ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Amendment 64: The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act of 2012
Yes 102 73.91%
No 36 26.09%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #76
Udo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post
I could not care less about the tax or economic issues of marijuana.

I could not care less about the safety issues of marijuana

What I do care about is the government telling adults what they can or can not do to their own bodies. I'll vote "yes" for the simple fact that this is a step in a direction I like.

Freedom!
I'm hoping and voting to decriminalize it, but fear that the "War on Drugs" industry will win out again. There is a lot of money and power at stake here. The private prison industry is dependent on our courts giving it victims. The drug enforcement industry made up of piss testers, counselors, psychologists, drug testing kits, probation officers, court personnel, police officers and their informants, and others I haven't thought of are depending on the status quo not changing. We are doomed.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #77
Splisken
I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer: 127
In...I gave it a Yes vote. I'll also second the potential for industrial hemp in this state's economy...go Green!
Splisken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #78
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,186
My 70 year old mother is suffering from the advanced stages of parkinson's disease, without taking the time to quote percentages, more and more studies indicate that MJ could very well improve not only her symptoms but the effectiveness of her medications. She can barely walk, tremors, has a hard time feeding herself and her quality of life is a big fat zero. She will not try MJ because of the stigma society has placed on it. At this point I don't care about taxes, or school funding or state or federal legality, when society and our war on drugs has convinced an old woman that it would be wrong to ingest marijuana to keep her from vibrating in her chair, something is wrong.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #79
Skittles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
My 70 year old mother is suffering from the advanced stages of parkinson's disease, without taking the time to quote percentages, more and more studies indicate that MJ could very well improve not only her symptoms but the effectiveness of her medications. She can barely walk, tremors, has a hard time feeding herself and her quality of life is a big fat zero. She will not try MJ because of the stigma society has placed on it. At this point I don't care about taxes, or school funding or state or federal legality, when society and our war on drugs has convinced an old woman that it would be wrong to ingest marijuana to keep her from vibrating in her chair, something is wrong.
Why not just get her the federally accepted, prescribed medical marijuana? It's been proven effective and real pharmacies have had it behind the counter for years. The "mmj" crowd doesn't like it or want people know there is a legitimate form out there because it is a pill form that has had the THC removed. Those wanting it for recreational purposes like to claim it doesn't work or doesn't exist.
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #80
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
Why not just get her the federally accepted, prescribed medical marijuana? It's been proven effective and real pharmacies have had it behind the counter for years. The "mmj" crowd doesn't like it or want people know there is a legitimate form out there because it is a pill form that has had the THC removed. Those wanting it for recreational purposes like to claim it doesn't work or doesn't exist.
Thanks, I will look into it, didn't know anything about it.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #81
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
Don't think so.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #82
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
We need to pay more in taxes. It's a reality. Option b is returning to a 1940's system. Either way, anyone getting hung up on the tax issue is really is in that as a smoke screen for something else.
I guess you are for Option A then which is to continually restrict the capitalistic opportunities of the United States and live in a "nanny state" that the government is directing.

Do you work for the government? The average government worker is now paid more in wages and benefits than any private industry employee. Something like ~$67,000 per year. You are right in that the US needs to raise it tax rates because there is an enormous increase in government employees being hired daily. And, since the US government creates and produces absolutely nothing that generates revenues, it is only through taxation that they can continue to add all of those wonderful government jobs to the payrolls.

If you like the other countries of the world because they are so "nobly" providing for their residents through their high taxation rates, then please, feel free to move there.

Too bad this state has turned blue because I don't think it's history is built around people that think like you. It was built by hardworking independents that came here to start new lives through their independence and possibly create a better life for their families. Not add to the public coffers so that others can be lazy and benefit from their hard work or "cheat" the system.

If you had any kids that were in their 20's and were trying to make ends meet and forge a future for themselves, you may think differently. In fact if you haven't looked around, most everyone is trying to make ends meet. Have you asked yourself why that is? Most of the answers you will find will point back to problems with government involvement in our lives.

For the record I am against 64. It will happen eventually I believe, but I also don't believe we want to be the first state to approve it for a variety of reasons.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #83
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
The pharmaceutical companies won't lose a dime if this passes. Pharma companies don't compete against marijuana. Those who want Oxy go see their doctor and get Oxy. Those who want weed either get a a mmj card or they buy some nugs off their teenager. The pain management market is huge and most patients prefer both as they act very differently. There is and always has been a demand for pot and opiates.

Now if pot can cure erectile dysfunction, wrinkles, high blood pressure, onochomycosus, diabetes, enlarged prostrates and vaginal dryness, then the pharma industry might begin to get concerned. But trust me on this one, big pharma could care less about legalizing pot.
If marijuana became legal, I guarantee you a lot of people would stop using all sorts of pharmaceuticals, not based on science or doctor's recommendations...but based on their own perception of the benefits of their own use. According to the perceptions of many, many people, marijuana is potentially a replacement for all sorts of pill regimens. None of this may be supported by "the science" but the science is also funded by major medical and pharma companies.

Look at rat734's post.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #84
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

So because they didn't think they could make much money on marijuana...they won't stand to lose any money if marijuana becomes legal? That doesn't make sense.

