User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Jedi5150 OP
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
Canon lense advice

Hello all, I'm ready to pull the trigger on my first lense to supplement or replace the kit lense that came with my Canon T3 Rebel.
I've narrowed it down to two, and I could use some suggestions from the photogs out there. The first is the Canon 70-200 F/4L IS:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
And the second is the Canon 24-105 F/4L IS:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
They both have outstanding reviews, and I'm aware they fill two different roles. So here's where I'm at. My kit lense is an 18-55, and my primary photos are on motorcycling and backpacking trips. I often find myself limited in zoom, and wish I could get just that litte bit closer to the subject. It seems the 24-105 would be sort of the ideal upgrade as a general replacement for the kit lense (I know I'd lose a little bit on the wide end but I could probably make due for now).
On the other hand, my brother explained that if I was willing to keep the kit lense for the majority of the photos I'm currently taking, the 70-200 F/4 would allow me to take landscape and people photos in a whole new way, and even encourage me to think about types of composition that I hadn't before. That sounds very cool in and of itself.
So I'd love to hear suggestions from you guys as to what you'd do in my shoes. I'd like to know how much optical clarity and color, et.c gains I'd be getting by going to the 24-105 over what I'm currently using. Would it really be noticeable in the majority of my pics? I'll be honest that part of what is holding me back from the 24-105 is knowing in the back of my mind that Canon's 24-70 F/2.8 is en even better lense in that same range, whereas the 70-200 I'm looking at is arguably the best lense made in that range and for those uses (I know about the 70-200 F/2.8L, but allegedly the optical clarity is no better than the F/4, and unless you need the requirements of F2.8, you really gain nothing by spending twice as much).
I guess it all comes down to, replace my kit lense with a great all-around general purpose, that I might wish to improve on even more down the road, or get a telephoto zoom that I'll be satisfied with for that type of shooting for many years.
Just to help out, here are some examples of the types of pics I'm currently taking on trips:

Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Arby60
Bluegrass Rider

Oddometer: 216
I'm not a professional photographer, but I have been a Canon SLR user for many, many years. I will offer an opinion based on my experiences. If your camera is a crop camera, which I believe it may be, you have to factor that in when making lens selections. In other words, on a crop camera multiply the stated focal length of the lens x 1.6 to get the effective range on your camera. Thus the effective range of a 24-70 lens will be around 38-112. You lose some on the low end and gain on the high end. I have the 70-200 F/4L IS lens; very expensive. I have used it one time. It is just too big and heavy to take on a motorcycle trip, IMO. The lens that stays on my camera most of the time is the Canon EF-S 10-22 USM. A great lens and particularly handy for landscapes. If I ever add another walk around lens it would likely be something in the range of a 24-70, 24-105. Very versatile and not too large. Good luck.
Arby60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Ungaro
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I have been a professional photog for 30+ years. In the last 12 with Canon gear. Travelled to all continents minus Australia on the job. All L lenses are superb quality for pro applications but somewhat heavier than the consumer grade stuff. Between the two the 24-105 is smaller and more handy on a crop camera. The 70-200/4 IS L is the sharpest zoom Canon ever made and not heavy at all unlike it's big brother the 70-200/2.8. I have been using one for five years or so.... On a crop camera it is a little long for everyday applications, but great for people shots.

The 24-70/2.8 is a good lens but it's a beast. Big, heavy and has some focusing issues at 2.8. Awesome color. On the road dust can be an issue, frequent lens changes can be a PITA in dry/windy areas. We all use it but in my opinion it is not very practical for the road.

There is a very good wide to short telephoto for crop cameras: 17-55/2.8 USM. L quality glass, but not dust-proof and somewhat less durable than the L lenses. A very good general purpose lens on crop bodies.

Optically all these lenses are top notch. Here you have it. For an adv rider with a crop body I would go for the 24-105 and keep the 10-22.....
Ungaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Jedi5150 OP
Road Warrior

I appreciate the feedback gentlemen. I'm also wondering how soon I'll be upgrading my camera body itself, which is why I'm only considering lenses that will also work with a full frame camera. It sounds like it would be tough to beat the 24-105 F4L, given my intended uses.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,395
Yeah 24-105 can do 90% of what you need and it's compact and extremely sharp and has the image stabilization which is really nice. The 70-200 2.8 I rarely use - maybe 5% of the time if that. So infrequently that I rarely pack it. Invest in glass for the long term as its more important than the camera.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Jotaga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
To have just one with you: 24-105
To keep the kit lens: 70-200

Consider that both are optimum lenses, but you can get almost the same with a non L glass... Think about the 28-135...

And... If you really want maximum quality, you must go to prime lenses... (one focal distance only)

I have the 24-105 and it has some front focus... A pita, even considering that my 7d has focus microadjusment...

Keep in mind that the differences are noticeable mainly on the corners, or if you are pixel peeping...
Old 10-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
I could write on and on for hours but I'll spare you and just say EF-S 17-55 F2.8IS and EF 85 F1.8
Old 10-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
L lenses are amazing but HEAVY.

what would you pros use for a carry-around lense? one that you would use if you have to carry your camera for 10 hours?
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
That'sLife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
photography-on-the.net/forum/

Great Canon photography forum. In the lense sample archive you can see photographs taken by members with any lense you are considering.

