ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Amendment 64: The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act of 2012
Yes 102 73.91%
No 36 26.09%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #451
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Wrong on all counts. Competition will reduce prices.

Ben, even at $400/ounce, marijuana is still cheaper (about half the price) than an equivalent buzz with micro brews, with much lower damage to the environment. In fact, I think growers should be able to sell carbon credits to further the cause.

And let's say you're right and competition will reduce prices. The illegal guy will still be cheaper than the legal retailer.

My point in all this is simple: The new laws in Colorado and Washington will not eliminate the illegal sale of marijuana in either state. I would venture it will have no impact at all on illegal marijuana sale or use. The legal age in Colorado wil be 21. I'm betting the same 16 year olds that smoke illegally now will smoke illegally then. And the same friend that sells it to them now will sell it to them then. And if prices go up, the illegal guy will be able to undersell the retailer and if prices go down, the illegal guy will be able to undersell the retailer.
__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #452
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Spoken like a true criminal.

People have been buying weed from "criminals" for decades now. ADVers have been buying weed from other ADVers for at least a decade now. And I think there's pics to prove it.

You really think that just because a fancy pot store with nice chairs and some magazines to read opens up in the local strip mall they will spend the extra bucks to go shop there? I think most folks do not view their current pot "guy" as a "criminal". They view him as a friend. I think many of them will continue to "shop locally" and they will keep buying from that friend. And that friend, sans overhead, will always offer a better deal than the new store on the block.
The black market can't compete at all with MMJ even, how will it compete with legal commercial sales? You can have your opinion, but I am telling you from boots on the ground that your opinion is just plain wrong. So many people's "friends" are getting out of the black market because there's no money to be made anymore with half-ass buds (compared to MMJ product) even with half-ass prices or quarter-ass prices. For the vast majority of tokers, quantity does not substitute for quality [this is because the negative effects are much higher when smoking more crap bud than when smoking less good bud; the less you have to smoke to get high, the better]...that means only top-notch MMJ buds are sought after (top-notch relative to the black market's standards). Thankfully these buds can be had for $40/8th or something like $200/ounce. Black market buds not even half the quality use to be sold at $300/ounce before MMJ, now that same bud doesn't even have buyers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Drug cartels hijack pharmaceutical shipments all the time and then sell the drug below cost all the time.
They can't competer with the pharma industry in terms of research and development, but they sure as hell compete when it comes to distribution.
I was referring to a different hypothetical situation. To me, saying the black market can compete with the commercial marijuana market is similar to saying that if the drug cartels could manufacture their own pharma pills, then they could actually compete with big pharma on that basis. Generally speaking and in my opinion, there's little reason to believe an under-funded, ill-informed, and illegitimate business can compete with a similar business that is well-funded, informed, and legitimate. As Hellsickle noted, people aren't rushing to buy stolen cars from chop shops just because they're cheaper.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #453
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
And let's say you're right and competition will reduce prices. The illegal guy will still be cheaper than the legal retailer.

My point in all this is simple: The new laws in Colorado and Washington will not eliminate the illegal sale of marijuana in either state. I would venture it will have no impact at all on illegal marijuana sale or use. The legal age in Colorado wil be 21. I'm betting the same 16 year olds that smoke illegally now will smoke illegally then. And the same friend that sells it to them now will sell it to them then. And if prices go up, the illegal guy will be able to undersell the retailer and if prices go down, the illegal guy will be able to undersell the retailer.
A similar analogy would be illegal moonshine. Maybe I hang with the wrong crowd, but when was the last time you had access to illegal booze (Shearboy excluded )? It was huge business during prohibition, but has virtually vanished since then. Bootleggers and gangs flourished. Many people were poisoned by home stills, just as many people can be poisoned by pesticides with uncontrolled grow operations. Many others are killed when they come across an illegal operation. Nobody is saying it will eliminate associated crime, but legalization is proven to reduce criminal activity and reduce health risks.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #454
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
And let's say you're right and competition will reduce prices. The illegal guy will still be cheaper than the legal retailer.

