User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #1231
sonarman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Side stand foot

Started machining foot for my side stand.
sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #1232
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb2cmyk View Post
I got a brand new K60 installed 2 weeks ago and literally 188 miles later riding down I-78 it was flat with this tear in it.

Not sure what caused it, there was no nail or any signs. Thankfully a mushroom plug held and got me home.

I had planned to use the tire on my trip to Canada. I guess I'm going to have to get another one and just use this one around town.

The worst part is I already have a plugged K60 in the garage that I was going to burn up around town...

When I was on my Desert Southwest trip, I stopped at a dealership to get new front brake pads (ran out of time before I left). A mechanic was looking over my bike and told me they had just received a service bulletin advising not to run K60's over 35psi as the knobs could start tearing. I already run mine at 35 so I was good to go.

The More You Know.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #1233
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
When I was on my Desert Southwest trip, I stopped at a dealership to get new front brake pads (ran out of time before I left). A mechanic was looking over my bike and told me they had just received a service bulletin advising not to run K60's over 35psi as the knobs could start tearing. I already run mine at 35 so I was good to go.

The More You Know.
The first time I took my K60's offroad, I saw they had tons of tears all over the knobs. Chunks were taken off. I've never seen that before on my TKC's, but doing a search on this site, those types of tears seemed to be normal.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #1234
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
The first time I took my K60's offroad, I saw they had tons of tears all over the knobs. Chunks were taken off. I've never seen that before on my TKC's, but doing a search on this site, those types of tears seemed to be normal.
Hmmn. This is my third or fourth rear (I use a TKC in the front) over 3 bikes and have never had any tears, rips or anything other than complete satisfaction. I wonder what pressures those guys were running.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #1235
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,695
Checked the valve clearances, swapped the worn front tire for new, and fixed the valve cover seal leaks, new spark plugs.
A little light cleaning on the front wheel.
I'll know tomorrow if it is ready to ride back to Phoenix for two more weeks of work.

Maybe ride back to Phoenix for the last two weeks of my assignment.
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 09:05 AM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #1236
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,560
not actually bike, but washed my 10year old Savannah 2 Jacket (not for the first time) and so now its brilliant blue and silver grey again and my 13year old savanah 2 pants are yellow and silver again.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #1237
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 875
Got home yesterday from a week-long, 2,319 mile trip. First leg was a SaddleSore1000. Coming back to the bike after a pit stop on that first leg, I felt a twinge of affection while looking at the bike.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #1238
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Not too much, just put some stickers:

Link to All about VietNam

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #1239
RanchNerd
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Sold a bunch of stuff that came with my 09, including highway pegs, a set of orange plastics, and a low seat. This funded my first farkle purchases since I got the bike last year.

First, I got some Rox Risers, since I wasn't comfortable long distances, especially with the adventure seat that came on this bike. It was pretty easy, though I felt cheap not having e-torx sockets. Dropping the left side tube to route the clutch etc. behind the "forks" was easy, as was clipping the hidden tie wraps. It looks a little ugly, so I will try and pretty it up a bit. No problems on the right side. So far, feels a lot better, though I will probably adjust it a little more.

Second, I got a Booster Plug. I routed the temp probe under the tank and tie wrapped it to the left side frame. Wow, this has made a huge difference. The motor is really smooth now, and all of the bogging and jerkiness is gone. I commute a lot, so I can see this helping a lot in the traffic. It now feels like I always imagined the R1200GS would feel like.

This was my first time doing anything on this bike, but I have worked on my DRZ and my QA-50. This is a dream to work on. Everything is clean, obvious, and fits well. It reminds me of my friends Porsche 911, which is super easy to work on. Yay German Engineering!

Next: she needs a bath.
RanchNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #1240
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812

Dan Kyle to the rescue!
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #1241
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Oddometer: 893
Why is it that crap wears out when: a) you least expect it, and b) when you just got some money stashed away for other projects?

The scene a couple of days ago.

