ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #1066
UffeJ
Gasgeben!
 
UffeJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Oddometer: 86
Took my nephew for a short ride along some forest roads. Afterwards I tightened the screws on the tail light.
__________________
Uffe J


R1100GS
UffeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #1067
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kimokk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: NOVA
Oddometer: 103
Flushed brakes and replaced tranny fluid. Good for another two years.
__________________
'09 BMW R1200GSA Adventure! (gone)
IBA #49426
kimokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #1068
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique
 
macadamia's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Oddometer: 1,333
I am working on the HID conversion of my GSA driving lights... So far, I've removed them from the bike, opened the housing, and removed the stock halogen bulb. I used my Dremel tool to make an opening in the back of the housing. This is needed because the HID set I bought has the straight connection instead of the angled connection.

I'll post more photos of the ballast install on the bike...

__________________
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." Unknown
'12 BMW R1200GSA '02 BMW R1100S BCX
macadamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #1069
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?
 
Ayrshire Bull's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: The Left Coast, B.C., CA-NA-DA
Oddometer: 1,872
I've always thought that the cockpit on my GS would be more attractive if the silver bars, were satin black instead.

So - I set to it - stripped them out - shot them with rattle can .... and I like it:

__________________
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - HDT
Ayrshire Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #1070
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique
 
macadamia's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrshire Bull View Post
I've always thought that the cockpit on my GS would be more attractive if the silver bars, were satin black instead.

So - I set to it - stripped them out - shot them with rattle can .... and I like it:

Looks great! Now, I have something else to do...
__________________
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." Unknown
'12 BMW R1200GSA '02 BMW R1100S BCX
macadamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #1071
GSAdict
GSAdict
 
GSAdict's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Visalia
Oddometer: 53
I love tires.....
GSAdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #1072
EvilEagle
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Oddometer: 100
Put on my new (to me) Remus exhaust. Sounds about the same but definitely saved a few lbs!
EvilEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #1073
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Botch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Ogden, Utard
Oddometer: 242
Well, today was cold and rainy, so I finally installed a few farkles that The Man in the Brown Shorts™ has been leaving on my doorstep the last couple weeks.

First, I removed the GSA top rack that was installed on my bike; the plastic BMW panniers that I got with the bike don't seem to fit with the GSA rack (and the GSA rack that I got with the bike has its rear hacksawed off, so don't know if it'd work with BMW aluminum cases or not). After fiddling with the mushroom bolts a bit, I finally got the panniers to lock on securely:



Then, I installed the SW MoTech tank ring, and then adjusted/fit the MoTech "Bags Connection" tank bag:



I really like this tankbag attachment system, and have the video camera mount that fits on the tankring too. I took a pic of my new BMW tankbag next to my FZ-6 tankbag, which has been enjoying the sun since 2007:



Next, I added my beloved Grip Puppies; I'm 6'5" and have big hands, I really like these things and they're my favorite bike mod (and only $10!!):



Next, a bigger sidestand pad from Twisted Throttle:



A slider for the driveshaft:



And finally, to make the bike truly Mine, a Munitions sticker. I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!!!



A final question: the bike was advertised with a "GPS mount", and this is it:



Is this a BMW part? What else do I need to get to "complete" the mount? Any help will be appreciated!

I'd already installed a Touratech "Tall" seat a couple weeks ago; the bike is finally "mine"!
Botch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #1074
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique
 
macadamia's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Oddometer: 1,333
I installed the HID ballasts on the bike for high, low, and both driving lights. I mounted the ballasts just below the oil cooler on the upper crash bar. The skinny ones in the middle are for the driving lights. Those also had external igniters, so I mounted them in the middle because of the longer cables. The outer ones are for the high and low beams.



I also installed my stebel horn, wiring it directly to the battery via a relay I stashed under the anti-lock brake module.









I then cleaned up some of the previous farkle wiring that I was not happy with. It was all over the place and not very neat.

__________________
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." Unknown
'12 BMW R1200GSA '02 BMW R1100S BCX
macadamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #1075
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique
 
macadamia's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Oddometer: 1,333
While I had the tank off, I cleaned the DNA air filter, reoiled it, and reinstalled it.
__________________
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." Unknown
'12 BMW R1200GSA '02 BMW R1100S BCX
macadamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #1076
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis
 
Ragin Rabbi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Western Maryland
Oddometer: 4,649
Well I am stuck.