My point in all this is simple: The new laws in Colorado and Washington will not eliminate the illegal sale of marijuana in either state. I would venture it will have no impact at all on illegal marijuana sale or use. The legal age in Colorado wil be 21. I'm betting the same 16 year olds that smoke illegally now will smoke illegally then. And the same friend that sells it to them now will sell it to them then. And if prices go up, the illegal guy will be able to undersell the retailer and if prices go down, the illegal guy will be able to undersell the retailer.
He is right, prices all across the board have already gone down due to MMJ (as I've said in my last few posts). Your venture is wrong, MMJ has had HUGE effects on the black market and there's very few reasons to suspect that full-scale commercial sales would reverse that trend. You are right about the 16 y/o...because no matter what, him smoking would be illegal because of his age. That being said, I can tell you right now that many a 16 y/o is already getting their buds from friends with MMJ licenses (meaning they are not buying off the regular black market anymore although buying from friends with med cards is in itself a sort of black market). Your speculation about what'll happen with the regular black market is wrong on pretty much every count, Dude, based on everything I've witnessed for myself and heard from everyone else, things that are already happening with MMJ affecting the black market. I am fairly immersed in the culture and know a thing or two. You're guessing from a keyboard.

Myfuture_yourdebt screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 09:31 AM
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #455
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
He is right, prices all across the board have already gone down due to MMJ (as I've said in my last few posts). Your venture is wrong, MMJ has had HUGE effects on the black market and there's very few reasons to suspect that full-scale commercial sales would reverse that trend. You are right about the 16 y/o...because no matter what, him smoking would be illegal. That being said, I can tell your right now that many a 16 y/o is already getting their buds from friends with MMJ licenses (meaning they are not buying off the regular black market anymore although buying from friends with med cards is in itself a sort of black market). Your speculation about what'll happen with the black market is wrong on pretty much every count, Dude, based on everything I've witnessed for myself and heard from everyone else, things that are already happening with MMJ affecting the black market. I am fairly immersed in the culture and know a thing or two. You're guessing from a keyboard.
Good points. Someone with high friends in low places is much more credible than the guy banging on his smart phone while waiting in a doctor's lobby.

I support large criminal penalties for those providing MJ to minors. Even larger than the penalties for providing alcohol to minors. Numerous studies have shown adverse effects of heavy use on developing brains.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #456
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
I am fairly immersed in the culture and know a thing or two. You're guessing from a keyboard.
Bothof my sons are 21 or older and both "partake".
I did a little survey ( a survey of 2) a few weeks back before deciding how to vote.
I asked my oldes son (who has his MMJ card) "where do you buy your weed?"
He said 'from a friend of mine at work" (Notice he said "friend", not "criminal)

I asked the younger son "Where do you buy your weed?"
He said "From a buddy of mine up in Estes". (He also didn't call his freind/supplier a criminal)

I asked them both later on "Where will you buy your weed once it is legal in Colo?"

They both said "From my friend"
I asked why

They both said (And I'm paraphrasing) "He always has good stuff, fair prices and I like hanging out with the guy"

When I asked them if they had any problem with buying it "illegally" when a legal option will be available (and keep in mind these are kids who haven't purchased a single song legally in years, they just steal what they want off the internet), one said "No. I'll be allowed to have an ounce or less on me at any time and no one is going to ask where I bought it. It's not like I have to have a receipt for it. The only thing I've ever been concerned about is getting busted while I have some on me. Now I don't have to worry about that. Less than an ounce and I'm good."

Then I asked if a retail store would appeal to them and they said "for pipes and paraphanalia probably, and if they're running some uber sale on some strain, but for the most part I'll just stick with my guy. It'll be cheaper and less hassle".

Again, that's a small sample of only two tokers and their two dealers, but they have no intent on changing their supplier. Even with a card, my oldest still buys from his co-worker buddy.
__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #457
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
...but where is their pot coming from? It may be coming from a black market, so to speak, but that black market may simply be the backdoor of a dispensary or a supplier of a dispensary. The point is, I highly doubt the "friends" are getting it from a traditional black market source and definitely not one that can be traced back to organized crime and/or the cartels. Did you ask if their friends are associated with dispensaries? For all we know, the "friends" are working at dispensaries, bringing home some personal stash, and then selling some on the side. That is illegal, but it's a far cry from the traditional black market. That sort of thing is happening all over CO all the time and it has been for years now. The real black market can't compete with MMJ or MMJ's black market, period.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #458
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Good points. Someone with high friends in low places is much more credible than the guy banging on his smart phone while waiting in a doctor's lobby.
Wrong again.