Oh and I should also add why is it that the smallest parts are so well buried?
I was in town (LA) a few days ago and at an intersection I stalled the bike on take off. "WTF"? I was thinking. It was then that I started to notice that I was only getting clutch engagement at the very last part of the lever being released. When I got back home (interesting journey with imminent clutch issues), I tried bleeding it out but was getting nowhere so I ordered a new slave cylinder. "What do you mean it's $160 for something so small it could fit in your top shirt pocket"? Bring My Wallet indeed!
So anyway, that's now taken care of and one less thing to worry about for a few more years. While I had the tank off I also replaced the fuel filter and did the siphon mod to extend my travel range. The bike has gotten so good I just wish I had some extra $$$ so I could take off for a couple of weeks worth of ADV riding.

"Where do I go now that I've gone too far?"

My actor site: www.dazbyard.com
Daz the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #1242
GSABest
El Adventurero

Oddometer: 320
Heidenau K-60

I'm sorry, but I just gotta say that I don't think I'd ever mount these tires on my GSA. I can understand people looking for better mileage out of a tire, I would too, but at the expense of traction and safety??? For everything I have read about experiences with these tires, from scary feelings to actual crashes, frankly it's just not worth it. Stick to your TKC80's or Anakee 2 or 3's or Metzelers or whatever but please be careful with these Heidenau K-60's. they just don't seem worth the extra mileage you may get. YMMV. Just my opinion...

Marc in Manzanillo

Past Rides: 1990 VFR 750 (2007 - sold to my son), 2000 RC51 (2000 - 2003), 1990 VFR 750 (1996 - 1999), 1989 Yamaha TDR250 (1998 - 1999), 1989 NT650 Hawk GT x 2 (1998 - 1999), 1982 Honda Interstate (1982 - 1983), 1981 Honda CB900F (1981 - 1982), 1980 Honda CB900 Custom (1980 - 1981), 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2 Custom (1978), 1974 Kawasaki 400 Triple, 1976 Honda XL 250
GSABest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #1243
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSABest View Post
I'm sorry, but I just gotta say that I don't think I'd ever mount these tires on my GSA. I can understand people looking for better mileage out of a tire, I would too, but at the expense of traction and safety??? For everything I have read about experiences with these tires, from scary feelings to actual crashes, frankly it's just not worth it. Stick to your TKC80's or Anakee 2 or 3's or Metzelers or whatever but please be careful with these Heidenau K-60's. they just don't seem worth the extra mileage you may get. YMMV. Just my opinion...

Marc in Manzanillo
If you have no direct experience with the tires, then how do you know if they are safe or not? As I said in my lengthy post above, I suspect others have been riding a bit too fast for the conditions and getting a wake up call from the tires.

I've also heard that riding a motorcycle is the most dangerous thing I can ever do and I should avoid it at all costs, lest I shall die... That comment came from someone who had never ridden a motorcycle in their life...

Comments are like assholes, everyone has them and sometimes they stink...

YMMV

Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #1244
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
If you have no direct experience with the tires, then how do you know if they are safe or not? As I said in my lengthy post above, I suspect others have been riding a bit too fast for the conditions and getting a wake up call from the tires.

I've also heard that riding a motorcycle is the most dangerous thing I can ever do and I should avoid it at all costs, lest I shall die... That comment came from someone who had never ridden a motorcycle in their life...

Comments are like assholes, everyone has them and sometimes they stink...

YMMV

Yuck yuck yuck lol. I'm running the rear k60 and no issues. Dual sport tires are like dual sport bikes, you have to compromise a little and know your limitations. I'm a very safe rider, I rarey lean the bike more than 88 or 89 degrees...
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #1245
fltplan
Just toolin around

Oddometer: 124
After it's shakedown ride to the desert yesterday am, I gave it a good cleaning and added a couple personal touches to it, including a mount for my spot and a mini number decal from my desert racing. Definitely need an air hose to get this thing dried up good.
fltplan is offline   Reply With Quote