Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #556
neerbeer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
GSAdict - Where did you find the aux light mount that let you use the factory fog light mount location? Also did you make the XM receiver mount or was that bought? I'd like to see more photos of these if you have any.

Thanks Brian
neerbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #557
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAdict View Post
It was a FARKLE weekend!!
I really like those fog light guards. Can you tell me where you got them?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #558
RedInTheShed
Jart

Oddometer: 23
Love this!

I'd been wondering how I might do something like this. I just thought it would be a bit too awkward to drive with. Let us know how it feels on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMartillo View Post
Today I installed a bicycle rack I've been working on for a week or so. I have a few small changes to make, but this is very close to the final version. It's over-built; very strong and stable, and will accept bicycles of varying sizes, though I plan on using it mainly for my mountain bike. It is attached to a rear rack I built several months ago, which also accepts a Pelican 1550 top box.

This version is for local bicycle hauling, but I plan on making a version that will attach to the top of the Pelican so I can take all my gear and bicycle on multi-day trips. It would also be able to attach to any flat surface, such as any type of rear-rack adapter plate, etc.

Cheers!
RedInTheShed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #559
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Installed a new to me Aeroflow windshield. Then went for a ride on the hiway. Huge improvement in the buffeting department. BTW, -9 Celsius today so it was a pretty quick ride.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #560
Mr.Mushman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Installed a new to me Aeroflow windshield. Then went for a ride on the hiway. Huge improvement in the buffeting department. BTW, -9 Celsius today so it was a pretty quick ride.
Rockmuncher you should change your name to BigKahunas ... Riding with a -9 celsius is cooooold ! even just to test a new piece of gear ... I'm sure it was a very very short ride ... Ouch ...
Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #561
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAdict View Post
Why all the carbon fiber on the GS. Ew. Take it all off and send it to me NOW. Just kidding, Nice looking rig!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #562
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #563
GoinPostal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
I got my 6000 mile service done at Bavaria Motors in Guatemala City on my way to Panama.
Group of Fools Central America Adventure 2013
2012 Triple Black GSA
GoinPostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #564
Ride4Coffee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb2cmyk View Post
The GoPro was mounted using one of their simple sticky mounts. It seems solid. It is in front of the oil cooler
[snip]
you'll have to settle with taking the Pulaski Skyway into Hoboken NJ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWbiaCyLsvk
Yup. That's where I'm mounting mine. Thanks!
Ride4Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #565
guzzifreak750
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Check out 2x2cycles.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedInTheShed View Post
I'd been wondering how I might do something like this. I just thought it would be a bit too awkward to drive with. Let us know how it feels on the road.
Check out 2x2cycles.com. They make a bike rack and golf club carrier for most motorcycles and works great have one on my GSA and love it have done multiple 1000k days with the bike on the back. Also doesn't touch the frame like this one does.

Keep the Rubber side Down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03 R1150 GSA
74 Guzzi V7 Sport
91 R100GS
82 NC 50 cause you got to have a pit bike
guzzifreak750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #566
guzzifreak750
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
See above post

Quote:
Today I installed a bicycle rack I've been working on for a week or so. I have a few small changes to make, but this is very close to the final version. It's over-built; very strong and stable, and will accept bicycles of varying sizes, though I plan on using it mainly for my mountain bike. It is attached to a rear rack I built several months ago, which also accepts a Pelican 1550 top box.

This version is for local bicycle hauling, but I plan on making a version that will attach to the top of the Pelican so I can take all my gear and bicycle on multi-day trips. It would also be able to attach to any flat surface, such as any type of rear-rack adapter plate, etc.

Cheers!
Ment to quote this one

Keep the Rubber side Down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03 R1150 GSA
74 Guzzi V7 Sport
91 R100GS
82 NC 50 cause you got to have a pit bike
guzzifreak750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #567
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedInTheShed View Post
Thanks! I put a lot of thought into the design. It's solid, and you can hardly tell there's anything back there while riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzifreak750 View Post
Check out 2x2cycles.com. They make a bike rack and golf club carrier for most motorcycles and works great have one on my GSA and love it have done multiple 1000k days with the bike on the back. Also doesn't touch the frame like this one does.
2x2 seems to have gotten their design down well enough, and I'm glad you have a product you like and use, but I didn't like how the bicycle's weight is supported by a single crank-arm. I feel this puts undue wear on the bottom bracket. Not only that, but I wanted a rack that didn't leave a bunch of stuff hanging off the back of the motorcycle when the bicycle is removed, or require much assembly. Mine installs and removes onto/off of any flat surface with 4 bolts. Easy! Plus, although I'm sure theirs is a quality product, the pricing is a bit on the high side IMO.

Cheers!
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #568
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
I'm sure I've never EVER seen anybody on a motorcycle carrying a bicycle like this.

What I wonder is...for the non-motorcycle (cager) community...WHAT THEY THINK happened?
Did some bicycle rear-end a motorcycle?
Did the cyclist survive?
Can this 'bent up' bicycle be fixed?
After the few test runs I've made, I'll tell you: If you want attention as a motorcyclist carry a bicycle on the back! Lots of looks, smiles and thumbs-up!

Cheers, brother!
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #569
GSAdict
GSAdict

Oddometer: 53
The Clearwater Krista LEDs for GSA come with the mounts for install in the OEM location. But while pricey, they are brilliant, come on when i hit my horn, my high beam, or when I turn them on manually. They also plug directly into the OEM harness. Anyway, money well spent.

The guards are from BMW BEYOND. Just search R1200GSA on eBay any you'll see them. The mounting clamps suck so I'm replacing with black CNC brackets.

The XM antenna is directly mount to the OEM GSA windscreen support. I just drilled and tapped threads and set it on 2 small bushings. Then lock tite the Allen bolts. Been on for 5000 miles with a lot of off road with no issues. But I have a Touratech cockpit 1 to install so I may need to mod just a bit.

Out!
GSAdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #570
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,594
Quote:
Thanks! I put a lot of thought into the design. It's solid, and you can hardly tell there's anything back there while riding.

2x2 seems to have gotten their design down well enough, and I'm glad you have a product you like and use, but I didn't like how the bicycle's weight is supported by a single crank-arm. I feel this puts undue wear on the bottom bracket. Not only that, but I wanted a rack that didn't leave a bunch of stuff hanging off the back of the motorcycle when the bicycle is removed, or require much assembly. Mine installs and removes onto/off of any flat surface with 4 bolts. Easy! Plus, although I'm sure theirs is a quality product, the pricing is a bit on the high side IMO.

Cheers!
I have the 2x2 rack on my GSA and don't like the extra metal hanging off the back. I will only install it when needed. I really like your design. Any chance you'll be making some for sale? I know there's not a huge demand for bicycle racks, but it would be nice to have more than one option out there.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote