User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #1
Guitar1327 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Future GS buyer...

So, I'm hoping for some veteran advice here. I'm strongly considering selling several of the motorcycles I currently own to finance (in large part) the purchase of a newer model. I think it will be my 30th birthday present to myself. Presently, I own and intend to sell a 2007 VFR and a 2007 BMW G650 Xmoto and a project KLR600. I enjoy riding both bikes but neither are suitable touring bikes. Most of riding is commuting to work and then whatever I can muster on the weekends but I enjoy taking 300-500 mile weekend trips when possible. Ideally, I'd like to increase that distance.

I've been reading through these forums and there's clearly advantages to each year and model and I'm about 90% sold on getting another BMW after the Xmoto which was such a fun and well built motorcycle. But, I haven't yet ridden one and I'm wondering what other models you all would encourage me to consider. Or, conversely, why would you buy another GS and which would you choose if your budget limited you to $18,000 (14-16K would be my ideal price)? I'll be financing the difference of the purchase price and the cash from the bikes I'm intending to sell with a loan so full coverage insurance cost is a consideration. I'd be sold on a Multistrada if it wasn't made by Ducati... I'll be ridding almost 100% on the street. But I digress, make a believer?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Guitar1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #2
roborider
New River Roborider

Oddometer: 206
Buy a 1200 GS - maybe this one - GREAT buy!

I'm not a BMW "veteran", by any stretch.

I've been riding motorcycles for 40+ years, though, and after owning one HD, several Hondas and Suzukis (185cc through 1000cc), a Concours, a couple of KLRs, and others that I can't quite recall... I decided last summer to try a BMW.

I decided on an R1150GSA, since it seemed like a good price, fit my $6K budget, was "farkled" to my liking, and was a one-owner with 46K miles, and within driving/pickup distance.

I love it! It's taken some getting used to, and there are some interesting quirks in the 1150. Servo brakes make odd noises, transmission is a little clunky, turn signals are split with a button on both left and right for signaling, but a single cancellation button on the right (VERY weird!). But I like the way it handles, surprisingly nimble and manoeuvrable on dirt roads and mild offroad (I'm not brave or skilled enough to seriously offroad this thing - yet!)

I'm sure you'll get much more experienced riders with better and more thorough reasons for getting a GS. I simply like it - the feel, the ride, the handling - and the conversations that start up as a result of riding this beast somewhere!

So my advice is buy a 1200GS that has options you like, and just go for it. There are some great deals in the Flea Market, but the BEST buy is a 2011GS with 24K miles for ONLY $12,800 - check it out - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968551

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this bike or the owner, but it seems like a great deal, and if I were in the market....

But I have my own GSA that I love and will keep it for a little longer before I upgrade to the 1200. Here 'tis!

Good luck in your research, but as Nike would say "Just Do It!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1327 View Post
So, I'm hoping for some veteran advice here. I'm strongly considering selling several of the motorcycles I currently own to finance (in large part) the purchase of a newer model. I think it will be my 30th birthday present to myself. Presently, I own and intend to sell a 2007 VFR and a 2007 BMW G650 Xmoto and a project KLR600. I enjoy riding both bikes but neither are suitable touring bikes. Most of riding is commuting to work and then whatever I can muster on the weekends but I enjoy taking 300-500 mile weekend trips when possible. Ideally, I'd like to increase that distance.

I've been reading through these forums and there's clearly advantages to each year and model and I'm about 90% sold on getting another BMW after the Xmoto which was such a fun and well built motorcycle. But, I haven't yet ridden one and I'm wondering what other models you all would encourage me to consider. Or, conversely, why would you buy another GS and which would you choose if your budget limited you to $18,000 (14-16K would be my ideal price)? I'll be financing the difference of the purchase price and the cash from the bikes I'm intending to sell with a loan so full coverage insurance cost is a consideration. I'd be sold on a Multistrada if it wasn't made by Ducati... I'll be ridding almost 100% on the street. But I digress, make a believer?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #3
Guitar1327 OP
n00b

what a deal!