Like I said, regardless of all the science, if marijuana were legal tomorrow quite a few people would be throwing some of their pill bottles in the trash (Parkinson's meds, cancer treatment meds, pain meds, etc.). That means big pharma losing a lot of money. A LOT of people subscribe to the idea that a plant, marijuana, has a higher perceived benefit-disadvantage ratio than the manufactured drugs of big pharma. And those same people aren't going to want to buy big pharma weed for the same reasons including all the GMO negativity surrounding patented organisms and the like.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #85
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Quote:
But the data has shown over and over again that the therapuetic value of MJ is relatively low. Patients on MJ claim they feel better (for short periods of time) yet they don't rate their actual pain scores any lower than placebo.
Source(s), please
Old 10-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #86
MeterPig
Meh

It's that kind of thinking that will further bankrupt this country. Not a single "conservative" can tell me how they would get out of this debt living. Instead they go on about "the country was found on this or that..blah, blah". I don't work for the government..but thanks.

So, back to, how do you propose to deal with our bankrupt spending situation? Details please.

I think it's pretty simple. The people have demanded a 4 trillion dollar government on a 2 trillion budget. It's time for taxes to double-plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post
I guess you are for Option A then which is to continually restrict the capitalistic opportunities of the United States and live in a "nanny state" that the government is directing.

Do you work for the government? The average government worker is now paid more in wages and benefits than any private industry employee. Something like ~$67,000 per year. You are right in that the US needs to raise it tax rates because there is an enormous increase in government employees being hired daily. And, since the US government creates and produces absolutely nothing that generates revenues, it is only through taxation that they can continue to add all of those wonderful government jobs to the payrolls.

If you like the other countries of the world because they are so "nobly" providing for their residents through their high taxation rates, then please, feel free to move there.

Too bad this state has turned blue because I don't think it's history is built around people that think like you. It was built by hardworking independents that came here to start new lives through their independence and possibly create a better life for their families. Not add to the public coffers so that others can be lazy and benefit from their hard work or "cheat" the system.

If you had any kids that were in their 20's and were trying to make ends meet and forge a future for themselves, you may think differently. In fact if you haven't looked around, most everyone is trying to make ends meet. Have you asked yourself why that is? Most of the answers you will find will point back to problems with government involvement in our lives.

For the record I am against 64. It will happen eventually I believe, but I also don't believe we want to be the first state to approve it for a variety of reasons.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #87
MeterPig
Meh

In other news, people are getting really hooked on prescription pain pills, dying, crashing....having their lives utterly ruined by Pharma pills.

Quote:
Your article proves my point exactly.
Big Pharma could have and would have brought a "pharmaceuticl grade" marijuana to market anytime it wanted to over the last 40 years. And someday they might do it. And it might be synthetic or it might be the organic version. Early ACE inhibitors were nothing more than snake venom. Actual snake venom. Pharma found sources for genuine snake venom and put it into delivery systems that were safe and effective for humans. They didn't need to synthisize anything in order to make a profit or hold a patten. Pharma can make money on organic compounds just like anyonje else.

But the data has shown over and over again that the therapuetic value of MJ is relatively low. Patients on MJ claim they feel better (for short periods of time) yet they don't rate their actual pain scores any lower than placebo.

If there was big money to be made in pharma grade MJ, the pharma companies would have been all over it decades ago. One thing Big Pharma is good at is identifying ways of making money, then making it.

So keep this scenario in mind: Let's say pot gets legalized in Colo or in all 50 states. Why would Big Pharma care? They'd just come out with their own strains that are FDA approved, side effect minimized, approved and embraced by your local doctor, AND on insurance formualry. Their marketing would ask the consumer to consider pharma grade, approved weed that they can get for a $15 co-pay, or trust some ditch weed being sold down the street by your kid's unemployed friend. That's how they'd market it.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #88
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

So you think Americans would be fine with having their taxes double?

Have you ever seen a riot?

On the other hand, Meterpig seems to understand what I'm saying about the public perception of Big Pharma and how the flood gates (negative feelings about pharma, positive feelings about weed) could burst open if marijuana was legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
In other news, people are getting really hooked on prescription pain pills, dying, crashing....having their lives utterly ruined by Pharma pills.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #89
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
So you think Americans would be fine with having their taxes double?

Have you ever seen a riot?

On the other hand, Meterpig seems to understand what I'm saying about the public perception of Big Pharma and how the flood gates (negative feelings about pharma, positive feelings about weed) could burst open if marijuana was legal.
It's going to happen at some point...or we go under. The laws of economics will win out at some point no matter who much we hope they will not.

Or we sell off California to China. I kind of like that idea too.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #90
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post
So no private industry employee makes over $67,000?? Really. That is why Utilities are loosing employee everyday to private industry. The water industry can't keep treatment operators. You might get $35,000 to $65,000 as a gov treatment job, but start at $90,000 at a oil company doing treatment with lower credentials. Water utilities cannot keep instrument techs because private industry pays way better. Where I work in the last 4 years we have had a position open for 3.5 of those years even with the unemployment.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote