Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #1936
Trekka273
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
After a long wait (a little over two months), last weekend I was finally able to pickup my bike after the long wait for repairs after coming together with a kangaroo. The weather here sice I got it home has been terrible, so apart from riding it almost 100 km home from the repair shop I have spent the past week doing some work on it. Gone are the Vario panniers, replaced by GSA racks and panniers. I will also be replacing the Vario top box with a GSA unit as well. In addition to that, I have added a Touratech rear brake pedal extension, headlight protector and GPS above the instruments bracket. The lockable mount for the Zumo 660 should be here on Tuesday, and the headlight glare shield, which is on backorder, should be another week or two. I had Dale from DMME make a wiring loom for my UHF setup, so I have installed that, making a small bracket that mounts just near the OEM 12 volt plug, so when I ride the cord runs from the rear of my helmet to the plug mounted just behind me, so from testing it in the garage I think it will work well, though open to moving it if need be. I also installed a new battery as the old one was getting ordinary before the accident and was lucky to stay charged for 4 or 5 days.

The repair shop did a great job! The damage was very extensive, though thankfully mostly cosmetic, no structural damage. But the quality of repairs and attention to detail has K.A looking an absolute treat. I also purchased a new tent and sleeping bag yesterday for a big trip to Tasmania that we have planned for February. Hopefully the weather improves in the next few days the weather will improve and I can get out on her, but right now I am just happy to have her home sitting in my garage.
Trekka273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #1937
EODMatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Mounted my last new knobbie on the rear..put on about 300 miles with the wife..surpassed 100,000 miles on GS's today..woot!
Congrats!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
EODMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #1938
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka273 View Post
After a long wait (a little over two months), last weekend I was finally able to pickup my bike after the long wait for repairs after coming together with a kangaroo.
That's not something you hear about every day!

Yesterday, I installed the Nightrider XIED and finallly installed the Touratech chingadera for the front brakeline. Haven't had a chance to ride yet, so no comment on the XIED for now, other than to say it appears very well made and was simple to install.

When I installed the TT Hard Part for the telelever arm, I could not install the brake line chingadera with it because the bolt holding the brake line holder to the forks would not budge and the 3mm allen quickly stripped out. I had to use my Dremel to cut a slice in the bolt head and used a flat blade screwdriver and finally remove it. Sorted!! No more brake line squishing.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #1939
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,865
Awesome!

Quote:
Mounted my last new knobbie on the rear..put on about 300 miles with the wife..surpassed 100,000 miles on GS's today..woot!
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #1940
Trekka273
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
That's not something you hear about every day!

Thankfully not!! Hopefully it is not something that i come across again either, it wasn't the way i had been planning my weekend away on the bike, I only ended up getting about 5-10 minutes away from home beofre it happened so it put a very early end to my trip.

I had been planning to install the BMW LED indicators on the bike at some stage, so after having two of them smashed off by the kangaroo it was a good chance to do that. They look so much nicer than the stock indicators and they are very bright.
Trekka273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #1941
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
They sell "deer whistles" here in the US, they mount to the bike, facing forward into the breeze and make a sound as you're riding that's supposed to ward off deer. Wonder if they'd work for 'roos?

For that matter, I wonder if they actually work on deer?
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #1942
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botch View Post
Well, ask yourself...

Do you think they make any noise?
Do you think deer can hear the noise they might make?
Do you think any noise they make is louder than the noise of your bike?
Do you think a deer hearing the noise will be frightened?
Do you think a frightened deer will run *away* from you?

Then you can answer the question yourself.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #1943
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
They sell "deer whistles" here in the US, they mount to the bike, facing forward into the breeze and make a sound as you're riding that's supposed to ward off deer. Wonder if they'd work for 'roos?

I've had them on my GSA since purchasing it back in January... I can say I've seen lots of deer in the 10,000 miles riding since purchasing it but never had one run out in front of me... I did have one standing in the middle of the road when I came around a corner at night, and it ran off, but I'm not sure if it was the whistle or not... For $6 a set, it's cheap insurance and they are not going to break the bank if it's all hooey either... I'm one of those guys who doesn't want to explain how I hit a deer and did not have the f'n things installed...
Old 08-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #1944
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Probably as well as the green light magnets.

http://www.thevog.net/forum/thread/3...t-by-fred-rau/
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #1945
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

On Tuesday, I flew out to California (from Peoria, Illinois) for a job interview, flying back on Thursday. After arriving back in Peoria where I'm staying, I unpacked my stuff, loaded up the GSA, and rode to southern Illinois, where on Friday morning, I had another round of testing for a different job I'm trying to get. The ride was about 170 miles, door to door... Nice ride, but all superslab...

