ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
johnrm OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
DS routes connecting Oakland & Auburn

It looks like its possible on county/local roads until reaching the TNF near Foresthill but i was wondering if there was any dirt to be had between the two. Im on a 125 so fwys are out of the equation and i'd rather ride than trailer the bike if i can. TIA
johnrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 9,257
This isn't dirt, but does keep you off the highways. If you can maintain 55 mph, you should be fine on this route.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Oakl...!1b1!3e0?hl=en
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
johnrm OP
n00b

Thanks HCH

I sub'd some state routes for some interregional roads since it has to be a pretty good day when i can average 55 over a 4 hour period.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Oakland to Auburn (or A to O?) on a 125 sounds like an interresting mission. You`re thinking about an out-and-back or just one way? Good luck with it, and if you file a trip report, I hope I see it.
bdesj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
chris666
Burgundy Topz

Oddometer: 360
I would tend to agree with that route, but I would take 160 all the way up into Sacramento. Then take Folsom Blvd up into Folsom and Salmon Falls Road out to Cool then down into the canyon and up to Auburn. We do similar rides on our vintage 2 stroke scooters.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
johnrm OP
n00b

My destination would actually be Dutch Flat

about 1/2 way between Sacramento and Reno. It's a beautiful old mining town in the foothills. Tons of stuffto ride up there as well.

I think riding SR 160 would be a gas. The funky roads that zig zag the valley floor dont worry me as much as the 6 lane roads between Sacramento, Folsom and Auburn. Once im in Auburn i can ride frontage roads the rest of the way.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Lots of locals on this board ride that area, lots of good stuff to be found there.

I used to own a dr125, I had a carrier that fit into the hitch receiver on my truck, I don't think it was too expensive.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #8
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrm View Post
The funky roads that zig zag the valley floor dont worry me as much as the 6 lane roads between Sacramento, Folsom and Auburn.
I don`t know the western part of your route, but from Folsom to Auburn is simple- Auburn Folsom Rd is a rolling paved 2-lane with fairly heavy traffic but mostly with 35 or 45 speed limit.

Nothing wrong with the frontage roads from Auburn to Dutch Flat, but also consider taking Forest Hill Divide Road from the north side of Auburn to the little town of Forest Hill (bigger than D.F., but still no metropolis) and cutting across to Colfax via Yankee Jims. It`s a neat old wagon road that winds down into the canyon to a day use area/swimming hole/kayak put-in under a historic bridge, then winds up the other side to just outside of Colfax. One lane, well maintained gravel, very cool, and easy to find. You`ll see a sign right on the main drag of Forest Hill that with an arrow that says "Colfax 15" or something like that.

bdesj screwed with this post 02-12-2015 at 08:02 PM
bdesj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #9
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
That is a good tip because I believe there are a couple of sections between Auburn and Colfax where the frontage roads don't go all the way through. From Yankee Jims to dutch flat you can keep off 80 the whole way.

This is going to be a long day of riding on a 125!
Old 02-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #10
johnrm OP
n00b

I like that route ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
I don`t know the western part of your route, but from Folsom to Auburn is simple- Auburn Folsom Rd is a rolling paved 2-lane with fairly heavy traffic but mostly with 35 or 45 speed limit.

Nothing wrong with the frontage roads from Auburn to Dutch Flat, but also consider taking Forest Hill Divide Road from the north side of Auburn to the little town of Forest Hill (bigger than D.F., but still no metropolis) and cutting across to Colfax via Yankee Jims. It`s a neat old wagon road that winds down into the canyon to a day use area/swimming hole/kayak put-in under a historic bridge, then winds up the other side to just outside of Colfax. One lane, well maintained gravel, very cool, and easy to find. You`ll see a sign right on the main drag of Forest Hill that with an arrow that says "Colfax 15" or something like that.
Driving down Yankee Jim from Foresthill ive noticed A LOT of MC trails

Love taking Yankee Jim between Foresthill and Colfax. Little out of the way but i take the long way anyway.