ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Amendment 64: The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act of 2012
Yes 102 73.91%
No 36 26.09%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #286
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding
 
ironbrewer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Broomfield, CO
Oddometer: 4,001
Here is a bit of a explanation of school funding.

How do TABOR and Gallagher combined affect public schools?
Schools are funded by a combination of local (property) and state revenues. The Gallagher Amendment formula has limited local revenues by cutting the residential assessment rate by two-thirds since its passage in 1982. From 1982 until 1992 districts could make up for the lower assessment rate by increasing their mill rate. In addition, the state had the flexibility to increase state spending to make up for losses in the local property tax contribution. But with the passage of TABOR in 1992, a combination of budget formulas made it increasingly difficult to fund schools: TABOR’s revenue limits automatically cut mill rates in districts across Colorado at the same time TABOR limited the state’s ability to prop up school funding with state dollars. As a result, total per pupil funding didn’t even keep up with the Consumer Price Index during the 1990s – even though Colorado’s economy was booming. Note that the combination of Gallagher and TABOR has shifted the burden of school funding from local property taxes to the State General Fund. Thus, the State’s General Fund provides more than 60% of school funding whereas it used to be less than 40%. This explains the dramatic increase in the portion of the General Fund now spent on schools.


Here is another article on how the budget is being effected by Tabor.
__________________
"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."


Pat Paulsen

ironbrewer screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 06:29 AM
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #287
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,834
Check out figure 2. Doesn't look so dire in this one.
Actually, this entire abstract doesn't look so bad.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true
__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #288
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer
 
wzd1a's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Castle Rock
Oddometer: 1,256
IMO it is disingeneuous to present those charts on a per pupil basis - much of the expense is to pay pension costs which most private sector employees will never see.

It would be nice to show those same charts on a per district employee basis and broken down between administrators, teachers and maintanence staff, and/or on a payroll and pension basis.
wzd1a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #289
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
Still waiting on that dong pic, Dude.



...just sayin'
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #290
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
Still waiting on that dong pic, Dude.



...just sayin'
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #291
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
I know the Denver Post is just a liberal rag and that this is just a blog "article", but:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/...-stores/85482/
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #292
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
I know the Denver Post is just a liberal rag and that this is just a blog "article", but:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/...-stores/85482/


Many people fear the unknown as their government has taught them to do.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #293
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
Funny you mention that, Meterpig.

Seeing the news about Sandy...and all I can think about is, how could anyone be surprised by the aftermath of the disaster? It doesn't matter who the president is or how much money is poured into government, the only person you can depend on is yourself. Unfortunately most people can't even depend on that. Even worse, we as a society continue to waste so much money and effort in government attempting to disprove that fundamental truth. What real value has 16 trillion dollars of national debt brought any one, recently?
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #294
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
Of course, fear of the unknown also plays into the minds of voting parents when considering A64.

Many hideous faces of US government and its supporting institutions have convinced our society and by and large the world that marijuana is a boogeyman. It even supports terrorism like shoes and underwear.

How will parents explain to their kids that the boogeyman got out of jail scott free?

When a wall of lies is built up and instilled in a child, it may only take the removal of one well chosen brick for that entire world-view to come crashing down. It just so happens that marijuana, being so readily available to our kids, is usually the foundation (the gateway) of that wall of lies as far as "drug education" goes. Of course teens in particular have no problem throwing all the knowledge parents bestow upon them right into the garbage regardless of that content's true validity.

So is it really a wonder why millions of youth try marijuana when any one with even a developing intellect can sense that the foundation of their "drug education" is precariously posited on the disasterous reality that alcohol, which spreads violence and kills people left and right, is legal and pushed onto an already addiction-prone society while marijuana, the least evil of all the traditional "vices", is called a boogeyman terrorist...?