I had a T2i and sold it for the 60d when it came out. I love shooting with primes mostly but I did buy the EF-S 15-85 and EF-S 55-250 for when I'm not using primes. The 15-85 is a great lense IMHO. The FOV will roughly the same as the 24-105. I would say that the 24-105 would be a little restrictive on the wide end for a crop body. The 55-250 is a darn good value as far as I'm concerned.

Research all you can. Also lenses usually retain their value really well so if you buy EF-S lenses you can sell them later if you wind up going full frame later. I figured I would too at some point but honestly I'm in no rush.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Jedi5150 OP
Road Warrior

Thanks for the suggestion on the POTN forum. Funny enough, someone on snipershide.com had also just suggested the same forum, so I registered and posed the same question to them.

I think I could drive myself crazy figuring out which would be the best lense to get. I just keep coming back to the same thought that I've never heard a single complaint about the 70-200 F/4L IS, as far as quality is concerned. I understand some folks leave it at home because it doesn't suit the type of shooting they do, but I've only ever heard rave reviews about the actual quality of the lense.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
blackripley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungaro View Post
I have been a professional photog for 30+ years. In the last 12 with Canon gear. Travelled to all continents minus Australia on the job. All L lenses are superb quality for pro applications but somewhat heavier than the consumer grade stuff. Between the two the 24-105 is smaller and more handy on a crop camera. The 70-200/4 IS L is the sharpest zoom Canon ever made and not heavy at all unlike it's big brother the 70-200/2.8. I have been using one for five years or so.... On a crop camera it is a little long for everyday applications, but great for people shots.

The 24-70/2.8 is a good lens but it's a beast. Big, heavy and has some focusing issues at 2.8. Awesome color. On the road dust can be an issue, frequent lens changes can be a PITA in dry/windy areas. We all use it but in my opinion it is not very practical for the road.

There is a very good wide to short telephoto for crop cameras: 17-55/2.8 USM. L quality glass, but not dust-proof and somewhat less durable than the L lenses. A very good general purpose lens on crop bodies.

Optically all these lenses are top notch. Here you have it. For an adv rider with a crop body I would go for the 24-105 and keep the 10-22.....
+1 to everything Ungaro has said. I'm also a professional photographer (curntly shooting Hasselblad and Nikon) and he is offering great advice the only thing I can add is you can get great deals on the 24-105 if you buy "white boxed" ones that are split from the kit and are new but not in a retail box. As for the 24-70 2.8 no IS and good luck finding one the new one is just hitting the market for $2300.00 and back ordered everywhere.
Now if you were to ask what is in my kit when I'm not working but shooting for fun 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.8 (all for the full frame)
blackripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #12
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Of your two choices, I would probably go with the 70-200. I'm just a hobbyist and got my own kit less than a year ago, but my rationale would be to focus on completing the kit rather than upgrading it at this point. Obviously, the added lens should still be good enough quality that it itself won't be in question for an upgrade (until much) later. ymmv.

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #13
nealcassady
Novice

Oddometer: 368
Since you're using a crop body, the 24-105 would restrict you to 38mm on the wide end. That's not wide enough in my opinion for a general purpose, everyday lens. I think you'd want 24mm effective, so I say keep the kit lens and go for the 70-200 if you must buy one of the two because it adds capability rather than taking something away. However, I don't think f4 is fast enough, especially for a long lens where hand-hold capability will be reduced. In practical terms, the longer the lens the faster it ought to be. I much prefer fast primes, although I realize they're not so practical for compact travel and use in dusty environments. Honestly, if it were me, I'd be inclined to hold off until you can upgrade the body to a full-frame and get the 24-105 at the same time. And then I'd be targeting the 70-200 f2.8 as the next upgrade (assuming you're determined to stay with zooms rather than primes). The up side of using the crop body is that you're not pushing the limits of the lenses at the corners the way you would be with a full-frame, and therefore can get acceptable quality with lower cost lenses.
nealcassady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,228
70-200 f4 L. Then the 17-40 f4 L. That is what I would take on the bike. I have the 70-200 2.8 and would want something lighter and cheaper.

With the way new cameras handle high ISO I don't see the big need for fast lenses. Unless you want the nice smooth out of focus background that you get from fast lenses.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #15
Justav
MasterLurker

Oddometer: 29
How about 3rd party lenses?

For situations as you are describing them, I am using the Tamron 18-270 lens (also with a Canon crop DSLR). I consider the image and build quality superior to any of the Canon kit lenses, and value the flexibility and convenience on a trip much over the incremental picture quality I could obtain from heavier, full frame Canon lenses that I also own.
For me, it is all about missed opportunities.

If I want additional choices and want to carry the extra weight, the next ones I end up taking are typically
- EF-S 10-22mm
- EF 50mm/1.4
- EF 135mm/f2L

past:
'97 R1100R (US), '92 VX800 (US)
'90 VX800 (DE), '86 XBR500 (DE), '79 RD200 (DE)
Justav is offline   Reply With Quote