Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #1486
rfbarker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I added some Fastway pegs, through some junk in my new Kirk's Panniers, and went for a cruise into the hills.

rfbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #1487
sonarman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
installed Welding rod holder for tool container

Painted orange welding rod container black. Drilled a couple of holes in container for RIV nuts to attach aluminum sheet metal clamp on front of container.
Bent a piece of aluminum for rear clamps to attach to. Total cost about 15 dollars.
sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #1488
sonarman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
tool container pic

http://s1274.photobucket.com/albums/...ps09e843de.jpg
sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #1489
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Oddometer: 943
Seat number 4...

In my ongoing quest to find some long ride seat comfort on my bike I am now on to seat number 4. A quick recap:

1. Stock Seat. Ugh! Total plank and has me begging for mercy after 60 or so miles. Too hard and not wide enough for any decent support. YMMV.

2. Seat Concepts. This was my second seat with these guys, the last time I got them to redo my V-Strom seat. Better, but still too hard. A lot of that has to do with which foam they used depending on a person's weight. I went down about 30lbs after I purchased the new foam and cover from them so that didn't help but even so, I still could not get comfortable and it made me sit at an awkward angle. The best mileage I could do on it was around 80-90 miles before I had to get off.

3. Russell Day Long. People rave about these and in most cases I am guessing they are right to do so BUT...only as long as it is custom build to fit you. I bought a two seat set up from a fellow inmate and while the drivers seat had been made for someone my height, it still didn't suit me. It was way too tall for any kind of real confidence (especially off road) and no matter which setting I had it in (low or high) I could never sit in the right spot, rather it either had me too close to the tank or sitting right at the very back and then I would slide forward. Not the best looking seat out there.

4. Bill Mayer Saddle - custom made to fit me.

Yesterday I traveled out to Ventura and had the guys at Bill Mayer Saddles make me a seat based on my weight, height and where I wanted to sit on the bike. We picked an appropriate foam base for my weight which they fitted to my seat base and then they had me go take a ride on it. I ended up doing more than the 10-15 minute ride that they suggest, I went up the coast and did a 50 mile loop with this base just sitting on top of my plastic base and I was totally comfortable all the way. This was a good choice right out of the gate so when I got back they glued it down, sanded and then slightly re-shaped the foam base to my requirements. They then added a layer of "pillow topper" 10mm foam over the new foam base and then cut and stitched up a new vinyl cover in my choice of the basketweave style for the seat top. They also added an extra piece of foam under the front lip to help hide a slight gap between the seat and the tank. I have around 200 miles on it so far and it's a huge difference already. I sit in a different spot (further back right where I wanted to be placed) and the "dish" area is comfortable and supportive and takes the pressure off my "sit" bones, an area that has plagued me with most seats in the past. It's early days yet but so far I really like it and fingers crossed, I may have finally ended my seat search.

"Where do I go now that I've gone too far?"

My actor site: www.dazbyard.com

Daz the Aussie screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 03:59 PM
Daz the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #1490
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 809
What dis that fitted seat cost you in the end? Sargent offers a similar service
Old 06-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #1491
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
What dis that fitted seat cost you in the end? Sargent offers a similar service
It was less than the cost of the Sargent and I can go back after it breaks in to have any adjustments done if needed.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #1492
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 809
Thanks for the info. Might just have to go that route
Although its a bit far from Fl and Sargent is right here in Jacksonville.

seatec screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 06:53 PM
seatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #1493
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Thanks for the writeup, Daz.
I find it interesting that they have a ridge where the tailbone is, while the Saddleman seat has a groove, like a bicycle seat. I did order a Saddleman "Trek" but it didn't fit on my bike (Adventure Designs told me they got a bad lot, but refunded my credit card instead of sending me a seat from a new lot, so I still haven't tried one).
When I retire in a few years I may ride out to Ventura and give this a try, like the idea of custom fitting in person.
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #1494
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botch View Post
I find it interesting that they have a ridge where the tailbone is, while the Saddleman seat has a groove, like a bicycle seat. I did order a Saddleman "Trek" but it didn't fit on my bike (Adventure Designs told me they got a bad lot, but refunded my credit card instead of sending me a seat from a new lot, so I still haven't tried one).
When I retire in a few years I may ride out to Ventura and give this a try, like the idea of custom fitting in person.
Hey Botch, yep they do have a ridge but when you sit on the seat, you don't notice it at all and it puts zero pressure on the "boys" LOL.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #1495
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botch View Post
I have the Saddlemen seat on mine. I like it but I'm a very heavy man and it's a bit spongy for me. They use gel foam as a top layer and I believe for my weight (I'm over 300 lbs) it is too soft. I've talked to other people who've used the seat (all of them are much lighter than I am, probably around 200 lbs or less) and they are very satisfied with the comfort level.

I bought my GSA used and it came with a Sargent seat made for the previous owner. I can say the Saddlemen seat (for me) was much better than the Sargent seat...
Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #1496
beewerks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I got my PIAA 520 ATP lights installed a couple days ago. I decided to build my own bracket to mount them since I didn't want to shell out $100 plus. I built mine for about $5 in parts. Aluminum bar stock, two stainless pieces of pipe for standoffs, two extended length metric screws for the radiator, and lock washers. Last of all spray it down with Rustoleum. They look pretty good IMO, though I'm not sure if I should have got a longer piece of aluminum so they are spaced farther apart.

'04 Honda Nighthawk 250
beewerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #1497
rgb2cmyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Tcat

I installed a standard Seat Concepts seat, and then left and did 10 days and 2500 miles of the TCAT route through Quebec.

I'll write up a review when I get a chance.

Now it's time for the 6000 mile service, lots of cleaning, and a mallet to get the left Jesse back into shape
09 R1200 GSA (Totaled by SS Sandy)
06 Husky TE450, 04 R1100s BCR, 03 F650CS
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #1498
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb2cmyk View Post
and a mallet to get the left Jesse back into shape
I think we need the story that goes along with this comment.

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #1499
tps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
I think we need the story that goes along with this comment.
http://www.drysideriders.com
tps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #1500
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,718
Changed oil and tranny (18,000mi service), installed Machineart Moto cylinder head covers (these thing are really nice and cover 80% of your jugs), Touratech fork leg protectors and Wunderlich crashbar bags.

Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote