ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Amendment 64: The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act of 2012
Yes 102 73.91%
No 36 26.09%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #466
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Interesting perspective from your sons. The market may just be different over there, or maybe the stores are charging more than here? Maybe the situational is regional, because your view is valid for sure..either way, it's all good! My folks even voted for it, which blew me away..they were big DARE supporters when I was growing up, but now that I kind of am too, we can talk more openly about the realities of it..

Over here we started with a bunch of MMJ stores, then that dwindled to just a few. The few that remained (according to my oldest son) got all cocky and acted like a) they were a monopoly and b) they had the best chronic ever in the history of the world and they charged accordingly.
The combination of "legal" scaricity and predatory pricing ended up driving up demand for the old black market stuff and from what they tell me, it's alive and well.
I know he can score some deisel from the street at a moment's notice with no problem.

Whatever. I could care less. I don't buy into HellSickle's tear jerking tug at your (bleeding)heartstrings argument that if more states in the U.S. legalized pot, then drug lords in Mexico would start celebrating Mayoral Appreciation Day.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #467
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,357
It's "diesel"..are you high or something?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #468
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
It's "diesel"..are you high or something?

If I was high, I'd be able to spell.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #469
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,357
But you might forget the question! ooh oohh shiny ball, gotta go!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #470
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

The Brian Regan "I before E' routine, set to some really stupid animation.
But's it's the only audio I could find of his classic routine

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #471
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Personally I think most of TheDude's story about the conversations he supposedly had with his sons is a fabrication.

"The few that remained (according to my oldest son) got all cocky and acted like a) they were a monopoly and b) they had the best chronic ever in the history of the world and they charged accordingly.
The combination of "legal" scaricity and predatory pricing ended up driving up demand for the old black market stuff and from what they tell me, it's alive and well.
I know he can score some deisel from the street at a moment's notice with no problem."

If that was actually part of the story with his sons, why didn't he include it in his first post where he mentioned them? [Hint: because he was crafting this story as he typed and this second part only came to him later conveniently as he needed it to continue arguing his point] If that experience was based in reality, your sons would be telling you how relatively cheap the best-of-the-best is unless they've been living under a rock when it comes to the pot scene. $40 for an 8th of what is among the best bud in the world...that is not expensive especially when that same exact bud would have sold for $100+/8th before MMJ because no such bud was even available to any but a very small minority (those who knew great growers but there were very few professional-quality growers before MMJ hence the proliferation of "ditch weed"/"schwag"). And like I said, even if his sons are actually buying pot illegally, there is really no chance that it could be traced back to a cartel unless they like ditch weed that was compacted by someone's bowel movements during the long journey across the border. In all likelihood, it would be traced back to a dispensary.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #472
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
...but where is their pot coming from? It may be coming from a black market, so to speak, but that black market may simply be the backdoor of a dispensary or a supplier of a dispensary. The point is, I highly doubt the "friends" are getting it from a traditional black market source and definitely not one that can be traced back to organized crime and/or the cartels. Did you ask if their friends are associated with dispensaries? For all we know, the "friends" are working at dispensaries, bringing home some personal stash, and then selling some on the side. That is illegal, but it's a far cry from the traditional black market. That sort of thing is happening all over CO all the time and it has been for years now. The real black market can't compete with MMJ or MMJ's black market, period.
A great debate going on here. But i think the above post really summarizes it, the black foreign market is dwindling and the grey market is coming up. In the last 5 or so years i have been a resident and "partaker" in PA, CA and now CO. I have held a MMJ card in CA & CO, and was present in CA when dispensaries really started to take off. I also used to be extensively involved in "black markets" in PA & CA more than i would ever admit in writing. My findings and experience is that MMJ has killed the private entrepreneur and the passing of amendment 64 will do the same. Everyone will still always have a guy they deal with however the source is going to be like stated above. No longer is it coming from immigrants or illegal sources, but rather grey markets and stuff that "fell off the truck". That being said the availability has caused the private prices to fall to MMJ pricepoints and i believe it will continue to do so. As someone else said, if prices begin to rise, it is easy enough to cultivate and now legal that folks will do it or have groups of people doing it together.

