Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #1
Renegade_Azzy OP
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 398
New to BMWs, doing a fly and ride, what to look for?

I'm doing a fly and ride on this r1100GS: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005986

Im familiar with Suzukis and Hondas, but not zee Messerschmidt. What does one need to look out for? Ive perused the hall of wisdom, but nervous about things like final drives and locking rear brakes. Going to be an interesting run from Boston to Pittsburgh!
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,464
Likely have zero problems,since it was recently serviced(look at and hopefully get all the records,to be sure).
99 should be good year,most of the early 1200 problems worked out by then(I had a 99 RT)

Take a short test ride(hope that was part of the deal)to make sure everything is working as it should.
Test all controls,accessories,lights,etc before hitting the road.
The BMW ABS lights Flash in synch on startup and do not go out until you start rolling,if ABS lights alternate flashing,then something is wrong with system.
Hall sensor wiring on these models can be a problem,but you likely saw that in the HOW.Plan on doing the wiring upgrade as preventative maintenance.

TKCs are not the greatest on road tires and be cautious if you have not ridden knobbies on road,the handling will be different than most street tires.

Just take it easy,as you would with any new bike and ENJOY THE RIDE HOME

Jr356

JR356 screwed with this post Yesterday at 10:01 PM
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM   #3
Renegade_Azzy OP
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 398

I typically stick to road tires, and figured it might be an adventure (and a reason to find a powerline access road on the way home). I did see the hall effect thing, but thought it was on the 1150. Will go read again!