I have been attempting to remove the Catalytic Converter which is bad. BUT, the freaking thing won't come OFF!!!

I removed the clamps (loosened and moved them up the pipe), the two Torx bolts at the center stand, removed the stock muffler.

Now I have it about an inch back, and it won't slide anymore.

Questions:

1. Does the rear wheel have to come off? It appears that there is enough room to get it off without removing the wheel.

2. Is the sensor wire (sensor that goes into the Cat) long enough to allow the Cat to come off THEN remove it?

3. WHAT THE FREAKIN #ELL AM I DOING WRONG?!?!

Thanks.

ps. The bike is a 2004 1150 GS Adv. Sorry.
__________________
Each according to their need, each according to their ability.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #1077
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,378
O2 sensor unplugs under the right side of the tank at the front.
Unlpug that and unroute it pretty easy.
You've disconnected the stand from the CAT right?
Pictures would help.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
Well I am stuck.

I have been attempting to remove the Catalytic Converter which is bad. BUT, the freaking thing won't come OFF!!!

I removed the clamps (loosened and moved them up the pipe), the two Torx bolts at the center stand, removed the stock muffler.

Now I have it about an inch back, and it won't slide anymore.

Questions:

1. Does the rear wheel have to come off? It appears that there is enough room to get it off without removing the wheel.

2. Is the sensor wire (sensor that goes into the Cat) long enough to allow the Cat to come off THEN remove it?

3. WHAT THE FREAKIN #ELL AM I DOING WRONG?!?!

Thanks.

ps. The bike is a 2004 1150 GS Adv. Sorry.
__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #1078
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis
 
Ragin Rabbi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Western Maryland
Oddometer: 4,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
O2 sensor unplugs under the right side of the tank at the front.
Unlpug that and unroute it pretty easy.
You've disconnected the stand from the CAT right?
Pictures would help.
I've disconnected the center stand, I'll look for the sensor plug up front. Camera is Kaput.

The Cat is hung up on the exhaust pipes. About an inch, not quite is all I've been able to pull it back.

While waiting for a response I changed the spark-plugs, checked the filter.....

Now I worried about getting the new (or old if I can't figure this thing out) cat back on!! I may just try and get it back up and then turn it over to a professional!!!

Should I loosen the headers? I can't see a reason to do so, if anything I think that would add to the difficulty level due to them flopping around!

Sorry about the lack of pics. I'll see if I can get some via the camera...

I need this done, a new crush washer for the drain plug (my garage floor makes it look like I have a Harley!) and I'll be 100%!!!!
__________________
Each according to their need, each according to their ability.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #1079
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,378
Yesterday I got after my clutch master cylinder. We'd found a lightly used on on eBay for $75. I bought it and two days later it was in my garage. New the parts are about $600. $75 is better.

Here is the original,

I had to cut the heated grip wires because I wasn't able to get the terminals to release from the plastic connector body. No big deal a little solder and back in business.

details of the nasty old mess,
Lever and pivot, 189,000+ miles of wear,


Body,




Bleeding the system single handed takes a few special tools,
anti-slosh device,


Third hand,


in use,


Done,


Good as new.

As long as I was in the garage I swapped out the worn and leaking rear tire, and cleaned up the wheel,
This wheel is not the original that was destroyed by a dealer at 97,000, this was the used replacement, so now is likely over 100,000 miles.

__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #1080
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,378
The clamps should slide off to the front.

Spray some penetrating oil in the slits of the CAT on the headers. Mine was real tight when I pulled it the first time. I had a Y-pipe for a while, sounded like crap so I sold it.
Since I've had my CAT off once more and when I install I use some silicon that has copper in it and is meant for exhaust systems. Auto parts store had it, and they are open on Sundays.
Oh, and I used a 2x4 to hammer against.
Worked like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
I've disconnected the center stand, I'll look for the sensor plug up front. Camera is Kaput.

The Cat is hung up on the exhaust pipes. About an inch, not quite is all I've been able to pull it back.

While waiting for a response I changed the spark-plugs, checked the filter.....

Now I worried about getting the new (or old if I can't figure this thing out) cat back on!! I may just try and get it back up and then turn it over to a professional!!!

Should I loosen the headers? I can't see a reason to do so, if anything I think that would add to the difficulty level due to them flopping around!

Sorry about the lack of pics. I'll see if I can get some via the camera...

I need this done, a new crush washer for the drain plug (my garage floor makes it look like I have a Harley!) and I'll be 100%!!!!
__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014