I may not smoke as much as you do, or smoke it in front of minors, (remember what I said about pics?) or smoke on ADV rides but I am very familiar with "the culture" and have been around it quite a bit. I also understand economics a bit.

Went gun shopping recently. The model I want is $650 new retail plus tax. The same model is $550 used retail plus tax.
The 'private sector' is $450 to $500, no sales tax.


Same is true of cars (as I mentioned in a previous post).
If the same car can be had from a private party cheaper and without any dealer charges, why buy retail?

Retail pot stores will do fine. Some will make a profit, some will go out of business, competition will be good and they will attrack many new customers.
But illegal sales and drug cartels aren't going anywhere, and innocent Mexican mayors and their families will still be murdered.
__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA

TheDudeAbides screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 09:54 AM
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #459
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!
 
MountainsandRivers's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: To Hell U Ride
Oddometer: 2,274
Sorry Dude, I know first hand you are wrong in this case about legal vs illegal. When we had MMJ shops open in town (6 for a population of 2500, everyone is sick and hurting here, haha), the average price per ounce dropped by $100 and the quality stayed the same, but more choice varieties. The local black market basically dried up. We never dealt much with brick/ditch weed anyway, but the people who dealt before mostly did it to supply their habit. Now they can grow or purchase their own cheaper than before, so little motivation to do it under the table. We are down to 3 shops now I think, demand vs competition and costs of rents/keeping up with regulations etc...Unless the government forces so many regulations that the stores can't afford to keep it affordable, then I don't see the black market coming. Maybe other areas with more border ties will feel different. The cartels will just switch to muling more coke and it will be the early 80s all over again...that is where I still see south of the border action, but not on weed. Just my take on it from a ski bums perspective, so what do I know?
__________________
2009 Beta 525RR
supporter of COHVCO, RMAR, PAPA, TPA and the GOATS!

MountainsandRivers screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 10:00 AM
MountainsandRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #460
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,879
Musical interlude time

My all time favorite drug song/story from the infamous toker Todd Snider

__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #461
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!
 
MountainsandRivers's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: To Hell U Ride
Oddometer: 2,274
Interesting perspective from your sons. The market may just be different over there, or maybe the stores are charging more than here? Maybe the situational is regional, because your view is valid for sure..either way, it's all good! My folks even voted for it, which blew me away..they were big DARE supporters when I was growing up, but now that I kind of am too, we can talk more openly about the realities of it..
__________________
2009 Beta 525RR
supporter of COHVCO, RMAR, PAPA, TPA and the GOATS!
MountainsandRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #462
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
Dude, I couldn't even find a black market source right now if I wanted to and I've been partaking since high school and still know all the people who use to "hook it up". None of them do anymore and most of them don't even talk to their old sources because the well dried up years ago shortly after MMJ came around and enough people got their cards.

"illegal sales and drug cartels aren't going anywhere"

I can believe that about the cartels because they are a diversified business that doesn't run off of one product or service. But you're just plain wrong about the traditional black market. "illegal sales" won't be going anywhere in a sense because people aren't going to follow the new laws to a T, no doubt. But people with illegal grow operations (the traditional black market you're referring to when you say "illegal sales") will not be able to compete with the combination of MMJ, commercial (legal) sales, and what I'd call the "new black market of pot" which are the backdoor deals of dispensaries and other deals violating the new laws not the old ones.

A study by a Mexican think-tank concluded that legalization will hurt the cartels (your "illegal sales").
http://www.insightcrime.org/news-ana...-profits-by-30
What study have you done?
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #463
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,879
Mexican think tank








Just listen to Todd Snyder and chill.
He's good for the soul.
__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #464
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
Really, Dude, that's pretty racist. Just because they're "a bunch of mexicans" doesn't mean their opinion is completely ignorant. They're much more familiar with the situation than you are, they're living in it.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #465
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!
 
MountainsandRivers's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: To Hell U Ride
Oddometer: 2,274
You lost me with Mexican think tank..is that Jose and Pablo sitting around discussing politics over Cervezas in Baja? I might have a calling!...
__________________
2009 Beta 525RR
supporter of COHVCO, RMAR, PAPA, TPA and the GOATS!
MountainsandRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014