ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Amendment 64: The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act of 2012
Yes 102 73.91%
No 36 26.09%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #406
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
But you got to admit, it's gonna be interesting watching what happens here in CO with the passing of this. I like to think of it as a "front row seat" to get to watch history being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacocaT View Post
My main concern heading into winter is how much slower tourist are going to be skiing if this is allowed to continue.
Tree skiing just got a whole lot safer . . .
Old 11-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #407
JGR
I ride in jeans.

Oddometer: 99
Help!

Ok ok... so if it's now legal to smoke weed, logic dictates it's now illegal to not smoke weed. This I get. What I need to know is do I have to smoke it everyday or every hour of everyday? These bureaucrats down in Denver just pass these new laws but fail to specify the details and this is where I get confused.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #408
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGR View Post
Ok ok... so if it's now legal to smoke weed, logic dictates it's now illegal to not smoke weed. This I get. What I need to know is do I have to smoke it everyday or every hour of everyday? These bureaucrats down in Denver just pass these new laws but fail to specify the details and this is where I get confused.
Are you high?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #409
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Are you high?
So...if we meet up again next spring...Colorado of course, not Utah...will I have to bring my own supplies?
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #410
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
So...if we meet up again next spring...Colorado of course, not Utah...will I have to bring my own supplies?
Don't worry about it. We can stop at the store
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #411
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I would gladly trade for some fine Texas microbrew.

Oh... I guess I can just rake cash.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #412
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
Don't worry about it. We can stop at the store
I can visualize some riders popping of the woods and arriving at an intersection. "Hey do you want to go back to camp or should we make a run to town for some kind bud. Ah...better get some buds. OK you're right, what was I thinking."
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #413
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
smokin and riding

with the changes in the marijauna laws one can assume there will be more impaired drivers... wonder how many bikers will become statistics

Phoenix101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #414
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix101 View Post
with the changes in the marijauna laws one can assume there will be more impaired drivers... wonder how many bikers will become statistics
I'll say it again.

Those who would smoke and drive?
Already do.
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #415
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Nothing has changed, yet, and there's no guarantee that anything will change.

It seems highly unlikely that when January 5th rolls around Hickenlooper is going to simply tell us all that Amendment 64 has been put into effect, unadulterated and with no resistance from the feds. More realistically, he has probably been spending every day since the 6th on the phone with the feds asking how he can derail this, with their help of course.

Since the public has been informed of the election results of A64, I bet more people have jumped on the bandwagon. In the minds of many, there's no reason not to jump on now that it passed. This will translate into more resistance to any derailing attempts....People who didn't care at all before it passed or who didn't even vote, having since jumped on the bandwagon, won't like it when the feds are suing the State to try to take away what the majority of the people of this State have voted in.

Here's an interesting (and, IMO, realistic and more than possible) take on how things could turn out in the next few years:
http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2012/07...ed_marijua.php
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #416
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 473
The thing is that to reverse the whole process, colorado has to pass another amendment to our constitution to repeal A64. Its not a policy, law, or a city code, ITS IN OUR CONSTITUTION NOW.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #417
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
The reality of the future for many Colorado citizens may be that the state Constitution will provide no defense whatsoever against any federal charge.

We have no true precedence for this particular situation in the USA. What's to stop the feds from coming in and laying the smack down on the first public pot party that will inevitably be set for early January?

We do have a hint from the federal government regarding what they might do for future enforcement in CO...currently they only bust MMJ operations that are violating the state's MMJ laws. So it could be extrapolated that they may leave CO legal pot alone except for the commercial operations that break the law as specified by A64 and forthcoming legislation and regulations as specified by the state. That being said, I think the federal government isn't gazing as kindly at A64 as they do on MMJ. Needless to say, I'm expecting our state Constitutional rights to get trampled on quite severely.