Wow, that's a nice bike and the price is very attractive... maybe i need to just think about getting the loan first and then selling the bikes!
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #4
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
I have been on BMW's since the 1980's. Based on what you said, which was not a lot. I am thinking a used F800 GS would be good for you. That bike handles well, has a lot of usable power, is within your price range and costs about half as much to insure as a 1200. I own both. But if you want more horse power than you can ever use, and a lot of bulk, and you want to pay up to the limit of what you can afford, get a 1150 or 1200 GS. Dave
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #5
Guitar1327 OP
n00b

F800gs

You're right, I didn't include a lot; I didn't want to end up writing a 10K character description of my riding habits and preferences. I like your point about the F800. I've considered that model as well and in truth the greatest attraction to the R1200GS over the F800 is the HP... I wonder if I would be disappointed coming from the VFR to the F800 with big windsail bags on it. I don't need to do 100 but having excellent power from 60-90 is something I wouldn't be willing to give up.

In a way I place the F800GS, both of the Triumph Tiger models, and the Super Tener into the same category... maybe it's just because they're parallel twins. IDK, like I said, I haven't ridden a single one of these bikes.

Seeing as you own both the R and the F, which one gets more miles and why? Which one would you rather blast down I-35 from MSP to STL on?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM   #6
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
100% street and 14-16k used?

A 2010-2012 Multistrada would be way more fun and nearly as comfortable as any GS. The performance of the Multi stomps the GS and will be thrilling compared to your VFR.

What's your concern with Ducati?

If you must have a BMW, anything other than the 1200 is going to be disappointing coming off a VFR. And 2010 or later 1200GS would be the best bet.
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:46 AM   #7
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
You're right, I didn't include a lot; I didn't want to end up writing a 10K character description of my riding habits and preferences. I like your point about the F800. I've considered that model as well and in truth the greatest attraction to the R1200GS over the F800 is the HP... I wonder if I would be disappointed coming from the VFR to the F800 with big windsail bags on it. I don't need to do 100 but having excellent power from 60-90 is something I wouldn't be willing to give up.

Seeing as you own both the R and the F, which one gets more miles and why? Which one would you rather blast down I-35 from MSP to STL on?

Thanks for the feedback!
Hey there. I own both 8GS and 1150GSA. I love my 8GS and that is why I didn't part exchange nor sell it and got a 1150GSA to do everything the 8GS can handle but doesn't do it well. The gas mileage on the 8GS is untoppable about 4,5l/100kms what ever that is in mpg, with the auxalairy fuel tank (+7l) I get about 450km-500kms with one fill up (total tank is 23l), with my GSA I get about 550Kms with 30liters... Well why did I buy the 1150? Doing a lot of highway, commuting, two up traveling. The 8GS is great for all that but not perfect and you need to spend about 2k$ to get it to perform the way you want it. The forks are rubbish, the rear suspension too soft, the seat a torture device and the windscreen... well what windscreen. I think you get my point. The engine is fantastic but I don't take it as reliable as the 1150GS or at least the access to the actual engine is more complicated. On a boxer you can do everything yourself. On the 8GS I do everything except for the valves and in less then 2 years I put 45000kms on it. Solo it's a blast but I think you will miss the lack of power at 90 mph, before that there is no problem but at 90mph the bars etc will start vibrating.

If you are ready to spend >20k$ on a GS but rather have something like the multristrada I'd wait until next year since BMW brings out something like the multistrada but the the engine of the 1000RR. You have 3 bikes, I think that you can wait that long. Taking that point I'd say that the 8GS isn't for you since it's more offroad oriented, then I'd take a closer look at the 658/7GS but same problem about farkling.

