Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #1756
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
Your bike sits unplugged for 1 week, the battery dies, dealer says battery is ok and you shrug it off? What made your battery die in one weeks time? Seems to me that something's wrong here. What's drawing your battery down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Agreed!

I bet the battery is NOT good. I have seen dealers do this before. They pop the seat, test it at rest, get 13 volts and pronounce the battery good. No load test at all.

Jim
I did not just shrug it off... I believe my Dispatch 1 (mega farkle that I'm not very happy with...) crashed the last time I rode it and it stuck on, instead of powering down when the bike powers down, causing the drain on the battery. (This has happened to me before, but I noticed it right away and had to open the box under the seat and pull the main fuse to get it to shut down...) My GPS battery was also completely dead, as if it was on the whole time.

As for the dealer, I watched him put the BMW battery tester on it with the bike off, run it through its test cycle, and say the battery was good. Then, I started the bike and the process was repeated, again saying it was good. Voltage on my Dispatch 1 display as well as the BMW battery tester was between 14.3V and 14.5V at idle, to which he stated was a bit high, but still good... With the bike off, battery voltage was in the low 13's, that is after I rode the 95 miles to get there.

If the battery exhibits any more issues, I'll ask the dealer to replace it under warranty.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #1757
lowsid3r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Rewired my gps to the battery. Waiting on hids to come in the mail.

And on another bike took apart the carbs cleane them as cleaned the old gas out.
lowsid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #1758
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,887
I installed a set of PIAA horns, a 400Hz and a 500Hz. 115db. Loud.

Pictures to follow...
Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #1759
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post

If the battery exhibits any more issues, I'll ask the dealer to replace it under warranty.
My dealer wouldn't replace mine until their machine said it was bad. I had problems with mine for about a month, due to a suspected bad cell, but it tested ok at the dealer. They told me I would basically have to have the battery completely fail on me before it would be replaced. I eventually broke down out of town, but had jumper cables with me to get up and running. I rode straight to the dealer and they tested it (bad) and put a new one in. It was less than 2 years old. The replacement started doing the same thing about a month ago and I installed an Odyssey instead. I was riding the CDR so didn't want to be stranded. The AZ heat kills these batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #1760
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
I did not just shrug it off... I believe my Dispatch 1 (mega farkle that I'm not very happy with...) crashed the last time I rode it and it stuck on, instead of powering down when the bike powers down, causing the drain on the battery..
I've never heard of the Dispatch 1 before. The link on your signature line sure is handy to find information on your farkles.

That thing looks pretty amazing, as long as it works as advertised. You say you aren't very happy with it. Other than the crash it had on you what else makes you frown when you look at it?

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #1761
RallyeX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Took some pictures after I installed my new Garmin 665 and Touratech windscreen frame bracket for the GPS.

RallyeX

RallyeX screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 10:02 PM
RallyeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #1762
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
I've never heard of the Dispatch 1 before. The link on your signature line sure is handy to find information on your farkles.

That thing looks pretty amazing, as long as it works as advertised. You say you aren't very happy with it. Other than the crash it had on you what else makes you frown when you look at it?
Thank you...

As for the Dispatch 1, here is a brief summary I wrote some time back to another inmate who was asking about it... For reference, I have 2 other BMW motorcycles, one with the Centech AP-1 and automotive relay, the other with a terminal strip and automotive relay I bought at Radio Shack for less than $15... Both of these set-ups have done exactly what their intended function is since their installations. I cannot say the same for the Dispatch 1.

"I actually do not like the D1... It is cumbersome, ill conceived, and buggy... I may replace it before my trip to Alaska, since I've been having trouble with battery life, fuses mysteriously blowing, crashing... The USB ports are useless to me, 3 of them beneath the seat is just stupid. The way you have to splice the plugs to anything you want to attach is another stupid idea... The only thing that it does that my other bike's setups don't do is modulate the aux LED light bar I have. The voltage display is nice...

I have been contemplating a negative review of the product on advrider.com, but in a way feel compelled not to. I bought my D1 system from rocketmoto.com, at about 1/2 price. When I noticed it did not have any serial number stickers attached, I phoned Aboreal Systems and asked if I had bought a stolen or counterfeit. He told me it may have just been an early model and told me to send it back to him to have it verified. It turned out that it was one of the first systems produced, and needed to be updated. He then told me he could not update it because so many changes had been made and sent me an entirely new system. So, you see, I feel like I got the newest system for 1/2 price and therefore, can put up with some of the quirks. I still don't like it..."
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #1763
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

As promised, crappy cell phone images of my PIAA horns, installed. One side looks a lot like the other. One side is a 400Hz and the other is a 500 Hz. Little deflectors in front of the horn outlet to minimize crap in there.

About $50 off Amazon. I ordered them Saturday morning, they showed up at the house yesterday. They are loud enough to hurt my ears and I'm hearing impaired. I have not had an chance to use them in flight yet.

