Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #2146
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
You did a very nice job with that but I want to ask you: at night when those LEDs are on is someone coming at you able to see your turn signals? I always get concerned when bright LED lights are so close to turn signals that they may cause oncoming traffic to be unable to notice you turning. please be sure of that for your own safety
The distance from these to the turn signals is larger than for lights mounted from a bar under the beak. Also, aren't we all less worried about our own turns, and more about other people turning into our path? In my first week of owning this bike I got to test the ABS twice because of casual left turners. Riding with high beam on ever since.

But it's a good point. Maybe it's time for another night time pic...
Here we go:

Gruesome screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 09:24 PM
Gruesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #2147
gofargogo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Finally got my engine swap project buttoned up, and all the wires routed correctly* to start the bike and take it to the gas station. A bunch of little issues remain, but at least it's in one piece more or less, and running on the road.
gofargogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #2148
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouros View Post
Could you kindly provide a link to the Angel Eye (the new one you have)? Thanks in advance.
-Kouros
This is the one I fitted

http://dx.com/p/sencart-5w-1100lm-75...-12-24v-179802

This is the nicer looking one but I still need to find a way to dim it

http://dx.com/p/95mm-66-smd-3528-led...v-2-pcs-157574

(this link is for the 95mm one, can't seem to find the link to 90mm that I bought from them)
By the way, it is great company to do business with

I GS 1 screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 01:06 AM
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #2149
Lawmeister
Long time lurker

Oddometer: 22
Thumb PowerHub, USB Hub, and Denali D2's

I installed the TwistedThrottle PowerHub under the seat of my '08 R12GS:

Then added the a dual USB weatherproof handlebar mounted hub (blue glow):

and finally mounted the TT Denali D2 aux LED lights (with high/low beam tie-in) to my upper crash bars (light controller and excess wiring/connections squeezed under tool tray):

All in preparation for a few thousand km run through southern BC and northern Wash State next week.
'98 Suzuki DR350SE
Lawmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #2150
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawmeister View Post
I installed the TwistedThrottle PowerHub under the seat of my '08 R12GS:

Where are you getting your switched power to the hub? I don't see one running to the usual diagnostic green/blue.

Ps: weather should be great for your ride, perfect time of year with considerably less holiday traffic.
LVGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #2151
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruesome View Post
Good to know about the peeling (or lack thereof). Our under-the-counter kitchen strips (same LEDs) have been up for over a year, but are less exposed to the elements.
Strips + turn signals: you could wire them so they alternate with your turn signals, and are on the rest of the time. You'd just put their + connection to steady 12V, and the negative side to the (intermittent) +12V of the turn signals. When the turn signals are not on, the LEDs get their ground through them. As they draw much less current, the turn signals should stay dark. Somebody here actually did that, it's not my idea.
I still need to try this, but thought I could just get a normally on relay (SPDT) and wire the trigger to the turn signal. The turn signal would turn the LED's off when it came on and back on when the turn signal turned off. The LED would cycle similar to what you said and I would not need to worry about possibly lighting the turn signal when not needed.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #2152
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
After doing my valves and then synching the TB's my hike started running roughly on the way home. Riding along wondering what the hell was wrong with my bike, it suddenly hit me: I forgot to tighten the locknut on the right hand throttle cable after synching the TB's.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #2153
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
6k service on the GS yesterday, washed it today. Damned if I'll let the dealer wash my bike.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #2154
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,118
I haven't had to touch the cable adjustment on mine in more than 120,000 miles. The only slight tweak ever is to the BBS, and once in a while to the TPS measurement.

Last ride today. Didn't ride it yesterday and it rained !
Stupid thing is running better than when I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
After doing my valves and then synching the TB's my hike started running roughly on the way home. Riding along wondering what the hell was wrong with my bike, it suddenly hit me: I forgot to tighten the locknut on the right hand throttle cable after synching the TB's.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #2155
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I haven't had to touch the cable adjustment on mine in more than 120,000 miles. The only slight tweak ever is to the BBS, and once in a while to the TPS measurement.
I didn't say I actually adjusted it. That's the true irony, I loosened the lock nut thinking I was going to need to adjust it and the TB's were already synched. I believe that's why I forgot to tighten the lock nut: I never made any adjustments. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

In other news, the bike is still running rough. Actually, it's idling rough. It runs like a raped ape. It just idles for shit and actually won't stay idling when cold. I think I know what it is after doing some research . . .

And yes, if my research is correct, it's another for Yeti. Details at 6.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #2156
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
In other news, the bike is still running rough. Actually, it's idling rough. It runs like a raped ape. It just idles for shit and actually won't stay idling when cold. I think I know what it is after doing some research . . .
O2 sensor?

I still don't have a practical way to tell if one has gone bad. Rough idle / surging...has to be one or more of either fuel, spark or air, right? Spark plugs are fine; TBs synched, cables seated, and TPS set properly. So it's either air (and the filter is fine BTW) or something in the bike brain, no...? If air, what's left besides the O2 sensor?

'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #2157
Lawmeister
Long time lurker

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGS View Post
Where are you getting your switched power to the hub? I don't see one running to the usual diagnostic green/blue.

Ps: weather should be great for your ride, perfect time of year with considerably less holiday traffic.
Made a post here with a little more detail:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post22293837

I bought the D2's with the suggested CANBus adapter. Installed the adapter into the headlight bucket and pulled switched power from that to the PowerHub instead of going to the aux light controller box, and then having to run an additional switched connection into the PowerHub.

In all likelihood, after reading the documentation and having it all laid out before me, I could have avoided the CANBus adapter completely since I was using the power distro box. And then I would have tapped the diagnostic wire and had one less wire running under the gas tank to the front.
'98 Suzuki DR350SE
Lawmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #2158
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post
O2 sensor?

I still don't have a practical way to tell if one has gone bad. Rough idle / surging...has to be one or more of either fuel, spark or air, right? Spark plugs are fine; TBs synched, cables seated, and TPS set properly. So it's either air (and the filter is fine BTW) or something in the bike brain, no...? If air, what's left besides the O2 sensor?

I suspect I did not re-seat the TPS connector after setting it. I un-plugged it and used very fine wire in the 1 and 4 slots and re-connected it. After setting the TPS, I un-plugged it again to remove the wires. I remember it was difficult to re-connect and from looking at pictures from a thread on UKGSer where the dude had the same symptoms I do, it looks like mine isn't fully seated. I won't know for sure 'til I go outside at lunch. (I'm looking at the wrong side of my bike out my office window. )
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #2159
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 709
HBN, Dr. Beard and I finally settled on sewing needles to accomplish that for the Black Beast. We wound up going through the procedure twice.
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #2160
squatch.f22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Changed from a Sargent seat that didn't fit me to a Corbin. We'll see how well the Corbin works. Sargent seat is for sale in Flea Market.

Before:

After:

- Justin
2013 1200 GSA
squatch.f22 is offline   Reply With Quote