On Saturday, after loading the GSA in preparation to leave the hotel in Collinsville, Illinois (near St. Louis), the GSA was hesitant to start, but eventually caught and stayed running. The battery voltage was low again, this time only after 2 days... I again suspect a bad battery...

So, I ride over to Gateway BMW in St. Louis and have them check out the battery. After numerous checks and a complete charge from 75% to full, the battery is deemed good. The tech suspects it is a parasitic draw from my farkle controller, the Dispatch One. At this point, I'm agreeing with him. The controller will be replaced with a Centech AP-1 as soon as I can acquire one and the Dispatch One will be returned for service...

While at Gateway BMW, I bought some stickers while I was waiting...

The STL & BFE stickers...

I love this one...

I did not get this one at first, but I get it now...

Dirt references...

After installing the new stickers, and with the battery fully charged and checked out, I set out for Peoria, but this time, I took the Great River Road along the Mississippi River for about 50 miles north, then headed north east for the rest of the ride along the Illinois River... Very nice day for a ride and a nice route as well... much better than I-55 and I-155 superslabs...
Old 08-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #1946
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
After installing the new stickers, and with the battery fully charged and checked out, I set out for Peoria, but this time, I took the Great River Road along the Mississippi River for about 50 miles north, then headed north east for the rest of the ride along the Illinois River... Very nice day for a ride and a nice route as well... much better than I-55 and I-155 superslabs...
I must ask..how did you ride Washington..as evidenced by your color map..but not Oregon or Idaho to get there?

Voo Doo?
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #1947
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Quote:
I must ask..how did you ride Washington..as evidenced by your color map..but not Oregon or Idaho to get there?

Voo Doo?
and yet, you did not notice that I had done the same in NY state and Vermont...

When I was in the Navy, back in the day, I bought my first motorcycle in upstate New York, a 1987 Yamaha FZ-600. I rode it all over upstate NY and over to Vermont a bunch of times to visit a friend of mine living over there. I even rode it to Americade in 1987. I think I was the only sport bike there at the time...

Then, I was transferred to the west coast, to Bremerton Washington, and the Navy moved me out there. I rode all over Washington, but eventually needed the money so I sold the bike before I got out...

Does this answer your question?...
Old 08-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #1948
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,861
Quote:
and yet, you did not notice that I had done the same in NY state and Vermont...

When I was in the Navy, back in the day, I bought my first motorcycle in upstate New York, a 1987 Yamaha FZ-600. I rode it all over upstate NY and over to Vermont a bunch of times to visit a friend of mine living over there. I even rode it to Americade in 1987. I think I was the only sport bike there at the time...

Then, I was transferred to the west coast, to Bremerton Washington, and the Navy moved me out there. I rode all over Washington, but eventually needed the money so I sold the bike before I got out...

Does this answer your question?...
No..I didn't notice.. of course, I'm also slightly PUI and have delicious brisket smoke in my eyes..

Actually figgerd you flew and rented..

Hey..thanks for your service!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #1949
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
I packed her for an 0530 launch east. 3,500 mile loop to the East Coast and back. A Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway on the way home.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #1950
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,388
Quote:
On Tuesday, I flew out to California (from Peoria, Illinois) for a job interview, flying back on Thursday. After arriving back in Peoria where I'm staying, I unpacked my stuff, loaded up the GSA, and rode to southern Illinois, where on Friday morning, I had another round of testing for a different job I'm trying to get. The ride was about 170 miles, door to door... Nice ride, but all superslab...

On Saturday, after loading the GSA in preparation to leave the hotel in Collinsville, Illinois (near St. Louis), the GSA was hesitant to start, but eventually caught and stayed running. The battery voltage was low again, this time only after 2 days... I again suspect a bad battery...

So, I ride over to Gateway BMW in St. Louis and have them check out the battery. After numerous checks and a complete charge from 75% to full, the battery is deemed good. The tech suspects it is a parasitic draw from my farkle controller, the Dispatch One. At this point, I'm agreeing with him. The controller will be replaced with a Centech AP-1 as soon as I can acquire one and the Dispatch One will be returned for service...

While at Gateway BMW, I bought some stickers while I was waiting...

The STL & BFE stickers...

I love this one...

I did not get this one at first, but I get it now...

Dirt references...

You are missing this one:

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote