User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Toddwmac OP
ADV addict

Oddometer: 283
Happy with your Rekluse?

I'm new to my 990 Adv (Actually pick it up tomorrow...I hope) and am considering a Rekluse along with a 16T & throttle cam to help me get aquainted to our slippery NW trails. Lots of road and track time...not so much in the rocks. I've read good things about them but most of the posts are dated.

Care to share?
Toddwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddwmac
I'm new to my 990 Adv (Actually pick it up tomorrow...I hope) and am considering a Rekluse along with a 16T & throttle cam to help me get aquainted to our slippery NW trails. Lots of road and track time...not so much in the rocks. I've read good things about them but most of the posts are dated.

Care to share?

I like mine a lot. I think it's a huge help when the going gets tough. Slippery, muddy, root infested woods around here it really shines. Well worth it in my opinion. I never used one before I put one in the 950. It's like the bike lost 100lbs in the trails. Just concentrate on your line and balance. The LC8 version is the PRO model so you still have full override of your clutch if need be. If you've never ridden w/ one I find it takes about 50 miles to get use to it, then you're good to go. If I can be of anymore help let me know. PM me if you'd like a price, I keep the LC8 version in stock.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Yes and No!

There's trade offs with a Rekluse. Parking a bike on an incline (facing uphill or down hill) and losing the ability to push start a bike are two.

It will transform your whole off road riding experience. Being able to walk along side the bike as you slowly twist the throttle is a plus for loading it into a pickup. Riding without a functioning slave unit or a broken lever is another.

Having one, also makes valve checking problematic, if your used to turning the rear wheel to set TDC. On my 640 I have to use the kick starter or bump the electric starter.

daryl

dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Jody H
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I love my Rekluse.
If you take your Adv into UGLY terrain it's a must have modification.
If you're a gravel road kind of guy, don't bother.

(btw: nice talking to you on the phone cj, can't wait for the Akra inserts to arrive)
'09 Aprilia Mana
Jody H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
evoluzione
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddwmac

Care to share?
i have the exact setup (rekluse, 16t & our throttle controller) on my 990 and it makes the bike much more comfotable (at least to me) in the rocky trails. i'm not a professional dirt bike rider and there are some trade-offs but they are minor compared to the ease with which i can ride the back road trails. basically, it just allows me to concentrate more on the terrain and my riding.

hope this helps.

ken zeller
president - evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Jeepboy
Roost

Oddometer: 560
Love it.....the 950 is a big bike and in tight woods you have to slow down alot, saves the left forearm

My toys:
04 YZ250F
04 950 Adventure S--lost to fire
06 KLX 110
07 950 Super Enduro

http://www.katoom.smugmug.com/
$5 Smugmug coupon: FDURkYt1pFdQw
http://www.youtube.com/Katoom950
Jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,169
I haven't ridden with one but if I understand it's operation correctly, when you stall out on a steep hill, the bike will roll back whereas with a standard clutch and engine compression, you have another hand brake. Not a huge consideration but I've used mine a few times in hairy situations and was glad I had the option of using the clutch as a brake with the engine off.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Q500
velvet hammer

Oddometer: 177
A non-issue. The bike will not stall if set up correctly. Try to imagine a car with a auto stopped on a hill. Do you need to do anything to stop from rolling backwards? As long as its running the only thing that you have to do is give it some throttle. As a side note it cranks up the probability of wheelies 10 fold. It will make almost any bike highly wheelie prone. That is a huge plus in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
I haven't ridden with one but if I understand it's operation correctly, when you stall out on a steep hill, the bike will roll back whereas with a standard clutch and engine compression, you have another hand brake. Not a huge consideration but I've used mine a few times in hairy situations and was glad I had the option of using the clutch as a brake with the engine off.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #9
Toddwmac OP
ADV addict

Oddometer: 283
Thanks guys...it is now on the short list
Toddwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
You are correct.....you loose the ability to use the engine compression should the bike's engine quit running. But its not a Non-Issue.

Like someone said...theres no stalling at all, regarding the use of the clutch.

However....stalling could occur if for some reason the bike isn't running correctly and dies at idle. This could be the result of bad gas or a fouled plug, etc.

If descending a hill using a Rekluse, a slight burp of the throttle and engine breaking can be used with the engine running. If the bike is not running, all engine breaking is lost.

Like I said...there are trade offs.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 03-27-2010 at 04:04 AM
Old 03-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #11
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c
If descending a hill using a Rekluse, a slight burp of the throttle and engine breaking can be used with the engine running. If the bike is not running, all engine breaking is lost.

Like I said...there are trade offs.

daryl
It takes a while to get used to that! The Rekluse disengages...... so you have to blip the throttle to engage it again to get engine breaking.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #12
Jody H
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
On steep slow descents I keep the rear brake covered with my foot and blip the throttle as needed to maintain compression braking. It's a skill you'll pick up quickly.
'09 Aprilia Mana
Jody H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
dezracer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
I like mine. Especially in the tight stuff. So my bike is in the shop right now for a valve check. What is the correct procedure for finding TDC with a Rekluse???

Suspension by Super Plush
Rekluse Pro Auto Clutch
WINGS N.O.S Exhaust
Euro Headlight with PIAA bulbs
KTM Hard Parts Radiator Cover
CJ Racer Clear Spoke Clutch Cover
Hilslamer Long Pegs
GPR Stabilizer
DH Racing tripleclamps
'300' Throttle Cam
16t CS Sprocket
Mefo "Super Explorers"
Ram Mount Garmin 76c
PABIKER sidestand relocaton kit.
2007 KTM 300XC (long live lightweight 2-strokes)

Las Vegas, NV and the Great Mojave Desert
dezracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
evoluzione
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezracer
... So my bike is in the shop right now for a valve check. What is the correct procedure for finding TDC with a Rekluse???
if the shop doesn't know how to find t.d.c. i think i would find another shop to check/adjust my valves.

ken zeller
president - evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:18 AM   #15
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezracer
I like mine. Especially in the tight stuff. So my bike is in the shop right now for a valve check. What is the correct procedure for finding TDC with a Rekluse???
If its a KTM shop, I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure you told the shop you had one installed. Just out of courtesy for the individual who may be test riding the bike when the service is complete.

A common way of setting TDC is to pull the plug or plugs, place the bike in gear and rotate the rear tire by hand. This is not the only way to do it, there are others.

You can't use this technique with a Rekluse installed. With the bike not running, any gear its in will feel like neutral. Thats why you loose the ability to push start the bike and need to be careful parking on a steep incline facing either uphill or downhill.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 03-28-2010 at 05:35 AM