A very, very good read with a University of Denver law professor giving his insight on the many possibilities:
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...it_arrests.php

Myfuture_yourdebt screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 01:32 PM
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #418
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 345
An interesting article, looks like lots of the regulatory necessities are already in place for CO:

Quote:
Marijuana in Colorado: Ready for Business, Complete with Regulations
http://nation.time.com/2012/11/09/ma...ons/?hpt=hp_t3

Colorado boasts the only for-profit medical marijuana market in the country; and a look at the offerings at Local Product of Colorado, a pot dispensary with 200 regular users, evidences a talent for marketing.

Among the fast-selling strains are Golden Goat and Sour Tsunami, a genetically engineered plant that has shown anti-inflammatory properties, according to Jason Katz, head of operations at the outlet. The store also carries a host of popular marijuana-infused edibles, oils and even drinks. Business has never been easy.

If mainstream small businessmen gripe about government regulations then they shouldn’t consider going into the legal marijuana trade. Every step in the growing process—“from seed to sale,” says Katz—is rigorously monitored by the state.

The planting, growing, and processing of plants happens under the constant view of video cameras monitored by the state’s Medical Marijuana Enforcement Division. No video blind spots are allowed. Truck shipments must also detail the total weight of marijuana products, in addition to the vehicle’s time of departure and arrival. And every marijuana worker must be licensed, an arduous, time-consuming process.

That heavily regulated system, however, may have helped win passage for Colorado’s Amendment 64, the recreational marijuana measure approved by voters on Election Day. It legalizes the use and possession of marijuana for people over 21 and allows them to cultivate up to six plants.

Experts say that Colorado’s medical marijuana regulation provides a successful model for monitoring recreational marijuana. “The thing that Colorado really has going for it is that there is already a high level of comfort and familiarity with the state licensing, taxing and regulating the above-ground distribution of marijuana,” Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, tells TIME. “People had become accustomed to the notion that this can be a source of tax revenue, and that police can play a role in insuring effective regulation rather than just arresting anyone they could.”

A long-standing argument in favor of marijuana legalization in Colorado is the drug’s sheer revenue-generating potential. Until now, drug cartels have enjoyed the lion’s share of marijuana profits. But Amendment 64 is almost certain to take a sizeable economic bite out of the black market. The law could generate up to $60 million annually for the state in combined tax revenues and savings from reduced law enforcement costs, according to the Colorado Center on Law and Policy.

The amendment also calls for a 15% excise tax on wholesale marijuana sales, with the first $40 million in revenues every year earmarked for the construction of public schools. “That was certainly part of the selling point,” Sam Kamin, a law professor at the University of Denver, tells TIME. “Medical marijuana and legalization have definitely been buoyed by the fact that they are a potential tax revenue source at a time when so many of those have been drying up.”

But the strict oversight of medical marijuana has done more than set up Amendment 64 for regulatory success. Colorado’s strident rules have, for the most part, also kept the federal government at bay. The state’s Attorney General has mostly kept his hands off hundreds of dispensaries operating in the state, only targeting some that were operating within 1,000 feet of schools. “They have a policy essentially in Colorado that if you’re following state law, they will leave you alone,” says Brian Vicente, executive director of the non-profit Sensible Colorado, referring to the federal government.

While opinions vary, drug policy experts say that bodes well for the future of recreational marijuana in Colorado. They point to some promising signs. When California attempted to legalize recreational marijuana two years ago, for example, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder warned the state of the consequences.

In Colorado’s case, though, Holder has remained silent, despite repeated calls from former DEA administrators for Holder to take a strong public stance against Amendment 64. Says Nadelmann, “There’s a possibility that the Obama administration will consider refraining from intervening to the extent they are persuaded that the state has come up with a responsible regulatory model that addresses their concerns.”

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #419
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrackslayer View Post
The thing is that to reverse the whole process, colorado has to pass another amendment to our constitution to repeal A64. Its not a policy, law, or a city code, ITS IN OUR CONSTITUTION NOW.
Get used to it, this is the way of the future. The elected legislature does not tackle issues that are controversial or reflect the will of the people, so the people do it through amendments.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #420
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
Cool2 Curious Canuck here

So? Is Obama likely to be visiting Colorado and Washington more frequently in his second (and last) term as Prez?