To buy into the analogies here, for me personally, i have done micro brewing but buy commercial beer for convenience. MMJ is no different, why bother and waste your own time (often more valuable than the product yield itself).

edit: spelled yield wrong hahah
Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #473
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Personally I think most of TheDude's story about the conversations he supposedly had with his sons is a fabrication.

"The few that remained (according to my oldest son) got all cocky and acted like a) they were a monopoly and b) they had the best chronic ever in the history of the world and they charged accordingly.
I know he can score some deisel from the street at a moment's notice with no problem."

If that was actually part of the story with his sons, why didn't he include it in his first post where he mentioned them? [Hint: because he was crafting this story as he typed and this second part only came to him later conveniently as he needed it to continue arguing his point] .

I never said in the first post that my sons never went into the MMJ stores, and I never said they wouldn't frequent new ones if they open up here. I in fact did say they'd still use them for praphanalia and super deals on close out strains. Same as they did with MMJ shops.
Loveland got reduced to one bigger one called "The Smithstonian" http://www.kushmagazine.com/componen...9-smithstonian

And the owner Gene (who's also a classic car guy) got very "proud" of his product and priced it accordingly. He thought he was the only game in town.
But yeah stalker, I'm making it up as I go. I don't really know anything about MMJ in Loveland or what my kids tell me.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #474
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Another great drug song

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #475
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,322
Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #476
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
I never said in the first post that my sons never went into the MMJ stores, and I never said they wouldn't frequent new ones if they open up here. I in fact did say they'd still use them for praphanalia and super deals on close out strains. Same as they did with MMJ shops.
Loveland got reduced to one bigger one called "The Smithstonian" http://www.kushmagazine.com/componen...9-smithstonian

And the owner Gene (who's also a classic car guy) got very "proud" of his product and priced it accordingly. He thought he was the only game in town.
But yeah stalker, I'm making it up as I go. I don't really know anything about MMJ in Loveland or what my kids tell me.
So was it "the few that remained" that felt like they had a monopoly and the best stuff so they priced it accordingly, or was it the Smithsonian? Or both? I don't think anyone was questioning whether or not they went into dispensaries or whether or not they would frequent new ones if they opened up (presumably you're talking about commercial stores)...so I'm not sure why you're mentioning them.

Calling you on your BS doesn't make me a stalker.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #477
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
So was it "the few that remained" that felt like they had a monopoly and the best stuff so they priced it accordingly, or was it the Smithsonian? Or both?

Both. But in the end, I think only the Smithstonian was left standing. And maybe one other, but it was owned by the same guy/family.

The other reason I know about this (apart from my sons) is that a very close family friend is (was and will be again) in the business. He and his brother are growers and licensed MMJ operators. They did very well for themselves for a short while and made enough to purchase two nice homes (cash, as they literaly couldn't find a bank to finance them with their only source of income being legal MMJ sales revenues) and cars, etc.

Now for the past year, they have been black marketers. And they still do very very well. One of the two brothers is planning on dispersing his growing ops, continuing to buy from the "source" he's had for years that makes up for what he can't grow and then open up a store front or two in the area. He plans to "sell out the front to the new market and out the back to my regulars". Why pay taxes on it when he doesn't have to.

You can call me a liar, or say I made it up, but I literally just talked to the guy on Fri afternoon, and when his shop opens in a year or so, I'll give you the businesses name and address. He's a cool guy. And if I'm going to send business anywhere, it might as be to a friend of the family.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #478
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
So was it "the few that remained" that felt like they had a monopoly and the best stuff so they priced it accordingly, or was it the Smithsonian? Or both? I don't think anyone was questioning whether or not they went into dispensaries or whether or not they would frequent new ones if they opened up (presumably you're talking about commercial stores)...so I'm not sure why you're mentioning them.

Calling you on your BS doesn't make me a stalker.

No, it's all your other behavior that makes you a stalker.

And there was no BS either. I just had my annual BBQ, you coulda come up and visited with my boys. Ask them whatever weed questions you wanted. Try to corner them about whatever lies you think I fabricated. But there's always next year. Come on up and drink a few cold ones. I got nothing to hide.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #479
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
No, it's all your other behavior that makes you a stalker.
And what behavior would that be?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #480
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
And what behavior would that be?

Your constant quest for nude pics.

2004 DRZE