Loud,
Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #1764
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
As promised, crappy cell phone images of my PIAA horns, installed. One side looks a lot like the other. One side is a 400Hz and the other is a 500 Hz. Little deflectors in front of the horn outlet to minimize crap in there.

About $50 off Amazon. I ordered them Saturday morning, they showed up at the house yesterday. They are loud enough to hurt my ears and I'm hearing impaired. I have not had an chance to use them in flight yet.
Time for me to put something like this on. Yesterday was attempted motor pinball. First a commuter van decided it needed my lane, whether I had it or not. A few miles later a wonderful young lady decided she needed to go from the onramp to the number one lane in one movement, regardless if I was already there. I really wanted to reach out and kick her driver door as she came over, but thought better of it, especially at freeway speed.

Did you leave the stock horn and tap these into that line?
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #1765
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Thank you...

As for the Dispatch 1, here is a brief summary I wrote some time back to another inmate who was asking about it... For reference, I have 2 other BMW motorcycles, one with the Centech AP-1 and automotive relay, the other with a terminal strip and automotive relay I bought at Radio Shack for less than $15... Both of these set-ups have done exactly what their intended function is since their installations. I cannot say the same for the Dispatch 1.

"I actually do not like the D1... It is cumbersome, ill conceived, and buggy... I may replace it before my trip to Alaska, since I've been having trouble with battery life, fuses mysteriously blowing, crashing... The USB ports are useless to me, 3 of them beneath the seat is just stupid. The way you have to splice the plugs to anything you want to attach is another stupid idea... The only thing that it does that my other bike's setups don't do is modulate the aux LED light bar I have. The voltage display is nice...

I have been contemplating a negative review of the product on advrider.com, but in a way feel compelled not to. I bought my D1 system from rocketmoto.com, at about 1/2 price. When I noticed it did not have any serial number stickers attached, I phoned Aboreal Systems and asked if I had bought a stolen or counterfeit. He told me it may have just been an early model and told me to send it back to him to have it verified. It turned out that it was one of the first systems produced, and needed to be updated. He then told me he could not update it because so many changes had been made and sent me an entirely new system. So, you see, I feel like I got the newest system for 1/2 price and therefore, can put up with some of the quirks. I still don't like it..."
I have had good luck with my Dispatch 1. I have noticed it shuts down when it gets really hot out and the unit is sitting in the sun cooking. I do agree the USB ports under the seat are a bit useless. I am trying to come up with a waterproof bracket so I can use them. I know I can buy USB ports, but already have this and feel like I need to make it work. I wish I got mine at 1/2 price!
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #1766
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Nope, that got snipped long ago when I did the first dual horn swap. The stocker is useless for anything other than making noise in a showroom, thus satisfying the admin that the rider is safe from incroachment, (guess not so much huh?). Doesn't even weigh enough to use as a fishing weight. the odd shape makes it sail funny too.

Surf fishing... Not enough chrome to use as a bass plug. Or Ebay it to the chrome toilet crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenslair View Post
Time for me to put something like this on. Yesterday was attempted motor pinball. First a commuter van decided it needed my lane, whether I had it or not. A few miles later a wonderful young lady decided she needed to go from the onramp to the number one lane in one movement, regardless if I was already there. I really wanted to reach out and kick her driver door as she came over, but thought better of it, especially at freeway speed.

Did you leave the stock horn and tap these into that line?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #1767
Ridestrong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Agreed!

I bet the battery is NOT good. I have seen dealers do this before. They pop the seat, test it at rest, get 13 volts and pronounce the battery good. No load test at all.

Jim
Yep, just replaced my battery a month ago. It stranded me (for an hour waiting for roadside service). Went to one autho. dealer and they told me battery fine. A week later, same problem. Took it to another autho. dealer and it wouldn't hold a load, though it showed 12.5+ volts.
Ridestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #1768
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 5,892
Quote:
I've always gotten at least 42-43 MPG, even at high speeds with my saddle bags on.

On a recent trip of 500 miles each way, all 80mph freeway, I got 48mpg average on my R1200GS with bags and my fat ass.

I only use regular gas unless I am doing a lot of low speed, high heat, riding.

Jim
That's about 6 mpg better than my 07 GSA. What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #1769
Ride4Coffee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyeX View Post
Took some pictures after I installed my new Garmin 665 and Touratech windscreen frame bracket for the GPS.
My 376c died on the first day of my SaddleSore/excursion to Nova Scotia. So, now I'm looking at the 665. Where'd you mount the xm antenna? How do you like the performance? Is it as buggy as people complain about?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #1770
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride4Coffee View Post
My 376c died on the first day of my SaddleSore/excursion to Nova Scotia. So, now I'm looking at the 665. Where'd you mount the xm antenna? How do you like the performance? Is it as buggy as people complain about?
Here's where I mounted my 665 antenna three years ago:

My zumo has been superb. Occasionally, it doesn't want to boot up and requires a hard reset. Remove the battery and hold down the power button for a few seconds and all is well again. This has happened five or six times since I've owned it. I know I wasn't supposed to position the antenna that close to the unit but functions fine.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote