Rode to work and best part of the day.

tuckerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #2387
GEARHEAD9969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz the Aussie View Post
Can I ask, in what way are they better? You said you didn't like the OEM units but didn't say why. Is it that these perform better and if so, in what way? Or is it just that you think they look better? Might be interested myself if they somehow deflect huge amounts of turbulent air away from my helmet.

Thanks.
Being im 6'5" I saw a lot of my shoulders. The primary reason I used the Triumph mirrors was that they were a few inches lower and wider allowing me to see more with out moving around to much. The second reason I liked them is that they are held in place with a collet allowing them to move some what freely when hit by branches and stuff. Plus I thought they looked cleaner matching the edgey lines of the GS better.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #2388
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Oddometer: 889
Hit something on the freeway at night..

Photos to follow but just got home from a trip up into LA and coming home via the 91E I hit something large and very hard in the H.O.V. lane. Even with the new HID lights I didn't see the object but it threw the bike up in the air one wheel at a time and came back down with a huge wobble. I am grateful I was on my Beamer with it's tough front suspension because at the speed I was doing at the time I don't think I would have stayed upright with a bike with normal forks. Both my new Heidenau tires are ruined (took a huge chunk out of the side of the rear tire) plus I will need to have the rims checked for bends, especially the rear one that has a big ugly scar on the rim edge.

My actor site: www.dazbyard.com
Daz the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #2389
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Photos to follow but just got home from a trip up into LA and coming home via the 91E I hit something large and very hard in the H.O.V. lane. Even with the new HID lights I didn't see the object but it threw the bike up in the air one wheel at a time and came back down with a huge wobble. I am grateful I was on my Beamer with it's tough front suspension because at the speed I was doing at the time I don't think I would have stayed upright with a bike with normal forks. Both my new Heidenau tires are ruined (took a huge chunk out of the side of the rear tire) plus I will need to have the rims checked for bends, especially the rear one that has a big ugly scar on the rim edge.
Wow, Glad you kept it upright though.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #2390
johnny80s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
SoCal freeways can be dangerous. Lots of stuff in the road.
johnny80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #2391
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Aftermath..

Finally got the photos of the tire/wheel damage ready for the insurance guys.

The front tire split is pretty deep, certainly this tire can never be used again!

The rear tire is a bigger mess, the object tore a chunk clean out of the sidewall down to the cords and smashed into the edge of the rim as well.

The run out on the front rim isn't too bad but it has a minor ding in it. At speed it probably would not be really all that noticeable but I am opting for another wheel. The rear wheel movement is very noticeable and will need to be straightened.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #2392
johnny80s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I put the stickers on my panniers from the last few places I visited.
johnny80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #2393
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,302
In the last week I have:

- Removed the ABS pump and converted to non-ABS fittings and a 3" longer line ot the master cylinder
- Replaced the final drive pivot bearings
- Changed the oil in the engine, transmission and final drive
- Re-wired my HID lights
- Replaced the throttle cables (actually just removed them, I put the new ones in tonight)
- Installed Pivot Pegz
- Installed TT folding and adjustable shifter
- Installed the TT Rallye fender (only because it's a "RALLYE" fender )
- Replaced the stick coils with the new ones from Euro MotoElectrics
- Replaced all four spark plugs
- Ordered up a spare rear bearing and seal

Tonight I'll install the new throttle cables and tomorrow I'll bleed the brakes and put everything back together again.

It's been a busy week. Can't wait to ride again!!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #2394
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Finally got the photos of the tire/wheel damage ready for the insurance guys.

The front tire split is pretty deep, certainly this tire can never be used again!

The rear tire is a bigger mess, the object tore a chunk clean out of the sidewall down to the cords and smashed into the edge of the rim as well.

The run out on the front rim isn't too bad but it has a minor ding in it. At speed it probably would not be really all that noticeable but I am opting for another wheel. The rear wheel movement is very noticeable and will need to be straightened.
Glad you were able to keep the bike up. Looks like it could have been a lot worse. Did the tire go flat immediately?

I leave early in the morning when it is still dark. I hate the fact I cannot see far out in the distance for stuff like that. I try and see what the cars out front are doing. I wish I could throw the spots on without blinding others on the road.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #2395
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenslair View Post
Glad you were able to keep the bike up. Looks like it could have been a lot worse. Did the tire go flat immediately?

I leave early in the morning when it is still dark. I hate the fact I cannot see far out in the distance for stuff like that. I try and see what the cars out front are doing. I wish I could throw the spots on without blinding others on the road.
Thanks for the thoughts. Yes it could definitely have been a lot worse, I'm glad of my riding experience, the bike type in this instance and for not panicking and making it worse. I was able to pull over within a mile or so of the incident to check things out, in the dark under a street light I couldn't see much but the tire was still up and I didn't hear any air escaping so I took it easy and rode the last 25 miles home very slowly and half expecting the front tire to go flat. As to the blind spots, I am now going to invest in a set of those Motolights that mount on the front forks to light up the lower road and fill in the area that the headlight can't due to how high up it is on these bikes. Some good news to end with, Progressive came through like champions and lived up to their advertising and have approved my claim already!

Old 10-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #2396
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts. Yes it could definitely have been a lot worse, I'm glad of my riding experience, the bike type in this instance and for not panicking and making it worse. I was able to pull over within a mile or so of the incident to check things out, in the dark under a street light I couldn't see much but the tire was still up and I didn't hear any air escaping so I took it easy and rode the last 25 miles home very slowly and half expecting the front tire to go flat. As to the blind spots, I am now going to invest in a set of those Motolights that mount on the front forks to light up the lower road and fill in the area that the headlight can't due to how high up it is on these bikes. Some good news to end with, Progressive came through like champions and lived up to their advertising and have approved my claim already!
That is amazing the tires still held air, even with the major trauma they had just endured. Your story makes me think a pair of fork mounted lights would be a good thing. Depending on what Progressive is covering (i.e., new wheels and tires), Woody should be able to get your current wheels all dialed in. That way you would have a second set. Can't go wrong with two sets of wheels.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #2397
Patagonian Fox
nOOb, not any more

Oddometer: 282
Trade my GSA '09 by a new GSA '13

Days a go went to a dealer to say hello to the guys and I did it.
Here is the COLO, as I call it.

Now looking for the WC to see how GSA will look and who knows.....
Cheers

Omar.............

Patagonian Fox screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 05:10 AM
Patagonian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #2398
ron*
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
In january I and my Wife visited dealer Codasco Austral - Argentina and was change an lamp free. Good Friends!!

ron* screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 02:42 PM
ron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #2399
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,060
Installed a larger kickstand footplate and some cool rubber grip wraps.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #2400
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
Took it on it's first SS1000; 17 hours with no drama

Hikertrash screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 01:43 AM
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote