not go near fallen wires.

Really? Winds of 20 to 30MPH with gusts up to 60mph will cause damage to structures and homes...SIGNIFICANT threat to life? I wonder why I haven't died yet every time I ride 60mph causing a substantial damage to surrounding property

I know, I know...a different animal. I could understand a warning like that if we would actually see hurricane force winds. A gust of 60 is not a hurricane.

Now flooding...that could happen. (and will)

Canoe - check
12ga - check
4x4 car - check
chainsaw - check
coffee, wine - check

My preparation was to go commando. In case of a fright, there won't be as big a mess to clean up.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #64
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Have no doubts..other states may have been spared, but jersey shore is taking a beating right now...and its still hours out. For Jersey, it will be an interesting next 24 hrs.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #65
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,293
Generator in garage w/ fresh oil, almost full of gas, gas can w/ 4 gallons. I'm go to go for 4 daze on that.

Gutters free of leaves, fire pit in garage along w/ 2 Honda dirtbikes, 1 circa '70s minibike, 1 Honda Ruckus, 1 Honda Superhawk

Didn't get any good beer, just some High Life

No Spudwieser in my casa & Dougie Z for $7. I would have gotten Dogfish Head (I know a couple of bucks more - but well worth it)

And I got to say, they had the storm timing exactly right, started raining @ 0800 in Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #66
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
@the going commando comment.have they started evacuations from the shore yet?
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #67
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
@the going commando comment.have they started evacuations from the shore yet?
Parts of the Ct coast are being advised to evacuate. I'm on a rather tall hill, so I'm not affected, but several neighborhoods along the Thames River have been notified. The Gold Star Bridge (I95) is going to be closed shortly.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #68
rutard
Magnanimous Madcap

Oddometer: 326
We have a mandatory evacuation for where I am (SE CT coast), but we're staying. Don't think the wind or rain will be that bad, but the storm surge could get gnarly if it coincides w. high tide. Will post photos if I get anything good.
rutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #69
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Just got a report from a friend that lives up in Lake Hopatcong(NJ), that people are stealing generators from other's people's yards. People are just Eff'ed up.
I just finished cobbing up a exhaust set-up using Stainless Steel flexible gas pipe and some copper fittings and such, so that I can have my brandy new Honda 6500 generator running quietly and happily INSIDE my garage, out of view from prying eyes and out of the wetness.
Fingers crossed though that we won't need it. (Since we spent big $$$$$ on it, not even one outage yet).
Weather wise, it's been VERY windy here all morning with sporadic rain.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #70
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
I just finished cobbing up a exhaust set-up using Stainless Steel flexible gas pipe and some copper fittings and such, so that I can have my brandy new Honda 6500 generator running quietly and happily INSIDE my garage, out of view from prying eyes and out of the wetness.
Fingers crossed though that we won't need it. (Since we spent big $$$$$ on it, not even one outage yet).

Chris
Nice. I would do the same....if I had a garage.....or a generator for that matter.

Power goes out, we deal...like camping in a big wooden box. I camp enough that living with out electric for a few days is no big deal. One bottle of water, for brushing teeth and ghetto washcloth shower is good enough for me...that is why they invented deodorant, right.

Now the wife on the other hand...cable and power go out, it is the end of the world in her eyes. The dogs and I would be perfectly content in the nice quiet house, so long as hew whining does not drive us batty.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #71

Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:

Chris
Generator falls into the "Better looking at one than looking for one" category.

I need to set mine up to run in the garage. One of those projects I put off until later and then its storm time and its still not done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #72
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:

Chris
rig up a CO detector by the door to the garage.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #73
vtwinp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Water Front Dining? Waretown

This is Barnegat Bay and normal tide is 6 feet below this dock!

Lagoonview Dr
vtwinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #74
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinp View Post
Lagoonview Dr
I wonder where that porta-john is gonna end up. :lol

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #75
vtwinp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
I wonder where that porta-john is gonna end up. :lol
Most likely Staten Island in about an hour.
vtwinp is offline   Reply With Quote