User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
boulderbobo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Staintune Exhaust on 2015 R1200GSw

Hi Guys, I now have had the bike for over 12 hours...so its time to start the mods. The first thing to go is the exhaust. If your not a pipe fan I understand, but these bikes come from the factory constipated. I'm not expecting much power gain just better sound and better breathing.

Does anyone out there have a full Staintune exhaust (headers + can) on their GSw?

If yes,

1. can you please tell me where you got it.
2. do you like it

I've seen the slip on can on the Pirate Lair website but am really interested in the full system.

I've had many many aftermarket pipes in the past (Staintune, Remus, Yoshamira, Two Brothers, Kerker) and I think like the audio out of the Staintune the best. I also like the Remus product, but was hoping to avoid the dreaded Remus drone on this bike.

Any alternative recommendations or suggestions are welcome.

I have read a shit ton about exhausts on this forum...so I'm not really that lazy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob-
2015 BMW R1200GS
boulderbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Akrapovic would be my suggestion. IMHO, best made pipe currently available. Remus fanboys will disagree.

In reality, you're going to have a hard act to follow with the stock system. The flappervalve is pretty key with regards to low end drivability (which is where we do most of our riding) and none of the full systems use it.
rdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
slowinfastout
Just Ridin' By....

Oddometer: 1,780
Staintune makes a beautiful system, I've had two: One on my Guzzi Daytona and the other on my Ducati Multistrada. Really tremendous. Having said that, I have a slip on Akrapovic (BMW branded HP2) on my '14 GS and its really just perfect. Right tone, very handsome, and it keeps the flapper valve. I bought mine from A&S cycle during their periodic 15% off sales they do during holidays, that makes that $ 1,350 price tag a bit more palatable.
slowinfastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
Staintune makes a beautiful system, I've had two: One on my Guzzi Daytona and the other on my Ducati Multistrada. Really tremendous. Having said that, I have a slip on Akrapovic (BMW branded HP2) on my '14 GS and its really just perfect. Right tone, very handsome, and it keeps the flapper valve. I bought mine from A&S cycle during their periodic 15% off sales they do during holidays, that makes that $ 1,350 price tag a bit more palatable.
Well then, the Staintune is the one I'd get.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 51,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcyclist View Post
Akrapovic would be my suggestion. IMHO, best made pipe currently available. Remus fanboys will disagree.

In reality, you're going to have a hard act to follow with the stock system. The flappervalve is pretty key with regards to low end drivability (which is where we do most of our riding) and none of the full systems use it.

Akropovic was designed with BMW assistance, and is the best, IF you want to get loud.

Performance gains are negligible.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
dnack
Rider

Oddometer: 6
I've had all three on BMW's and you can't go wrong with any of them. The difference is negligible. Get what you like.
Current 2012 R1200GS - Past '09 K1300S w/2D dash, '07 R1200S, '04 K1200GT, '02 Road Star Warrior 1700cc, '78 Norton 850 Commando, '75 Yamaha DT400, '78 Yamaha 650, '67 Ducati 250 Scrambler, "66 Honda 350 Scrambler, "65 Triumph 250 Scrambler, WWII Service cycle w/5 hp
dnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Akropovic was designed with BMW assistance, and is the best, IF you want to get loud.

Performance gains are negligible.
Jim, I'm going with the Akra header, is the flap valve part of the can or header? In other words, will I have the flap valve since I'm staying with the OEM can?
Old 01-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Jim, I'm going with the Akra header, is the flap valve part of the can or header? In other words, will I have the flap valve since I'm staying with the OEM can?
Typically the change is either the can or the whole system, I'm not sure if you keep the can and replace the header/cat. I would think so, but I can't say for sure.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Typically the change is either the can or the whole system, I'm not sure if you keep the can and replace the header/cat. I would think so, but I can't say for sure.
Did it before with my last hexhead. I guess I'll see but don't think it will be a problem.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
On the LC, the flapper is a part of the header/cat assembly. If you change just the can(muffler) you'll retain the flap/cat. If you change the header, you'll lose the flap/cat. On the Camhead, the flap was separate from both the header and the can so you could replace the header in some cases (I think the Remus allowed you to keep the flap) and not in others.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Telemarktumalo
Go Red Sox!

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Very interesting. Why are you changing the header but not the can?
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:40 AM   #12
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
I had the full Akra on my last GSW. It sounded fantastic, and seemed a bit more lively. On my GSAW I've just got the Akra end can. I'm slightly cautious about fitting the headers, as BMW squirmed over a warranty job on a pals bike, due to the headers, but in the end they paid out.

My bike has only done around 1300 miles, so I'm going to ride it for another 1000 or so, before deciding whether or not to get new headers for it, but if I do, it will be the Akra again.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:31 AM   #13
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
I wouldn't want my bike any louder or take the chance of making it drone. A drone noise at highway speeds gets irritating and fatiguing.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:45 AM   #14
slowinfastout
Just Ridin' By....

Oddometer: 1,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I had the full Akra on my last GSW. It sounded fantastic, and seemed a bit more lively. On my GSAW I've just got the Akra end can. I'm slightly cautious about fitting the headers, as BMW squirmed over a warranty job on a pals bike, due to the headers, but in the end they paid out.

My bike has only done around 1300 miles, so I'm going to ride it for another 1000 or so, before deciding whether or not to get new headers for it, but if I do, it will be the Akra again.
I had a full Remus on my last GS as well, and on my '14 just the Akra can and intend to leave it with the flapper valve and stock header with the cat in it. My tastes change in pipes as I get older, and I like them to be less noisy and run smoother. I don't need more power on the GSW, its plenty quick and rather enjoy the cleaner air it puts out with the cat intact, the bike is not as stinky dumping raw gas fumes out the back. Flapper valve is good because most of the cars on the road detest loud motorcycles - so no use irritating the general public (that's a mature viewpoint!). On my KTM 690 Enduro that I bought used, it had a very loud Leo Vince on it, I just pulled that off and put a much quieter WINGS pipe on it as well, dirt bikes need to be quieter so we maintain our riding privileges off road, and that's something I never would have been concerned about 25 years ago...
slowinfastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:46 AM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
I wouldn't want my bike any louder or take the chance of making it drone. A drone noise at highway speeds gets irritating and fatiguing.
This is the first BMW with a stock exhaust that I have had that I can actually hear the exhaust at 80MPH. It sounds like a WWII fighter at altitude just flying along. Kind of cool, nice enough sound accelerating. I would not want it louder, but that is just my opinion.