Choosing to use marijuana is perceived as a win all across the board by most teens with half a brain...
They not only get to go against the grain of society and their parents, but they also get to make the adult decision to try it after coming to the adult realization that they've been lied to for quite a few years (DARE started for me in 5th grade). Few things will make your average teen happier than getting high after all that thinking.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #295
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?
 
Hondo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Oddometer: 8,925
This thread is so full of, what word would best to describe this, nonsense.............
__________________
KLRWorld.com Forums - Nighthawk Forums

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #296
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,095
I have small children and am prepared to provide a reason stronger than "it's illegal". Like speeding...right? Well, "it's a felony" is quite persuasive...right?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
Of course, fear of the unknown also plays into the minds of voting parents when considering A64.

Many hideous faces of US government and its supporting institutions have convinced our society and by and large the world that marijuana is a boogeyman. It even supports terrorism like shoes and underwear.

How will parents explain to their kids that the boogeyman got out of jail scott free?

When a wall of lies is built up and instilled in a child, it may only take the removal of one well chosen brick for that entire world-view to come crashing down. It just so happens that marijuana, being so readily available to our kids, is usually the foundation (the gateway) of that wall of lies as far as "drug education" goes. Of course teens in particular have no problem throwing all the knowledge parents bestow upon them right into the garbage regardless of that content's true validity.

So is it really a wonder why millions of youth try marijuana when any one with even a developing intellect can sense that the foundation of their "drug education" is precariously posited on the disasterous reality that alcohol, which spreads violence and kills people left and right, is legal and pushed onto an already addiction-prone society while marijuana, the least evil of all the traditional "vices", is called a boogeyman terrorist...?

Choosing to use marijuana is perceived as a win all across the board by most teens with half a brain...
They not only get to go against the grain of society and their parents, but they also get to make the adult decision to try it after coming to the adult realization that they've been lied to for quite a few years (DARE started for me in 5th grade). Few things will make your average teen happier than getting high after all that thinking.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #297
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.
 
UncleDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: High Plains of Colorado
Oddometer: 11,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
And you're from...Loveland!?


Why someone would dig up a post about someone else who expressed how ridiculous the USPS is (a totally reasonable observation), I have no idea. You have no balls left if that utter waste of tax dollars does NOT make you angry from a citizen's perspective let alone a customer's perspective!
Posit on things you don't know about often?
Until the PAEA of 2006 (google it), the USPS was doing just fine, and had not taken a dime of tax money since, what? 1970??? We exist on our own revenues alone. Until now.

Now, we have to PRE-fund every retirement for every worker for the next 75 years. We pay, to the Government, 5 Billion dollars every year. And it's killing us. We are prefunding people that haven't even been born yet, and the money went into the general fund. No other business on the planet has to do this. None. And we've been overcharged to the tune of about 100 Billion dollars since 2006. Sure like to have that money returned, but darn it, it went to the general fund and done got spented.

So if we DO end up taking taxpayer money, it will be because of the PAEA and the folks who passed it and signed it. It was designed to bankrupt us, and is succeeding.

Service? It sucks because management has cut all service related expenditures, to make you pissed off and use Stamps.com or go to Safeway. One clerk at the window, big lines, pissed off customers??? It's intentional, and it pisses us off too.

.47 cents. Coast to coast. Or to Alaska, Hawaii......
Still the best deal on the planet.


Oh yeah, and legalize the hell out of pot, man.
__________________
_______________________________________________
"I'll say it again: I'll consider corporations individuals when Texas executes a board of directors." ~RandyB
WW/Snoid 2014
UncleDirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #298
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
So it is a waste of taxpayer dollars...good to hear that from the horse's mouth!

...

I didn't say it was a waste on a consistent historical basis, did I?
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #299
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...-strong-suport

The poll of the poll of the poll says A64 is currently at 51-Y and 44-N.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #300
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
So it is a waste of taxpayer dollars...good to hear that from the horse's mouth!

...

I didn't say it was a waste on a consistent historical basis, did I?
Dude, you are right on the POT, so wrong on the USPS in so many ways.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014