Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #1696
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,037
Gateway, in St. Louis. I highly recommend him. I bought a used bike no warranty, yet a month after buying it, Honz helped me out tremendously. Final drive arrived today.

Tonights project is to install this.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE

wswartzwel screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 07:24 AM
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #1697
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
Let us know what you think of the placement of your highway pegs... I have mine there and they are way too high for me. I have not moved them as of yet, as I've been busy...
I have mine there, too. I think they're almost perfect for being up front. I'll put my heels on top of them for extra stretch. They helped me ride 835mi in 15 hours last Saturday. The Sargent seat helped too
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #1698
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post
Gateway, in St. Louis. I highly recommend him. I bought a used bike no warranty, yet a month after buying it, Honz helped me out tremendously. Final drive arrived today.

Tonights project is to install this.
I stopped in Gateway two years ago at 9:00 AM on one hot friggin' morning needing new tires. This tall dude cruises up to my laden NC-tagged GSA and said, "Hey, you look like you need something." I smiled and said, "Yup, tires." Bob Honz said, "Well, I know these guys so maybe I can help you." He held the door for me as we walked into the service area and he kinda yelled, "Traveler . . . . tires." I waited nearly five minutes before my bike was on the lift. Hour and a half later, I was enjoying triple digit heat as I passed the Arch.

Great service at Gateway!!!! Bob Honz is a great guy.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #1699
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Hope so.... they shipped me the wrong final drive

They sent me the later model version.. speed sensor is not compatible with my bike. waiting for them to open so I can see how to handle this. Just did a parts check through Drew at Max BMW.. there are none of the right units in the states, and only one in Germany. Looks like My trip to Colorado next week with the wife is cancelled...

Edit

He is going to pull the final drive off a bike he has in inventory for me to use, until he can get the right one from Germany, :)

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE

wswartzwel screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 08:10 AM
Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #1700
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post
Hope so.... they shipped me the wrong final drive

They sent me the later model version.. speed sensor is not compatible with my bike. waiting for them to open so I can see how to handle this. Just did a parts check through Drew at Max BMW.. there are none of the right units in the states, and only one in Germany. Looks like My trip to Colorado next week with the wife is cancelled...
I was in Denver once upon a time and the crankshaft sensor went out on my K12GT the day before my wife and I were to leave on a two-week vacation. I contacted the guys at Tour Bikes, http://www.tourbikes.com/bikes.html. I had a great experience with their company.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #1701
legasea
Ape on wheels

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Been there

"Got you, horned's grandpa".
Seeing yours, consider I could be a bit more patient. But it was a fight to get it. So hot, so sleepy, almost out of gas, dead camera battery...

It's God's fault if atheism is growing
legasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #1702
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Nicely done! (you used a different camera for each shot)

If 666 is evil, is 26.83 the root of all evil?
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #1703
squatch.f22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Added a Sargent seat today. Can't wait to get out and try it!

Before:

After:

- Justin
2013 1200 GSA
squatch.f22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #1704
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
Bash Plate reinforcement

Does anyone know anything about this Touratech bash plate reinforcement? I have the TT bash plate on my 2012 GS and was looking at this as well but have not heard anyone even mention it. Does anyone have this on their bike? If so what are the opinions of the need for more protection?

Thanks!!
10Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #1705
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch.f22 View Post
Added a Sargent seat today. Can't wait to get out and try it!

- Justin
2013 1200 GSA

Mine took a few hundred miles to break in.... Now it is an al day saddle!

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #1706
dch
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 357
Puttin new tars on the GS. Here is my method for gettin both wheels off at the same time. A concrete anchor in the garage floor, a couple of soft ties and a come a long. I've used this setup on two LT's and two FJR's, never had a problem.

dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #1707
mow0709
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Done with modifications ready to ride

Leaving Saturday AM for my big adventure for this summer, riding the CDR, Glacier National and heading back east through Canada. And have finally finished all mods to the bike (I hope)

Today moved the GPS mount to the bar on the windscreen rather than the handlebar. The Double Take mirrors were also just installed a couple of days ago.

George at Beemers Uber Alles took care of getting the wiring nightmare that had existed prior to when I bought this bike back under control. Installed a Centech fuse block, moved the Power Commander below the fuse block and installed a new aux power port as the Canbus didn't like it when I tried to use the Cycle Pump with everything else that was hooked up

A few weeks ago did all the below mods...turn signals were a nightmare!!

Installed AltRider headlight guard and small LED turn signals from Touratech. Great product just difficult to get resistor and all other wiring cleanly installed.

Bike had come with Hepco-Becker crashbar. After purchase and looking more closely really wasn't happy with how the mounts on the upper part of the engine block were only held on by an M8 bolt and were right next to the oil line. So decided to go with AltRider upper and lower crashbars as well as bashplate. Have tested them twice they work great

AltRider injection and potentiometer protection....hope these never get tested but there just in case.

AltRider sidestand enlarger and Pivot Pegz.

Also put on a SW-Motech bashplate for the centerstand to protect the back of the bike.

Other mods completed recently put on Barkbusters, an BMW Adventure windscreen and took the TKC's off given I've got a couple thousand miles of slab before I get to the CDR.

Took a spin up on Flag Pole a few weeks ago with the pig she performed flawlessly.

Load her up tomorrow, good night sleep and then head west!!!
mow0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:23 AM   #1708
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by mow0709 View Post
Leaving Saturday AM for my big adventure for this summer, riding the CDR, Glacier National and heading back east through Canada. And have finally finished all mods to the bike (I hope)

Today moved the GPS mount to the bar on the windscreen rather than the handlebar. The Double Take mirrors were also just installed a couple of days ago.

Load her up tomorrow, good night sleep and then head west!!!
A friend of mine and I did virtually the same ride in 2008. 7300 miles in 16 days and had a great time!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #1709
mow0709
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
A friend of mine and I did virtually the same ride in 2008. 7300 miles in 16 days and had a great time!

Jim
How was your ride back east through Canada? Was going to pretty much wing it but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
John

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
mow0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #1710
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by mow0709 View Post
How was your ride back east through Canada? Was going to pretty much wing it but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
John

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
The midwest of Canada is like our midwest this time of year, hot and fairly dry, though a bit cooler. 90% of the Canada leg is beautiful, nice roads and good drivers. Beware that gas prices there are high, and speed limits lower, and the police are a bit more agressive on enforcement, but otherwise it was pretty great! If you basically follow my route you will not be disappointed.

Oh, one last thing, this is construction season, so do not be surprised to see a fair bit of it, even 10+ mile stretches of highway with nothing but dirt on them as they repave.

As for accomodations, that is not an issue. There are plenty of inexpensive hotels along the way.

Check out my trip report, pardon the missing early couple of days: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Trip_2008.html

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote