Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #826
Frani
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenslair View Post
I would like their tool box, but not go on the 1150. I have a few of their farkles on my bike the previous owner put on. Nice quality stuff.
Yes, I confirm, very good quality stuff and quick delivery.
The owner is called Lorenzo
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #827
GSAdict
GSAdict

Oddometer: 53
And now they actually work! Sweet!
GSAdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #828
BTL
WINTER!! UGH!

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAdict View Post
..WOW
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #829
earthroamerxvlt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
GSA Parts Salvage

Thanks to Ayrshire Bull and Mike for asking about my well being. Much to the amazement of the EMTs, Fire Department and LEOs I am doing pretty darn well. The bike and all my riding gear, not so well! The bike is totaled and most of my riding gear is pretty well trashed. The guy who attempted to run over me in his dually truck had $10,000 worth of insurance coverage to split between me and the car that finally stopped the GSA about 250 feet beyond the initial impact. Luckily I only slid a bit over 100 feet and stopped without being run over by the guy who hit me or anyone else for that matter. I guess my next post on what have you done on your GS/GSA today will be "Got a new one!"
earthroamerxvlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #830
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamerxvlt View Post
Thanks to Ayrshire Bull and Mike for asking about my well being. Much to the amazement of the EMTs, Fire Department and LEOs I am doing pretty darn well. The bike and all my riding gear, not so well! The bike is totaled and most of my riding gear is pretty well trashed. The guy who attempted to run over me in his dually truck had $10,000 worth of insurance coverage to split between me and the car that finally stopped the GSA about 250 feet beyond the initial impact. Luckily I only slid a bit over 100 feet and stopped without being run over by the guy who hit me or anyone else for that matter. I guess my next post on what have you done on your GS/GSA today will be "Got a new one!"

I look forward to reading about your new bike! Meahwhile, please consider doing a write-up in Faceplant as you sound very lucky to be here. I'm glad you're okay!!!!!!!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #831
bobinaustin
planning for the adv

Oddometer: 199
HOLY CRAP THATS COOL!
are those from a Z3? please tell us (me) what you used and how you wired it up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAdict View Post
Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #832
GSAdict
GSAdict

Oddometer: 53
ok fellas.....heres the link for the LED badge:
http://www.360signals.net

You want 70mm
they come with 2 wires out the back. I added a basic SAE plug and tapped into the blinker wires BEFORE the harness so if i made a mistake i just sacrificed the blinker and not my harness. Simple but time consuming.
Good luck!!
GSAdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #833
BFG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Second attempt at wrapping the pannier lid. First was post 713 and I liked it but first go and got a few bubbles etc. So tried it in the black carbon fiber and looked really good, but, herself was not to impressed so changed to silver. Think it works ok and getting better at it so no bubbles. The good thing is that the old vinyl comes of and can be used again, I did the small side panels so they match the sargent seats. Stuff is so cheap and once you get the hang of it no reason you could not do a whole bike colour change without altering the original colour come resale time.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #834
Beefeater Steve
Banned

Oddometer: 197
Plasti-dip spray

Here's what I did. . .

Before:

After:

The best thing about that paint? It peels off. $6/can at Home Cheapo.

Beefeater Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #835
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,707
Not wanting to spend $25 a piece for lid nets for my Globescout panniers, I took a gamble and bought two Hopnel nets for Goldwing cases from Amazon for $8 each. They're a perfect fit and saved me almost $35.

Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #836
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,103
I went to ride home last Friday across the desert, and my bike decided it was time for a ride of its own.

This is at 187,970 miles or so. Just had to get one more ride in a trailer/truck before we hit 200K. I'm blaming the KTM sticker.

Quartzite about a half hour before sunset. Fortunately at a filling station. Auto Club tow to Blythe, long wait in the Denny's. very nice people inedible food. Glad I had my wifi hot spot with me.

Wife came and got me from the OC. We drove back arriving at the house on the hill at 3:30AM.
Woke up three and a half hours later started getting ready for the drive back.

Poolside had figured out how to rent a truck, had good ramps and lots of straps.

Good straps.

Truck was available later, Brown Motor Works had the part and was basically on the route. We arrive an hour too late to get away without paying for a call out fee. $100 to drive all the way across Blythe. Nice.
Charged for two days of storage from 8:30 PM to 4:30 PM the next day. Different clocks I guess.

Jim finds the three biggest guys in the county hanging at the motel across the street, recruits them to help. They are large enough to look at the bike and truck and say collectively, "We don't need the ramps."

We used the ramps. And four straps. All safe and spewing only a little oil on the way back.

We get to the house on the hill around 10?? late anyway. Our luck holds out and there are three more guys there to help.

Then its in the garage and time for a tall cold one, and a nap.

Next morning, (Sunday), I'm up early and after it.
OK, not so early and iot only took two really big cups of coffee to get moving.

After some messing around I got the new part bonded in. Cycle Parts doesn't sell Yama-bond and the last time I had a tube I owned a sportbike that was going on 9 years ago. If I still had that tube I'm pretty sure it would be hard.

As long as I was there I replaced the tired and broken old Touratech valve cover protection with new ones I'd ordered a few months ago.

I bled the clutch and found after a few hours of that I'll be ordering some clutch parts. This will make the third set of slave, upper line and clutch plate. Not bad I guess getting nearly 95,000 miles per set.
When I replace the clutch I'm going for a few other fun bits at the same time. We'll see how that all works out if I am able to pull that off.

Oh, then I had a flat tire.

But, i'm back to Adventure with a capital "S".

And then 150 miles into heading back to work I figure out the engine is way hot.
Then it suddenly cools a little, then a little while later back to hot?

I sit at a rest stop in the shade drinking two bottles of water, (2 liters each, kinda warm out), and consider what would be the cause and how to determine if I'm right.
I decide it has to be the thermostat not opening to let the hot oil to the cooler. Of course by this time I'm riding and almost, yes, almost lean over the tankbag, and GPS to stick my hand down near the backside of the oil cooler but decide that at 75-80 mph this might not be a great idea. So head for the office instead. I only stop when the bars get near the red zone, not actually in it.

So, Poolside tells me to warm the bike to six bars as the thing should open around there and check the temp of the cooler with my hand. Should go form OK to too damned hot real quick. By that time I'm about to drift to sleep on my icepack so defer this activity to my morning commute, (6 miles).

After some coffee of course.
Yep cold as a fish at six bars.

"... the road goes on forever and the party never ends..."
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #837
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefeater Steve View Post
Here's what I did
The best thing about that paint? It peels off. $6/can at Home Cheapo.
I've used it on my truck & car, just be REALLY careful not to drip any fuel on the plastidip as it will dissolve ...
hankgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #838
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I went to ride home last Friday across the desert, and my bike decided it was time for a ride of its own.

"... the road goes on forever and the party never ends..."
Mr. Head (love the moniker!), when things seem to stack up against me in a manner in which you've described your predicaments, my wife generally responds with, "Well, at least I'm not pregnant." Your sense of humor helps, I'm sure.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #839
mtbenson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
What have I done to my GS today?

I said Hi on the way through the garage to climb into my truck and plow snow again. (Big. Huge. Sigh.) The light on the battery charger winked back at me.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #840
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,103
Perfect.

My point of view is the bike parts would last a lot longer if I didn't ride it, but I see no point in that. I don't buy motorcycles to keep them good as new with low miles for the next owner. I fully intend to wear it out to the point it is too expensive to replace all the worn out parts.

I have not hit that point. (I define that point as an amount roughly equal to half the payment of a new replacement of some sort. That keeps the number a nice fuzzy gray, off there in the mist.)
The list:
Thermostat
Clutch Slave
tires
Clutch plate
Fuel pressure regulator because I'll be in there and I might as well, and I have this theory...
Lower fuel lines and QD's, and clamps.
Maybe some paint
New helmet, (on notice for when it comes in, mine is 5 years old and stinky, with wornout foam, but at least a Marmot didn't get at it.)

Adventure with an "S":

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
Mr. Head (love the moniker!), when things seem to stack up against me in a manner in which you've described your predicaments, my wife generally responds with, "Well, at least I'm not pregnant." Your sense of humor helps, I'm sure.

Mike
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote