User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
hammick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Fuzeblock electrical connection

I have researched fuse blocks and decided on the Fuzeblock FZ-1. Link Below.

The circuits are only 10a each. Is it possible to wire two circuits together to get more amps for heated gear? On the rare occasion that I would run my jacket, pants and gloves I would be at 13.1a on high.

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=pdm160
hammick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM   #2
udoggie
Top Dog

Oddometer: 64
Yes.

Just wire two of the circuits in parallel. You would then use a 10a fuse in each of the circuits. (or if you wanted to live on the edge, use 2 7.5a fuses.)

Make sure that you feed your fuzeblock with a fuse and wiring that can handle amperage to handle everything connected to it.

UD
udoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:13 AM   #3
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Oddometer: 320
Take the cover off and change the fuse to what ever value your wiring will handle for that circuit. Feed the block with a relay, you will have to find a high amp rated automotive relay and a trigger source that goes on with the ignition if you want it to go off and on with your ignition. Do some research and you will find all this.
Beecher Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM   #4
hammick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beecher Snipes View Post
Take the cover off and change the fuse to what ever value your wiring will handle for that circuit. Feed the block with a relay, you will have to find a high amp rated automotive relay and a trigger source that goes on with the ignition if you want it to go off and on with your ignition. Do some research and you will find all this.
The FZ-1 Has a 30a relay built in. Each of six circuits can be hot always or hot with ignition

My question involves wiring two of the six circuits in parallel to double the amps for a heated clothing lead. Each circuit is 10a max.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #5
Callisto224
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Or try this.

It already has 15amp circuits and has worked flawlessly on my 2009 12GS.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...PC-8/pc-8.html

2009 1200GS
Callisto224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #6
Callisto224
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Here it is installed in my tool tray. The relays are installed on the underside of the tray.

2009 1200GS
Callisto224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #7
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
The FZ-1 Has a 30a relay built in. Each of six circuits can be hot always or hot with ignition

My question involves wiring two of the six circuits in parallel to double the amps for a heated clothing lead. Each circuit is 10a max.
There is no need to wire two 10 amp circuits together to make a 20. Just remove a 10 amp fuse and install a 15 (or 20 for a horn) and you are all set.
Running two fuses in parallel has issues that if the fuses are not absolutely (very close) the same resistance, the lower ohm fuse will carry more current and be subject to failure. I like the factory installed relay. Makes a clean unit. Use 16ga. wire for your 15 amp circuit. Scotch cloth electrical tape is a very close match for the BMW cloth tape used on their wire harness.
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #8
mjr227
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I am also looking into buying a fuse block. The 3 I'm looking at are yours, the PDM 60 and the Denali powerhub 2. I'm not a electrical guy, I want to buy the best one, what's the concensus on the best fuse block? I have a 2015 GSAW. Thanks
mjr227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #9
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,110
I've heard nothing but good about the Eastern Beaver boxes but never used one. My so far favorite fuse boxes of which I've used a few are the BlueSeas boxes. I do like the looks of the EB ones though.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #10
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr227 View Post
I am also looking into buying a fuse block. The 3 I'm looking at are yours, the PDM 60 and the Denali powerhub 2. I'm not a electrical guy, I want to buy the best one, what's the concensus on the best fuse block? I have a 2015 GSAW. Thanks
If your into the cool tech stuff go with the PDM. You need to change settings via your laptop and their software.
I think simple is good. Something from easternbeaver or the one the OP is using seem just fine. I have an AP2, old model and it is okay, but I like the one with the built in relay.
Take a look here for a PDM on a GS.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928394

Beecher Snipes screwed with this post Yesterday at 01:54 PM
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM   #11
hammick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There is no need to wire two 10 amp circuits together to make a 20. Just remove a 10 amp fuse and install a 15 (or 20 for a horn) and you are all set.
Running two fuses in parallel has issues that if the fuses are not absolutely (very close) the same resistance, the lower ohm fuse will carry more current and be subject to failure. I like the factory installed relay. Makes a clean unit. Use 16ga. wire for your 15 amp circuit. Scotch cloth electrical tape is a very close match for the BMW cloth tape used on their wire harness.
I not sure about that. Manufacturer specifically says max for each circuit is 10a with 30a total for all six circuits. They state on their website that the current limitation is because of the compact size of the unit.

http://fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=5#faq10
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM   #12
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
I not sure about that. Manufacturer specifically says max for each circuit is 10a with 30a total for all six circuits. They state on their website that the current limitation is because of the compact size of the unit.

http://fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=5#faq10
You have purchased a unit that is not adequate for your needs. Would you wire your 30 amp drill press through two 15 amp circuit breakers. It is just not good electrical practice. I have done this in some power circuits. A SCR system I worked on once made DC from 3 phase AC, each leg of the incoming AC went through two 600 amp fuses. These were ultra fast silver element fuses that each had their ohms resistance printed on them to one hundreth of an ohm, they had to be installed in matching pairs. Not saying the bike is that critical. Go ahead you own it now but it is not good practice and if a circuit needs are more than the fuse block system can deal with then it is not the one you need.
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #13
hammick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You have purchased a unit that is not adequate for your needs. Would you wire your 30 amp drill press through two 15 amp circuit breakers. It is just not good electrical practice. I have done this in some power circuits. A SCR system I worked on once made DC from 3 phase AC, each leg of the incoming AC went through two 600 amp fuses. These were ultra fast silver element fuses that each had their ohms resistance printed on them to one hundreth of an ohm, they had to be installed in matching pairs. Not saying the bike is that critical. Go ahead you own it now but it is not good practice and if a circuit needs are more than the fuse block system can deal with then it is not the one you need.
Yes I realized that when I purchased it but the FZ-1 gets consistent five start reviews, allows for always on or switched power and is priced great. It is a very rare occasion that I wear the heated pants (only if I am on a long trip and temps dip into the 30s). I will probably just wire a Gerbings lead directly to the battery for my heated gear. My lighting needs are already covered with the stock led lights and running lights and I have already upgraded the horn which runs off the stock power leads. All my electrical connections to the Fuzeblock will be well under 10a

Thanks for all the advice.
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #14
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 219
FYI I have been running heated jacket, pants AND insoles through one circuit on the FZ-1 with no issues for quite some time.

Granted, I never feel the need to run all at full power, the pants get plenty hot on setting 2/5. Sometimes the jacket is maxed out though. You're worrying about nothing IMO.
Old Today, 12:06 AM   #15
hammick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
FYI I have been running heated jacket, pants AND insoles through one circuit on the FZ-1 with no issues for quite some time.

Granted, I never feel the need to run all at full power, the pants get plenty hot on setting 2/5. Sometimes the jacket is maxed out though. You're worrying about nothing IMO.
Good to know. 10a fuse on that circuit?