Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #1306
jd2577
The Boy Ruger

Oddometer: 74
Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on modifying the top case mount to give my better-half a little more riding room and a better back rest. I was also trying to think of a good way to give her some different options to hold when we're riding. My solution was to re-install the stock rack and bolt the topcase mount to the rack using a piece of 1/8" think aluminum plate.

Mount before mods

After the mods

It may not look like much but the case sits a little higher and slightly further back than before. Haven't tried it out on the road yet but she tells me it's comfortable to sit on at least. Hopefully we can work a ride in over the busy holiday weekend. Besides, she needs to try out her new riding gear - Scorpion helmet, Cortech jacket, gloves, and boots.

Other thing I've done was to replace the stock headlight bulbs with PIAA's the other evening. I've never used these in any of my bikes but I had a set in my last truck and I was very impressed.

Over the next week or so I hope to install the ADVMonster LEDs, a power cord for the GPS, Rox Risers, and the Grip Puppies that the postal delivery truck left for me today.
jd2577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #1307
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
This week, for my GSA, I've spent too much money. This weekend it'll get new ignition components, a new fuel pump and filter and something to make it look a bit nicer.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #1308
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,439
Walked past it and said something nice to it...knowing I have 8 more weeks of PY rehab before I can ride it again.

.....as soon as I can lift it!!

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #1309
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRat View Post
Walked past it and said something nice to it...knowing I have 8 more weeks of PY rehab before I can ride it again.

.....as soon as I can lift it!!

Haha...if I had to wait until I could lift it myself, it could be a long wait. But, seriously, continued good luck on the PY.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #1310
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
A few things yesterday to make Bikeopotamus more fun off pavement....

First Rox Risers for a more upright standing position:

Double Take Adjustable mirrors, so I don't snap off the stockers when I crash next time:

Finally, Adjustable shorty aluminum levers. These are really sweet, making shifting off road really easy!

Too much fun.
Nope...no worries. The Rox Risers required that the throttle cable be rerouted behind the risers was it...
Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #1311
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Shitcanned my homemade manometer (30 feet of clear tubing part filled with 2-stroke oil on a 2x4) and bought a harmonizer. Nice to be able to balance the TBs and ride and balance and ride bla bla until it's right. Made a huge difference.
BTW, had to buy a used one. Couldn't get in touch with the guy who builds them.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #1312
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 859
Replaced the fuel pump control module.

Here is the original, in situ, nicely corroded.

The original and the replacement. Hard to tell 'em apart, huh?

Intended to do the fuel line QD and collar replacement, too. Only got the left side done before the rain came. Now to dry my tools.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #1313
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 859
In the time it took me to upload my photos and type my previous post, the rain let up. So I ventured back out to the curb to finish the QD job. Of course I had to drain the tank.

Luckily, I had a spare length of hose from my StadiumPal.

The right side was significantly easier than the left; I wasn't fighting the tank panel and HID ballast bracket to get everything in. The rain restarted as soon as I started working, but everything went together quickly.

I was surprised at how quick and easy this fix is. The most annoying and time consuming part is removing crash bars & tupperware and draining the tank.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #1314
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Rode 360 miles home yesterday to end my latest adventure commute.

And one on the road,

Old 05-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #1315
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2577 View Post
Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on modifying the top case mount to give my better-half a little more riding room and a better back rest. I was also trying to think of a good way to give her some different options to hold when we're riding. My solution was to re-install the stock rack and bolt the topcase mount to the rack using a piece of 1/8" think aluminum plate.

It may not look like much but the case sits a little higher and slightly further back than before. Haven't tried it out on the road yet but she tells me it's comfortable to sit on at least. Hopefully we can work a ride in over the busy holiday weekend. Besides, she needs to try out her new riding gear - Scorpion helmet, Cortech jacket, gloves, and boots.

Other thing I've done was to replace the stock headlight bulbs with PIAA's the other evening. I've never used these in any of my bikes but I had a set in my last truck and I was very impressed.

Over the next week or so I hope to install the ADVMonster LEDs, a power cord for the GPS, Rox Risers, and the Grip Puppies that the postal delivery truck left for me today.
If you plan on carrying anything in that top case you might want to brace it. Even your wife leaning against it can make the top rack fail. You have moved it back, and created a lever on that plastic rack.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #1316
kk3an
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Not only that, but that box, even empty, will oscillate like crazy and could lead to a failure over time. I had a similar set-up some time ago, and the box would oscillate / bounce a surprising amount even if the road was smooth as glass.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
If you plan on carrying anything in that top case you might want to brace it. Even your wife leaning against it can make the top rack fail. You have moved it back, and created a lever on that plastic rack.

Jim
kk3an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #1317
jd2577
The Boy Ruger

Oddometer: 74
Thanks for the advice guys. I had wondered that myself actually. The mount (as it sits now) feels pretty solid - at least as solid as it was previously. The weak point that has always concerned me most is the way the case connects to the bike. It slides on to a fixed mounting plate and everything is plastic. Unlike the Jesse side bags that clamp solid.
jd2577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #1318
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Went for a nice ride in the Ozarks today with unexpected consequences, my first flat tire on the new Triple Black! Have to say though the Heidenau K60 tires rode good until they got down to 5lbs!! Talk about a stiff sidewall. After plugging rode another 90 miles back home. All good!

10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #1319
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2577 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I had wondered that myself actually. The mount (as it sits now) feels pretty solid - at least as solid as it was previously. The weak point that has always concerned me most is the way the case connects to the bike. It slides on to a fixed mounting plate and everything is plastic. Unlike the Jesse side bags that clamp solid.
I usually use mine empty on the road, maybe some lite object like a rain jacket. I have over 50K miles on this set-up, and never an issue. I doubt empty you will have issues, and it might be fine as a backrest if the SO is not too heavy and doesn't lean hard on it.

As you can see I have no extra bracing. I wasn't trying to scare you just inform.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #1320
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I usually use mine empty on the road, maybe some lite object like a rain jacket. I have over 50K miles on this set-up, and never an issue. I doubt empty you will have issues, and it might be fine as a backrest if the SO is not too heavy and doesn't lean hard on it.

As you can see I have no extra bracing. I wasn't trying to scare you just inform.

Jim
It is always interesting to see the contents of someone else's garage... a spare windshield?... nice...