Cheers mate

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:59 AM   #8
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,315
My insurance from my F800GS was the same as my 1200GSA. the F800 has tubes and IMO, was one of the reasons I prefer tubeless for commuting. That and I got blown around a bit on the highway. Get a nail in a tubeless tire, and most likely it won't lose air. I just rode 40 miles on mine today with a nail in it. Worst case scenario, just put a plug in it and ride to your nearest dealer for a new tire. Get a nail in a tubeless tire and you'll be taking the wheel off the bike to swap out tubes IF you carry a spare. Also the lack of chain maintenance is great on the 1200. Not sure if you're set on BMW, but the new 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere would be in your price range. I demo'd one last weekend and they're very nice for the $$. I may be trading in my GSA for one at the end of the summer. They come standard with cruise control, electronic suspension or w/o if you want, traction control, ride by wire throttle, ABS, low maintenance shaft drive and Jap reliability for under $16K
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:30 AM   #9
mefly2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
... I like your point about the F800. I've considered that model as well and in truth the greatest attraction to the R1200GS over the F800 is the HP...
Don't forget the difference in chain vs shaft drive ...
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:43 AM   #10
guyfawkes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
if you intend to stay on pavement the 800 definitely isnt the way to go.
its a decent bike allright but they designed it with offroad riding in mind. the front is very soft and even on the adv. 800 the wind protection isnt really ideal. 21" front also sends a clear message imo.
guyfawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #11
jmm74
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi Guitar1237,

If you are looking for a second-hand bargain, then the 1200GS/GSA of 2011 is really worth having a look.

2 reasons:
1. this is the air-cooled version of the boxer at its best (I had a 2005 and then a 2011 model, trust me, the difference is BIG)
2. with the introduction of the liquid version AND the adverse effect of the EURO vs SWISS FRANC exchange rate, the catalogue prices of the new versions are quite lower than the older versions, and that is directly affecting the second-hand market. Of course, this point may not be valid in other countries, depending on local currency conditions.

If you want to go for the latest, which I tested, then you will find another world. I was amazed with the new 1200GS, again, the difference with the air-cooled version is spectacular!!!
Old Today, 09:12 AM   #12
Guitar1327 OP
n00b

Air cooled 1200

Thanks for all the good input on the 800 vs 1200, guys. I think you've confirmed most of my thoughts. The 2010-2012 air cooled is really the model I think I'm most apt to for, but I wasn't aware of a new I4 version coming out of bMW, that's a pretty exciting offering to me.
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #13
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Wow, that's a nice bike and the price is very attractive... maybe i need to just think about getting the loan first and then selling the bikes!
That's what I did. 2011 GSA, for $13,000 dollars, @ 3.9% at my bank. I sold the KLX, KLR and Concours for sale soon.
I want to keep my quad but this thing is so much fun I don't think I'll ride the quad much.

Old Today, 03:57 PM   #14
DRZBRI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Thanks for all the good input on the 800 vs 1200, guys. I think you've confirmed most of my thoughts. The 2010-2012 air cooled is really the model I think I'm most apt to for, but I wasn't aware of a new I4 version coming out of bMW, that's a pretty exciting offering to me.
I own an 08 r1200gs and have ridden an f800gs. The 800 didn't excite me very much. Don't get me wrong, nice bike, nice looking an comfy but the power delivery is so so at best. Also, when looking for used bmw bikes I saw way more 1200's in the market and the prices weren't much different actually I found many 1200's that were cheaper and better equipped than the few 800's that were for sale. Originally i was thinking 800 to save a few grand but found that at least when buying used the 1200's were more bike for the money. If you are going to be riding street only I would look at the r1200r or maybe a r1200rt. Or if you want something really cool try for the new R Nine T. Msrp is $15.5k so within your price range and so very beautiful but maybe less utilitarian than you are looking for. Also 2008 or newer buell ulysses is a great bike and fun to ride. It can be had for between $5k to $8k.

08 R1200GS
98 VTR1000f
07 DRZ400s
DRZBRI is online now   Reply With Quote